Saturday, 11 August 2012

Challenges galore!

Hi folks,

It's Saturday and this usually means challenges for me!! Today is no different.

I have prepared some challenge materials for my Isle of Skye trading card swap buddy and wonder what she will make from them ...
Part of me is thinking that one of the pink sheets will be used as a mask and the other for paper piecing but that's just me so, it be fascinating to see what Pam thinks of the materials when she returns her ATC to me. My regular readers will have spotted a similarity between these materials and an ATC made earlier in the week for a swap .... and you're not wrong! The colours and paper are very slightly different but, essentially, it IS the same design you saw here

I nipped out to our local Hobbycraft yesterday and met a crafting buddy (LILIAN) for retail therapy and a natter over coffee. I had nothing on my list other than scrap book extension posts (which they didn't have!) but, as you might imagine, I DID manage to find a little something. I was very reserved and only spent £6!!!
That small feather is lush! and the leaf will make a great background/border stamp. I just liked the little line of littleys too! The Keep Calm sentiment will no doubt come in handy for journaling and I did think I might make ATC's with it and my beloved Pan Pastels! The sketch/journal book was only £1.99 although I did have to prove this as their computer said £2.99 - I won!

There's a new challenge unveiled (at 08:00) every Saturday over on the Simply Less Is More blog and this week it's the dreaded One Layer Card with the challenge: FUR or FEATHERS!



Materials used:
  • 14½cm square white, 250 gsm card and matching envelope
  • 6½cm diameter circular masks and low tack tape to secure in place
  • Distress Inks in squeezed lemonade and tea dye
  • Cats Pyjamas doggy image and sentiment inked in Memento tuxedo black
  • Pumpkin Pro Marker to colour sun umbrella

AND I still have a "TAG, YOU'RE IT!" challenge to achieve for the Cute Card Thursday challenge


And my final make to share with you was just for me! I wanted to get some of my new stamps inky so made an ATC. 
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Hobbycraft clear sentiment inked using versamark ink
  • Violet pan pastel applied over ATC and set with hairspray
  • Hobbycraft wooden backed leaf stamp inked using Color Box violet ink, multiple times
  
It's BALLOON FIESTA weekend here in Bristol  and we normally get a great view of their mass ascent as they pass over. Here's the view this morning ... wind was in totally the wrong direction so we saw - absolutely NOTHING!!! Better luck tomorrow then!
Have a great Saturday

34 comments:

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

lol great to see the balloon fiesta is in full swing lol I actually looked closer at the photo thinking 'what balloons??!!'lol

Great cards...love your sunbathing one. :0)

Debs M said...

great stamp and card and the atc is fab x

Bea said...

gorgeous LiM entry - love the background

Cheryl said...

great,stamps you have there hun,and just love that card so beautiful and great atc,too hugs Cherylxxxxx

clare said...

cool card and love the ATC. glad you won the sketchbook price battle! x

scrappyjacky said...

Love the 'stay cool' card.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wot! No balloons? I can't believe it! Fab one layer card Kathy. I LOVE the image. It's perfect for the theme. Boy do I wish import duty wasn't SO steep.

Lx

xxxtglxxx said...

Hi Kathy :)

Great ATC and fab card hun!

Enjoy your saturday!

hugs

xxalisonxx

Suzi B said...

LOL great story about the balloons.
Love that cool dog!
suzi b xx

Mandi said...

I actually squinted at your photo, but as you say nuffink lol
Terrific view though!
Super cool card, I love the inking
Brill card
Thanks very much
mandi
"Less is More"

Brenda Brown said...

Hi Kathy. Love your pieces and what bargain buys.
I have to say I didn't buy a lot in Michaels tho did get my prisma pencils which was on my list. The scrapbook shop Terry took me too had some great bargains and bits so I did buy a bit more there lol.
The weather is extremely hot, over 100 degrees and we haven't hit the desert yet!!!
Hope all is well with you.
Hugs Brenda xox

serendipity said...

Love your ATC's, both so cool
Jx

Maria Matter said...

fabulous makes Kathy!

sorry you didn't see any balloons, I can imagine its a lovely thing to see the sky filled with them!

Chrissie said...

Cool card Kathy, great inking!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Carole said...

Hi Kathy, love the cards. That kitty is adorable and I love the "Keep Calm" sentiment, great idea!

Berni Cuttino said...

Marvelous. Thanks for your visit and sweet luv. Hugs

The-crafty-corner said...

Hi Kathy -Love your card !Bright and happy :)and the "Craft On" stamp is just up my street !! x

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy. I wonder what you friend will do with the craft things you have sent her.
Take care lilian

Meadie said...

Fabulous cards Kathy - I really love the cute umbrella:) Hugs x x

Inkyfingers said...

Love your sunny Lim card Kathy ~ I wish I were sitting under that umbrella! Hope you see the balloons today.

Craftilicious said...

What a fabulous card Kathy - that dog image is really cool!
Tara
x

Sally said...

Super work Kathy. I love your LIM card, a great stamp. Nice bargains too. I agree with you about the balloon fiesta. I thought they were lucky when the sun shone on Friday but the weather's gone down hill from then, shame. We usually get the balloons over our way as well but nothing this weekend. I always look forward to seeing the Red Arrows too as they fly so low over here but it doesn't look promising for then either.
Sally x

Anne said...

Love your cool LIM card and the Promarker on the brolly just adds a bit of interest - nice touch

Suze Bain said...

Ha, ha, great balloon pic! Very impressed with your reserved shopping, funny how we just have to buy something! Super LIM card too. xx

Gillian said...

Fab cards, hope you got to see some balloons today

Linby said...

Great LIM card. I am surprised you got all that for £6 in Hobbycraft as they always seem so expensive.
Linbyx

Karen Nutkins said...

Love your LiM crd a. The dog is so cool, and the promarker on the umbrella balances the image perfectly.

Susan said...

Love your LIM card...just as cute as can be!

Claudia said...

Hi Kathy, your card for the "Less is More" Challenge is great. Love the stamp and the look you created. Thank you very much also for your visit and your lovely comments on my blog.
Hugs Claudia

Karen said...

Super cute card Kathy - shame about the balloon spotting but hope you caught sight of some next day!

Karen x

Aileen said...

Cute card Kathy. Love his circle of sun. x

Mrs.B said...

Great fun card for LIM and the ATC is a great sentiment.
Avril

Benzi said...

What a fun card for the LIM challenge..love it. Other good work going on, too, I see. Sorry you saw no balloons that day. I can imagine it is quite a beautiful sight to see.

Gay Peplow said...

Hi Kathy, Great card for LIM, cool dog!!! Glad you got to see the balloons ...eventually brilliant sight, xxx