Thursday, 21 June 2012

A little late but better late than never!!!

Afternoon,

Such a dull old day here in Bristol - anything but sunny - in fact, the rains been coming down in stair rods - for those of you who remember stair rods!!! For those of you who don't - it means it's raining .... A LOT!

A day for crafting and reading methinks. I was on-line on the craftbubble forum before lunch and a crafting buddy mentioned the artistic stamper blog (thanks Clare) so I checked it out. Whilst I was browsing I found a link which mentioned finding a use for another of those temporary adhesives ...... the GLUE STICK. Now I've never been a fan as I've always found that pretty much anything adhered with a glue stick is only temporary ..... consequently, I have several gathering dust in my precious storage space. Imagine my delight when I discovered that not only did I have a use for them but that it was fun to do too!! YAY - Re-SULT! I watched Kaz' video and decided to give it a go.

So ..... here was I stuck indoors because of the blooming rain and in possession of some Tim Holtz tags that were burning a hole in my stash ...... check this out.

Materials gathered? check!



This was how my tag looked glued and inked with tea dye D.I.


Resist revealed with the help of a baby wipe - looked a bit pale so stand by for a little application of vintage photo D.I.

Voila!!!!!!!!!!!!

Materials used:
  • Tim Holtz tag
  • Seam binding stained with various alcohol inks
  • Glue stick
  • Background images by Stampers Anonymous
  • Distress Inks: tea dye and vintage photo
  • Foreground flora by Sunshine Designs, inked using Ranger Archival jet black and heat set
  • Hampton Arts sentiment also inked using Ranger Archival jet black and heat set

CRITIQUE
  1. Would I use this technique again? Yes.
  2. What would I do differently? I would use a newer (or different) glue stick - the one I have was so old it was stringy when I applied it to the images. The video recommended a specific glue stick but I wanted to crack on this afternoon so used what I had. Though, having said that - the stringy effect kind of adds to the grungy effect - don't you think? I might also have gone in with vintage photo first time as the baby wipe used to reveal the "reveal" also removed some of the depth of my colour.
  3. Would I recommend this technique? OH YEAH! Super easy to achieve provided you have a heat gun though I imagine that a hairdryer COULD easily be deployed!
  4. Watch the video link above as it gives you some useful tips

Happy Thursday folks - try and stay dry - if such a thing is possible! One of my pals is on holiday in Devon and reckons she'll be swimming home!! Oops - guess the rain's coming down in those stair rods there too then!



7 comments:

SHARY said...

Oooo now I like that Kathy!! Must take a look. Lovely!!

Yep bucketing it down here too.xx

Lilian said...

Lovely affect Kathy Well done lilian

My name is Wynneth said...

Amazing tag kathy and well done on trying out a new technique. Good to get your critique too, may have to give this one a try myself too. That's a great stamp/text combo, loving the wording.

We've had stair rods all day here and it's so dark, dismal and wet I need to have the light on and I'm sorely tempted to put the central heating on :o(
luv
wynneth
x

scrappyjacky said...

It makes a great result....love the ATC.

Debs M said...

looks great but your gorgeous stamps help! x

clare said...

a great technique kathy, fab stamps too! x

Katiejane said...

What great effects, I love to read up on all the new techniques you try out.
Stair rods?
Have a great evening.
Katie xx