Saturday, 18 August 2012

Saturday morning and dinner's on already!

Morning,

Bright (the day, not me!) and early start as hubby's off to the Thornbury Model and Engineering show again today. I leapt out of bed ..... OK "LEAPT" may NOT be quite the way it happened but ..... fruit smoothie accomplished for breakie and the slow cooker warmed whilst I chopped ingredients for tonight's chilli. I only COOK two things - chilli and home made soup!, but I'm not half bad at both of my speciality dishes!

Just as well I was up early as my surrogate daughter2 FINALLY gave birth in the wee small hours of this morning (02:30 to be exact!) - Congratulations to Becky and Chris, the proud parents and to Harry who now has a new brother, Zac. Mother and baby doing well though mum (no surprise here) is very tired. Zac was due on August 5th so we've been anxiously waiting since then.

Yesterday, I met up with a friend with the intention of visiting Carol's Crafts - situated within the Whitehall Garden Centre. The weather was pretty vile so our original plan to head to the Stamp Bug was shelved in favour of this. It came as a bit of a shock therefore, to find out that Carol's Crafts are not there anymore! BUM! Apparently they've moved to a unit within the Galleries shopping mall in Bristol City Centre. School holidays AND the centre of Bristol? NOT a good combination! So, on to plan C, discussed over a coffee in their coffee shop/restaurant. Off to The Range instead as they usually have a fair amount of craft goodies and are also somewhere Sue cannot easily reach on one bus! The Range have moved their craft goodies upstairs and, we both fancied, reduced their "range" too!! Upstairs was STIFLINGLY hot so, needless to say, we didn't stay too long there either. Lunch was next ........ Given the choice of McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, Costa or Greggs - all well healthy!! Sue's a diabetic so we passed on the donuts and millionaires shortbread in Krispy Keme and Costa. There was nowhere to sit in Greggs as all their seating is, optimistically, outside! Back to mine for cheese on toast it was then, but at least we got to chat some more AND compare stash and swap ideas without being thrown out as the local craft loonies!



I was pretty happy with my stash - I've been looking for a decent sized alphabet for scrap booking so was delighted to find the above set, by Papermania, and featuring both upper and lower case lettering - ideal! As for bakers twine, well it's everywhere right now and I sooo didn't want to be left out!


Over on Simply Less Is More the challenge this week is to make a Clean And Simple card featuring "TEARING" and I need to crack on with that some time soon but, with the news earlier, I may just not get round to it today. I've already been out to deliver a congratulatory card and spoken briefly with the proud dad!

But I did!! I've been back in to amend this post to include my card as I'm trying to get out of the habit of more than one post in a day!



Materials used:
  • 14½ cm square 300 gsm scallop edged white card and matching envelope
  • Large black circle (using my new scalloped nestie from the photo above)
  • White circle torn from white/gold mulberry paper (I used a waterbrush and a circular die to give me a line to tear around)
  • Circle die cut from white card
  • Dylusions random spot inked using versamark ink before applying violet pan pastel, set with fixative
  • Paper Artsy image inked in Memento tuxedo black on to white card
  • Distress Ink in pumice stone applied over the star image (with an ink duster) to take off the starkness of the white.
Hope you like, my fellow readers and LIMettes!


Have a great weekend

34 comments:

Suzi B said...

ha haa, I also looked at that alphabet set yesterday in Crewe! that is but didn't buy it. It looks like you'll be having fun with your stash!
suzi b x

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Aww new baby, new stash, a chilli ready for eating(thats one of my specials too)...life sounds good.

Love your feathery torn mulberry ..great effect.

Mandi said...

Sounds like a busy weekend all round Kathy!
Your tearing of the mulberry paper is fantastic, so neat, looks so delicate
FAB card
Have a super weekend
Thank you very much
mandi
"Less is More"

scrappyjacky said...

Love the effect of the tearing....though down here it's far too hot for chilli!!

Lins said...

Beautiful card, the teared circle gives a special effect.

Hugs,

Lins

Debs M said...

looks great Kathy x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Congrats to Becky, Chris and Harry on the safe arrival of Zac.

Chilli sounds lovely and your card is a triumph! Saturday's not turning out too bad is it.

Lx

Pia S said...

Your card looks fab - great design!

clare said...

Fab card. Do you like the ink dusters then kathy?

Margaret said...

Fab card Kathy. Congrats on teh safe arrival of Zac and hope you enjoyed your chilli :0)
Margaret x

Susan said...

I love the soft effect you got with the mulberry paper. I forget that I have that paper and never use it. You've inspired me to get it out and play with it!

Lynn said...

Great card, the colours you've used look so good on the white background and the mulberry paper gives a lovely effect.

Lynn x

Brenda Brown said...

Wow you certainly know how to shop, eat and craft lol.
Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs Brenda xox

Cheryl said...

oh hun this is brilliant just love the effect on this it really makes it stand out,hugs Cherylxxxxx

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Fab post. CONGRATULATIONS on being a surrogate grandparent again.

xxx

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy.
Nice stash as well. I ment to pick up the magazine you have there as i love those stamps but not seen the magazine in the shops here.
Hugs lilian

Inkyfingers said...

What a great card Kathy and you've reminded me that I have some mulberry paper deep in my stash somewhere and it could do with an airing. Congratulations on the new arrival and the new goodies.

Anna-Karin said...

Fab design - love your card!

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a fun but hectic weekend. Lots going on.

Lovely card - tearing isn't something I'm very good with but will try and give it a go. Sue.x

Lynne said...

Great card Kathy and a great idea to use your die as a template.
Lynne xxx

Victoria said...

Some fabulous tearing - how neat! The star is brilliant! Sorry that the day didn't exaclty go according to plan but it sounds like you had fun anyway!

Berni Cuttino said...

You are set. I wish, I was that organized. Thanks so much for your visit and sweet luv. Hugs.

Lynn said...

Love the textures and colours. Thanks for the comments on my blog. x

Claire said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for visiting my little blog! Your card is great, I love that Paper Artsy stamp you've used. Claire x

Scrapmate said...

Love the torn mulberry circle.

Marlena M. said...

Such a neat card! I love the colors.

Aileen said...

You've put me in the mood to make chilli for tea tonight! Lovely weather up here too and that's the kids first day back to school.

Lovely card Kathy and I love how you've included your tearing element. Very touchy feely! x

Daen'Ys said...

I had to look twice to see the torn paper! You have very well hidden ... ;-)
Beautiful card.

Daen'Ys

Deanna said...

Lovely Card with the mulberry circle. What an adorable baby! Thanks visiting Hugs Deanna

Brigitte said...

Beautiful card and so nice paper!

Brigitte

Karen said...

Beautiful card. Congratulations to the new Mum and Dad.

Karen x

GinaA said...

Your torn circle is great, love the central image and the purple background is perfect.

Chrissie said...

I'm so sorry that I'm late in visiting this week, but I have been on a wonderful cruise to Norway where I didn't have very good Internet coverage!
Thanks so much for your lovely contribution!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Loli. eltallerdelosrecuerdos@gmail.com said...

Hola Kathy, congratulations for your little "grandson" Zac.
Beautiful new stash and gorgeous card, your woman stamp remind me a diva of Hollywwod, great work Kathy and thank you for yours comments last weeks.
A hug from Palma