Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Is it Hump day Wednesday or What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday in your house?

It's definitely What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday in my house, since hubby and I gave up on the rat race! Mind you, I suspect my hubby's not very happy today ..... I saw him off on the train this morning, to Gloucester (for the day) but it's been chucking it down in stair rods more or less ever since. I KNOW he has an umbrella but it may not be enough to save him from sogginess but .... fingers crossed!

His being out for the day has at least allowed me to craft without guilt but, before doing that, it was on with the shredding. Yesterday I decided my drawer in the filing cabinet was FULL TO BURSTING! Quite literally so, I took out old correspondence and old bank and credit card statements. Well, we know better than to chuck them away these days don't we? So I set to with the shredder. It didn't seem very long before I had four bags (small bin bags) FULL of shredding and still the same again to go. Hmm, now was NOT a good time for the shredder to chuck its hand in but that's exactly what happened. There was this horrible noise and then - nothing. I turned it off and let it cool down and tried again .... horrible noise but no shredding action - oopsie! I sent for the technical department (aka my hubby) who professed it to be beyond repair .... I think SNAFU'd was the phrase but hey ... On-line to trawl and, a few minutes later a brand spanky new shredder was reserved at our local Argos (about three miles from home) so we nipped out and collected it. Needless to say, this morning has been spent pleasantly (!?) shredding paperwork but it's all done and I have even made it to my craft desk.

I recently shared a card I made using a sketch presented informally by a pal. If you missed it you can see the card here. I used an 8" square card for my take on the sketch. Now, inserts are tricky for these as an A4 doesn't QUITE work! The image was one I had pre stamped and don't have access to the stamp itself so my normal trick of using the same image on the insert and envelope wasn't going to work, so, here's what I came up with instead.



Materials used:
  • Offcuts of the same blue card as used on the outside
  • A4 sheet of white card, cut slightly smaller than the blue panel
  • Unknown (because, frankly, it's a clear stamp I've had for YEARS .... but it might have been Dimension Forth) clear image which included the sentiment
  • Memento Bahama blue ink
  • Crystal stickles
And, as readers may remember, I have a journal page "in progress". I've laid down three layers so far ... if you want to see how it looked before today's "layer" then check it out here, so here's how it looks now. I'm waiting for my paste to dry before tackling the colouring of my two 3D sections, possibly with pan pastels and/or mica powders



Materials used on this layer only:
  • Liquitex "basics" modelling paste
  • Sweet Poppy metal "feather" stencil and That Special Touch plastic "cogs" stencil



And, finally, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday - here is my work desk!, albeit only my "temporary" work desk in the dining room!



Happy Wednesday

3 comments:

butlersabroad said...

You have very fancy card inserts Kathy, I usually print them off in bulk from the computer for the Christmas cards. The journal pages are really cheerful, lovely colours. It looks like my web hosting place closed it's doors for a couple of hours earlier, all back now though!

Hugs
Brenda 5

Debs M said...

great insert and those pages look fabby x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Blimey! A veritable hive of crafty activity Kathy. I'm enjoying seeing your journal page growing each day. Very exciting and it looks great. Lovely card insert too. Lx