Tuesday, 1 February 2011

2nd post of the day - please scroll down to read earlier post

Hi there - me again,

I blame the lovely Brenda Brown (see her blog here) for this afternoon's offering. Why? I hear you ask ...... well because she seems to be really good at Steampunk (sez me) and I keep meaning to have a go but never getting round to it so, having seen her fab effort today, I decided that today would be the day.

WHAT IS STEAMPUNK?????? According to Wikipedia - "Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history".

Now, before you all have a look at my artwork (?!) I must set your expectations . . . . in the scheme of things they're pretty crappy but - as I've said to people before, everyone has to start somewhere. I like one of them and not the other and am interested to know what my readers reckon to them both. Again, I'm not expecting you to love them but I AM interested to hear your comments - how will I learn otherwise? I think I may have simply missed the full meaning of Steampunk with one of them ----- must try harder!
Materials used:
ATC blank
Distress inks in Aged Paper, Tea Dye, Frayed Burlap, Rusty Hinge
Images by Paper Artsy, Stamp Attack and inked in D.I.'s, versacolour gold
Sentiment by Stamp Attack and inked in memento tuxedo black
Materials used:
ATC blank
Distress inks in Aged Paper, Tea Dye, Frayed Burlap, Rusty Hinge
Images by Paper Artsy, Stamp Attack and Judikins and inked in D.I.'s, versacolour gold, Brilliance Cocoa
Genuine Postage stamp from aeons ago!

A few quick messages . . . Happy Birthday to Dave (Karen's hubby, who's celebrating today), hope this afternoon went well for you Wynneth and Tom and that this evening will go well for you, Lauren.

Hope your Tuesday is going according to plan and you are having some fun - see you tomorrow - it's Whats On Your Work Desk Wednesday too!!!


4 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I really like them,Kathy.....particularly the first one.....it's always good to try something new....as I'm finding with the art journaling.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Oooh fabby. I can tell you were finding your feet by the time you got to the second one. I reckon you could keep adding to the top one until you get the feel you're after. You've definitely got the idea. Lx

Fleur said...

Wow Kathy these are fab ~ the muted colours are perfect
Hugz Fleur xXx

Brenda Brown said...

Oh thankyou for the compliment and the link Kathy, that's so sweet of you. I am glad I have inspired you to have a go and I have to say I think you've made a fantastic start. The second one I think is more steampunk than the first, but I agree with Lauren some contraption added to the first one will finish it off. Look at June's blog at Dezinaworld, she has steampunk stuff you can download. Go girl.
luv and hugs{brenda} xoxox