Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Wot? Wednesday? Again?!?!?!

Hi there,  


It's our wedding anniversary today - many years ... and they've all passed in a blur, where DOES the time go? Anyway, wishing my lovely hubby the happiest of anniversaries.


My regular readers will have been following the wrestling match I've been having with a gloss gel medium technique - image transfer! My first attempt was a disaster in that I spread the gel medium far too thinly and it ripped as I tried to remove the paper backing. My second attempt ... well that was spread a great deal thicker but, after 12 full hours still wasn't dry!!! CRIKEY! Anyway, on Tuesday morning I was heading out to a pal's for coffee and chat so I had no time to do anything with it before I went.


Back in time for lunch and, after eating, I set down to beat seven shades out of this pesky project. I didn't soak it in water for anything like as long and I don't know what was different but, when I'd finished, my project hadn't gone white again (unlike my first attempt). I'm going to share the results with you but please remember that this image transfer was only an experiment and the image used just happened to be lying around on a piece of paper rather than I really WANTED to use this image. Now I see how it works this piece will be heading for the bin.

FRONT of project

REVERSE of project

Will I be trying the technique again? Yes - but probably around the same time as hell freezes over!! Whaddya think? Was it worth all the effort?

There's a new challenge over on the CASology blog where they've some up with the idea to use a single word as your challenge inspiration ..... this week's word? POND!!

 
I've also signed up for an ATC swap on the Auntys forum where the theme is 3D - how hard can that be? So, once I'd had my lunch, done the "thang" with the gel image transfer and been out for a bit of retail therapy it seemed time to set to work ..... there were five people signed up so, I made five and here was my design ....



Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Penny Black image inked in Memento tuxedo black on to white card, pink paper (and I cut out the tutu from the image on the pink paper) and once on to a post it (for a mask)
  • Alcohol markers and a blender pen to colour image
  • I then adhered the white card panel to my cream ATC blank and masked the image
  • Dylusions random dot image inked using Colour Box heliotrope ink
  • I attached a small foam pad fairly centrally (left to right) but near the tutu's "waistline" and glue to the rest of the tutu and then stuck it directly over the base image. I had coloured the tutu on the base image in case areas could be seen.
  • I then edged the ATC with the same heliotrope ink and drew in the whiskers using the Zig wink of Stella glitter pen.

 And there you have it - my ATC's for the swap. HOWEVER, whilst I was busy making these, another person signed up! Now, DO I make another or do without a copy for myself?

Here's the collection, all ready to head off to the swap host in the post this afternoon - does this answer your question?





That was such fun and it's been SUCH an age since I did an ATC swap that I'm really beginning to regret not participating the recent CB swap organised by Louise - sorry Louise!


I see that team GB are continuing to add to their medals total and we're third in the medal stakes - GO TEAM GB!




Happy Wednesday 


8 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love how the ATCs turned out,Kathy.
Happy Anniversary to you both....ours was on Monday.

clare said...

Glad you managed that image transfer! My first attempt went the same way but Donna downey's version seems to work well for me now! Love those ATCS fab! X

Shirley said...

Happy Anniversary and the ATCs are lovely. Definitely wouldn't have your patience with the image transfer !!

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy. The cat is cure, Glad you managed the image transfer.
Hugs lilian

Craftyrose said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sorry I haven't been organised enough to send you a card, but I'm hoping that thoughts count. xxxxxx

Debs M said...

wow what a lot of hassle!! Love your atc's!!!!

GinaA said...

Your gloss gel project is interesting, wouldn't be any good for me I have no patience. I love your ATC's, the set together looks brilliant , lots of movement, bet if you stacked and flipped them she would be dancing.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Yay! You nailed it! I knew you wouldn't let it beat you. Top job and I LOVE the cute ATC's. That image is SO cute.

Happy Anniversary to you both.

Lx