Friday, 15 July 2011

Collage work

Afternoon all,

You know, I've only ever nibbled at the edges of collage work .... mostly with distress inks and rubber stamps and NEVER (YET) with acrylics.

However, whilst at the Newbury Artstamps show recently, I entered my name in the prize draw at the Traplet Publications stand ..... and won. "What's this got to do with anything?" I hear you cry ..... don't get impatient - I'm getting to that bit! Part of the prize was two DVD's by Kate Crane. Now she's a collage artist of some repute and presented her step by step instructions on collage journalling over the two DVD's in a most interesting way - in fact I couldn't wait to get started so I actually ignored her cardinal rules of preparing my own colour wheel for the project and using adjacent and opposite colours ...... well, when you only have four colours of acrylic paints you find yourself just a BIT limited!!! These also happened to be: Pearl, Peach Bellini, Eggplant (purple - who'd have thought it?) and Copper. In fact I didn't wait till I got to the end of Kate's DVD - I dashed off and gesso'd three ATC blanks and then returned to my DVD watching

As soon as this was dry it was ........ off at a gallop! I laid out my non stick craft sheet (well a teflon oven liner at about 99p from Aldi anyway!) I ripped the tops off of my Ranger acrylic dabbers - oh bu**er! - all set fairly hard. So - out to the kitchen to add a little water and then stir with my "lolly stick" purloined from my last foray to Costa. I used my dabbers with the lids off so I could use a broad brush to apply the paint on to my ATC's ....... then left to dry once again - back to my DVD watching!

Looking rather yummy but a bit bland don't you think? WELL, you've plainly not watched this DVD either then! Of course, with the paint applied thinly it didn't take long to dry so it was time to gather (like a beachcomber) the bits for my next step .......... the lids from two different pump toothpastes, some sequin waste and the top of one of my acrylic dabbers. First off I took a piece of cut 'n dry and a little eggplant acrylic and applied randomly through the sequin waste - which also just happened to be purple - go figure!Kate rather cunningly recommends an old credit card but all the ones I have are current but fortunately, I had the malice aforethought and bought the Ranger version whilst at the Newbury show - PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, saved again. I put a little of the acrylic copper on to my craft sheet and pulled my ranger spreader through and then added to my ATC's. I also put a little of my newly re-activated eggplant acrylic on to my craft mat and swirled my lids round in it and ..... Voila! I did the same using the pearl paint and a different sized lid


Then it was time to break out the glimmer mists ..... in Tanzanite ..... are you sensing a purple theme thing going on here? I selected a grumpie which I then coloured with my new marvy alcohol markers and cut out


I then added a Tim Holtz ticket which had received the distress ink treatment  and to which I then added the grumpie phrase (also D.I.'d) and then all that was left was to add the journalling and a scribbled border and there you have it ..... my first ATC finished.


Well, what do you think? Will it pass for a first attempt? All I can say is thank heavens Kate Crane reckons there are no mistakes in art!!!! Thanks, Kate. Want to investigate Kate's DVD's for yourself? Try Here

Another inspirational mixed media/collage artist is Brenda Brown - check out her blog here

If you think it's OK then perhaps you'll check back again to see what happened to the other two too!!! In the meantime - the sun is over the yard arm AND it's Friday so ...... Cheers!


10 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Oh my goodness Kathy - this is fabulous, I just love it and it wasn't that hard was it? I can't wait to see what you do with the other two, this is amazing. One of the things I do is keep small pieces/offcuts etc in a book with a quick explanation of how they were made so that I can go back to them all when I need some inspiration - particularly for backgrounds.
Thank you so much for all your lovely comments on my blog and I am glad I am being blamed for this - it's fantastic. Woo hoo.
I think I will join you for a friday evening sip of something - cheers to you too.
luv and hugs {brenda} xixix (woops can't be drunk already!!!!!)

Debs M said...

love it, can't wait to see the next two x

Louise said...

this is brilliant!!!!

Lauren Hatwell said...

Whoop! Whoop! Yay Kathy. Fab technique and I do love a grumpie.... Lx

Katiejane said...

Excellent! I admire this kind of work and for a first effort it's just great! I've seen it alot in craft stamper and it intrigues me every time.
Have a great weekend!
Katie

SallyB said...

Hi kathy
I am having some problems with the computer..It has not been letting me post and is very very slow...not sure whats going on...Even writing now and it is sticking...hope this gets to you. Must get hubby to look at it...

SallyB said...

Hi kathy...
These look great by the way. I love the colours and the patterns. looks like my last comment posted too...hurray!

Dolly Daydreams said...

Hi there, It's time you did more than " Nibbling " This is fabulous, it seems you can do just about anything, well done.

Marie

Cherry said...

I love this Kathy, and want to do lots of it. Maybe a little workshop idea for our next craftathon? Love the layers and textures you have got. Love the top stamps too with the ticket. Can't wait to see where this journey takes you. Hugs Cherry xxxx

thekathrynwheel said...

Tsk tsk, I can't believe you didn't make a colour wheel! Love what you made after watching the DVDs - great stuff!