Sunday, 13 March 2011

Morning and welcome to Sunday morning

Morning and welcome to what really SHOULD be a nice lazy Sunday morning!

I say SHOULD be on the grounds that we had a bit of a late night and a few bevies with pals last night and expected a nice slow start this morning . . .  WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flipping Heck . .  06:15 I was wakened to the sound of raucous chirping! And I don't just mean one of two birds having a bit of an argy bargy as I got out of bed to have a look and "even" went downstairs and out in to the back garden to see what the heck it was. It was about 70 (I kid you not on the numbers, my roof was black with the little perishers) crows/rooks/jackdaws - can't tell the difference even when wide awake, well certainly not from that distance! It was like a scene from "The Birds". They flew off and I returned to my bed . . . . less than five minutes later a blooming flock of geese did a bit of a flypast!! WHAT! Not like we live next to the wildfowl and wetlands trust at Slimbridge or anything so why our roof!

Our friends, Liz and Graeme, came round to dinner last evening and my hubby served us us a DELICIOUS roast gammon joint with all the trimmings and followed it with a mixed berry crumble - yummmmmmmmy! The purpose of the evening was to book a flight for Liz to join us out in Florida at our next trip, which we achieved before dinner - all very civilised and now we are all looking forward to it. Of course, I am particularly looking forward to this trip as I received an e-mail this very morning to tell me that the Scrap Book and Stamping expo (normally in May) is going to occur very shortly after our arrival - YEEEEEE HAAAA indeed! Poor Liz will just have to accompany me! Steve will, of course, be doing something else that morning! - from watching his hair grow to visiting the Home Depot (like B&Q)!!!

Anyway, after my VERY disturbed night I get up to check out the Sunday themed challenge over on CMLI and it's BOOKS - so my first entry (which is topical this morning) is "To Kill a Mocking Bird"!!!! Actually, I made this last night as an "Off the Edge" entry over on Simply Less Is More but it somehow seemed so appropriate!, I just couldn't resist it!


Materials used:
  • Lilac C6 card and envelope
  • Dimension fourth leafy image inked in memento grape jelly
  • Paper Artsy bird and Stampworld sentiment inked in Ranger Archival jet black
  • Highlighted with a Sakura clear glitter gel pen

Hope you like it and I do hope that my "flock" didn't stop by your place last night too!!



38 comments:

Mandi said...

Hi Kathy
Oh dear you were awake early, just what you didn't need!
this card is FAB, thansk so much for entering again

mandi
"Less is More"

Jo said...

Another lovely card Kathy. Not the best way to start your Sunday is it? They can make a racket on their own, never mind in such a number. Jo x

Dora said...

Wow this is fantastic Kathy, you seem to love this style so much, it is so you! .. Hope the birds don't come to disturb you again :) Hugs xx

Brenda Brown said...

A scene from the Birds eh? I remember that film, we have magpies do a similar thing, especially if the cats are about.
Great little card again and yep very topical for you.
Hope you are having a great weekend.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Sue said...

Another very pretty card.

starcyl said...

I like this and as you were woken by the birds seems appropriate somehow!
Jenny x

Katalytic said...

Great card Kathy, love the colour of the ink

ding said...

Really like this card Kathy, it's wonderful!!
Love bird images on cards, but with you on not loving them early in the morning...not appreciated!! Have an afternoon nap!
Diane x

Viv said...

Great card, love that colour,placement too! we were also awakened by birds at 6 ish today......pigeons though...and with only one thing on their minds lol,coo -cooing for all they were worth.. drove us potty!!! Viv xx

joey said...

Gorgeous card Kathy I love the lilac shade you used, thats a great stamp. Joey x

Debs M said...

love this card Kathy x

Lynne said...

Fantastic card and very appropriate. I love your little tale, I`m not sure if I was supposed to laugh but I did, sorry. We get woken up at 4.15 by blackbirds but at least they can sing.
Lynne xxx

joanne wardle said...

lovely card, very elegant. pretty impressive on very little sleep!

Rita said...

A beautiful card Kathyk. Maybe in time I can do something like this, its so pretty. Hugs Rita xxx

Wishcraft said...

Gorgeous card, love the colour you've used :o) Lisa x

massofhair said...

Think this is my favourite out of your three entries. Fab colours, fab placement and lovely images. Am a big fan of Fourth Dimension stamps and Paper Artsy too.
Hope you manage an afternoon nap:-)

Lynne K said...

LOVE this card, Kathy! It's a very restful scene, which is a bit ironic given the circumstances! Lynne x

Erica said...

THanks for the comment on my card Kathy.
I like the sentiment direction on yours...so tough to find vertical stamps.

JeNjOy said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for my comment, love the colour you have used, grape jelly, sounds delish lol.
jenjoy x

Susan said...

I'm afraid if I don't get enough sleep, my stamping would be awful! This card is awesome...love the purples!

scrappyjacky said...

So what on earth have you been painting on your roof to attract all the birds.....scrub it off whatever it is!!!!An apt card indeed.
We also had a yummy meal with friends last night....though it did require rather a lot of housework first!!!!!

Chrissie said...

Great card Kathy, I wonder what caused the birds to congregate? Sounded a bit scary!
It super to see you each week Kathy... here's to next tome!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Angelnorth said...

Love the foliage in purple and I'm sure you like the bird on the card better than the ones on your roof this morning!

Lauren Hatwell said...

This is great Kathy. I really love it. I'm surprised and impressed that you can look another birdie in the face quite frankly. Lx

Maureen said...

Love this card, especially the foliage!!

Faith A said...

The black bird finishes this off perfectly, love it

Sasha said...

Lovely card! I love the little bird perched in the branches and your colour choice.

Joan said...

Lovely card,the foliage stamp is lovely,like the bird too. We have loads of crows,rooks and jackdaws most days,we have to feed them scraps so they don't wreck the bird feeders which are for the little birds !

Vicky Hayes said...

I love the black bird on the pretty lilac-coloured branches. Why is it we're never woken up when we've had a lovely early night and are completely rested?!!

Jose said...

'GORGEOUS' card Kathy
Jose x

Aileen said...

Love everything about your card. How appropriate that it has bird on it after your early morning alarm call!! x

Cherry said...

Such sumptuous foliage and one quiet birdie - just perfect. What an awful way to be woken! I hope you told them how rude they were - lol. Here's to a peaceful and restful night. Hugs Cherry XXx

My name is Wynneth said...

Faberooney card Kathy, love the colours and how appropriate a subject given your rude awakening !!!
hugs
wynneth
x

mustavcoffee said...

Hi there, fab card, it's almost Asian the colours are pretty and it's so CAS:0)
Thank you for your visit to my blog and your very kind words:0) xxx

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Birds must have been on your brain after your wake up call :-) This one is just gorgeous. I really love the silhouette against the pale purple.
Caroline xxx

Suze Bain said...

Beautiful card Kathy, that's a super foliage stamp and love the colour you've used. x

sharingthepassion said...

this is stunning Kathy, love everything about it!

Ali x

Sonia said...

This is a pretty card love the colour you you have used, lilac is my favourite colour. Your so right about the number of different stamps that can be used. Thank you for visiting my blog.
Hugs Sonia x