Saturday, 23 June 2012

Saturday and I'd like to share my first SMALL journal page

Weather vile recently and I had finished my kindle book so ...... sat at my computer I paddled about a few blogs before heading to my failsafe inspiration provider - http://www.youtube.com/ I and pretty much ALWAYS find something to inspire me on there - today it turned out to be a couple of Diane Reaveley videos (from CHA) using her new(ish) Dylusions inks for journaling. I have two journals, one very small moleskin journal and a much larger multimedia journal containing black pages. I liked Diane's free and unstructured style and she doesn't always bother to gesso her pages first - though she does use gesso to add texture .......

I watched several of her videos waiting for inspiration to hit and, sure enough, I reached a point where I hit pause and headed to my craft space. So, without further ado - here's the first page of my mini journal ....


Materials used:
  • Water Spritzer (mini mister)
  • Dylusions Inks: Vibrant Turquoise and Bubblegum Pink (I've only got the two so you'll see these a lot!)
  • Perfect Pearls spray Sunflower Sparkle
  • Kitchen roll
  • Heat gun to dry
Back to the youtube videos for more inspiration regarding decorative layers ..... I need to think about scale as this journal is pretty darn small (9cm x 14cm) but ..... I MUST have something I can use to build up something fabulous, after all, Diane makes it look so blooming easy!


Materials used:
  • Dylusions template on corners with Pan Pastels in Phthalo Green and Magenta (well, come on, it's not like you didn't KNOW they'd make an appearance!
  • Paper Artsy leave image inked in Ranger Archival jet black
  • Home made template through which I spritzed the Bubblegum Pink before blotting excess. FYI home made template consists of a piece of acetate from which I've punched a series of circles

Now what I need is some form of focal image and a suitable sentiment/piece of journaling and I think I'm nearly there ..... perhaps a little doodling and highlighting ......


Materials used:
  • White and copper acrylic paint
  • Bottle tops, wine cork and credit cards for applying paint
  • Sequin waste
  • Date stamp inked using Versafine onyx black ink

Well, it's coming along apace but still needs some highlights and some doodling and I'm still pondering my focal image .....


Materials used:
  • Black Pitt pen and White gel pen for doodling and handwritten journaling
  • Crafty Individuals sentiment inked in Ranger Archival jet black
  • Crafty Individuals image inked in Ranger Archival jet black on to an old book page (don't worry there were pages missing when I got it ......)
  • Neocolour II water soluble crayons to colour image and a baby wipe to blend
  • Xyron sticker maker - to apply adhesive to the child image

I'm thinking that it still needs more doodling - your thoughts? I still haven't thought of my main focal image either, for the right hand page.
Meanwhile, over on the Simply Less Is More blog a new challenge was launched at 08:00 and I can hardly wait to get cracking on it, however, I'm out most of this morning (at the surrogates, assembling flat pack furniture - wish me luck!!!). Not that my two fave card styles could be MORE opposite - Clean And Simply and GRUNGY/distressed!! Must try cutesy again as I've not done it for what seems like AGES. Anyway, I digress, this weeks challenge theme is PAPER PIECING - now this is something I don't do a lot so do check back and see what I've come up with


Have a fun day


7 comments:

clare said...

Fab colours and I love that splash of gold. I like to focal image too. Have a good Saturday. X

Debs M said...

looks great, if it is a 2 page spread do you need another focal image? bear in mind tho that im not a journaller! x

scrappyjacky said...

Great first page....and the colours come as no surprise!!!!

My name is Wynneth said...

Fabulous pages kathy, loving your colour combo - I really must acquire some Dylusions inks !! As you're looking for a focal image for the facing page - have you thought about a image of an older child - sort of progression through the ages? Well, I think that's what I'd been considering - just a thought......

Hope the flat pack assembly went well !!!

luv
wynneth
x

Loli. eltallerdelosrecuerdos@gmail.com said...

Hola Kathy, thank you for your kind comment:D
Oooh Kathy fantastic work with your journal, the background colour is gorgeous, perfect stamping combination, a great job Kathy!i hope to see all your journal work
A hug from Palma

Kathryn said...

Wow love it , that little baby's bum ha ha so cute x

EmmGee said...

Hi from sunny (?) Filton! Love the journal's beginnings. I've recently started! Dyan Reavlry is a brilliant inspiration. Well worth the investment in her products. Keep going with this, think it's fine to be both grungy and CAS!! EmmG