Monday, 6 August 2012

Another week - this is a photo heavy post!! You've been warned!

Morning folks,

To those of you curious about the imminent birth of surrogate grandchild. No signs yet and I know this for sure as surrogate daughter was out shopping this morning! Not something you are going to be wanting to do whilst in labour!

Moved on to my second attempt with my gloss gel medium image transfer - more of that later. Suffice it to say it's not going well, so, it's on to Plan B).

The latest issue of Craft Stamper thudded on to my mat last week and, as always, there are a couple of things to look at and adapt and a couple of new techniques to try. I need to try a new technique in order to make a card for the Joanna Sheen challenge "TRY SOMETHING NEW" over on their blog. I made my selection, to try the masking tape method from page 62 ...... even though it meant pinching hubby's wide masking tape.

Reading the instructions, it looked easy enough ..... using distress stain, which I have a couple of - and off I went.


Materials used:
  • White card panel
  • Wide masking tape ripped in to pieces and placed on the card, covering the entire card and over the edges
  • Distress stains: Dried Marigold, Spun Sugar and Walnut Stain
  • Paper towel, to blend
Hmm - perhaps not QUITE the result I was looking for so, out came the inktense blocks ....



Materials used:
  • Inktense blocks: brown and yellow
  • Baby wipe to blend
I'm liking this colour better. In the ideal world I would have had all of the distress stains to choose from but ..... storage is such an issue for me that I opted to just buy a couple, AND used all of them!. Of course, with the addition of all this moisture I found that some of the edges had started to turn up so added just a smidge of glue to those edges and then before cracking on with the stamping my project kind of morphed in to a mixed media project .... wonder how it will translate in to a card ....



Materials used:
  • Kaisercraft gold and Plaid copper acrylic paint
  • Kaisercraft "bubble wrap" image and Dimension crazy paving image
  • Bottle cap
So, what to use and how to apply the image. Well, why not break out another previously untried technique whilst we're about it! I stamped an image on to tissue paper using stazon ink .


Materials used:
  • Paper Artsy image inked in stazon on to tissue paper (it had to be purple stazon because my black had dried up - through lack of use!)
  • Gloss gel medium - used to adhere tissue to panel and then brushed over the entire project and set aside to dry - here's hoping this thinner layer won't be taking too long to dry then!
Once dry I moved on to matting and layering, using black card, Kraft card and an EK success binding edge punch ........ and here it is - at long blooming last!!!
Hope you like it and have enjoyed joining me on this journey - it started off as a cutesy card yesterday, with a pink and yellow polka dot bikini and dame Edna Everage sunglasses and ended up like an art journalesque card, bit of a roller coaster but at least I tried several new techniques:

  1. Gloss gel medium image transfer
  2. Masking tape method (courtesy of craft stamper)
  3. Stamping on tissue paper (thanks to a youtube video for the reminder to use a PERMANENT ink otherwise this technique may well have fallen at the first hurdle too!)

Now - back to the ill fated Gloss gel medium image transfer. After the issues with yesterdays project (I applied the gel medium too thinly and it ripped as I removed the paper backing) I decided to slap a good thick layer on before heading to bed, to avoid fiddling before it was dry (think Glossy Accents people!!!). Now, bearing in mind that there was nothing on the telly (other than wall to wall sport!) I headed upstairs about 9pm (armed with my kindle I should add). As I checked the project this morning, imagine my surprise to see .....



Nope, STILL not dry - after TWELVE HOURS!!! What IS that all about? Does this mean that, like Goldilocks and the three bears that my first layer was too thin and my second layer too thick? Will there even be a third attempt and, if so, WILL it be just right?!?!?!


Happy Monday

9 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love the card,Kathy....it's worked wonderfully.

Lilian said...

Like the finished result Kathy. Well done Hugs lilian

Lauren Hatwell said...

What a great technique Kathy. Looks like it works a treat and the card you made looks really great.

Back to the drawing board with the gel medium maybe

Lx

Katiejane said...

What a great read, you have such a unique way with words.
I guess there is something in the water, everyone seems to be trying new things. Your masking tape technique looked fun I have to say. My Craft Stamper subscription ran out, so I live CS through you now :)
Fingers crossed for attempt 3 btw ;)
Katie x

Debs M said...

fabulous card,loved the tutorial! x

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Good on ya for trying something new . . .that's what I call a challenge!

And well done for perseverance on the gel medium. GOOD LUCK! xxx

mustavcoffee, Gay Peplow said...

Hi Kathy, Your card turned out brilliantly what a lovely layered look you got! As for the gel medium, I've never used it 'yet' so can only guess what's going wrong, perhaps it's your humidity? Good Luck from me, Gay xxx

Cheryl said...

oh these are just brilliant Hun I love using masking tape,love it hugs Cherylxxxxxxxxx

Kathryn said...

Oh the masking tape looks fabby x have you tried image transfer with acrylic paint ? Drys nice n quick and I get quite good result x still I made a few botches before I got the hang of it ha ha xs good luck xx