Wednesday, 4 August 2010

2nd post of the day - please scroll down for earlier post

I don't know about you but I always have trouble with sympathy cards. I have been asked by friends to do many over the years and they never get any easier. I was asked a question yesterday and it set me thinking. I have this fabulous Hero Arts stamp (sentiment's also Hero Arts btw) and so I stamped both in memento Tuxedo Black on white card (from Wilkinson’s). I had two sheets of Coredinations in shades of grey which I decided to use. I cut a 12cm panel of the darker grey and a 10cm of the lighter grey which I then ran through my die cut inside a "snake skin" embossing folder. On the larger panel I used the Tim Holtz Design Ruler and a pokey tool to make holes for the "faux stitching", I then "joined the dots" with a white gel pen. I adhered the base panel to my cream card. I distressed around the embossed panel and then sanded the raised part before adhering that, centrally, on the stitched panel. I rounded the edge on the matching light grey panel and stuck the smaller panel of darker grey on to it too. I then attached the check ribbon (to lighten the sombreness of the card) across the panel, fastening at the back and then stuck to the embossed panel. I rounded the edged of my image panel and then edged with Tuxedo Black before adhering too. For the sentiment I die cut a circle round the sentiment and then cut a larger circle of the dark grey coredinations which I then edged with my Tim Holtz distressing tool. I attached more check ribbon (cutting out a V at each end) before sticking to the back of the grey circle and then attached the black edged sentiment. I then stuck the sentiment embellishment at an angle and there you have it. I hope you agree that it will strike the right note for a sympathy card, ready for when I have the need for such a thing.

I have to say that I don't really care for making sympathy cards but it's a sad fact that all card makers will have wrestled with this knotty problem.


HOWEVER, and on a MUCH brighter note, my friend Dorothy went in to hospital on Monday and had her long awaited replacement knee operation yesterday. Her daughter rang me today to say her surgeon is pleased with her progress and would like to do the other knee within twelve months. I am hoping that Dorothy will make a good recovery and will soon be feeling the benefits of more mobility and considerably less pain. I'm only sorry that I shan't be able to visit her until early next week as we are away for a few days from tomorrow. I have sent her a card though, to let her know we're thinking of her. Get well soon Dorothy.


And here's Robbie (previously known as NIGEL) who has now settled in with my neighbour and who was introduced to us this afternoon. Isn't he adorable?

5 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Agree with you...the hardest cards to make....but you've done a great job here. Enjoy your days away.

Dora said...

Hi Kathy, just saw your comment, thank you for your wishes for Friday... can't wait. Yes, it's very untimely but we thought they might have it ready for when we come back.. fingers crossed. and that was my hubby in photo :) Ssssh he doesn't like his photo on internet he he xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

I agree too Kathy. You get no pleasure from making sympathy cards. Its always a difficult job. Your card is perfect and very tasteful. I like it a lot. You can see a lot of effort has gone into it and I think that counts for a lot when you've lost someone.

Awwww Robbie is such a cutie.

Hope the car made it back unscathed....

Lauren x

Fleur said...

Kathy a beautiful card - perfect for such an occassion
Hugz Fleur xXx

My name is Wynneth said...

You did a wonderful job with the sympathy card Kathy, they are never easy to make I know.

Here's hoping that Dorthy is well on the mend by now and I am sure your card will have cheered her up after her surgery.
hugs
wynneth
x