Saturday, 27 October 2012

Woo Hoo it's the weekend!

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be late but I wanted to wait  until I had something to share with you as I am trying to wean myself out of the habit of more than one post in a day!

Is it cold enough for you? In Bristol it went down below freezing overnight and isn't much warmer now (at the warmest part of the day)!

Here we are feeling the effects of Hurricane Sandy with high winds and a little rain - and COOLER temperatures, not that I'm overly sorry it's cooled down a smidge as I've been struggling at times in the last few weeks!

Yesterday we were out to dinner with friends and we went Mexican .... Abuelo's at The Loop. It's very nice in there (though the seats could do with refurbishment) and their combo is just great, you can choose any two enchilada's for $8.99 and three for $12.99 - I've never managed three though! I HAD intended to try the sopapillas this trip though as the idea if a honey filled, cinnamon sprinkled dessert sounded yummy but, when push came to shove I had to concede that I simply had no room left! Oh well, maybe next time!

And over on the Simply Less Is More blog it's sketch week ........


So, I had a go .......



Materials used:
  • 300 gsm white, scallop edged C6 card and matching envelope
  • 4 x 4 cm square mask, positioned and then a border hand drawn within the square
  • Recollections cake image inked using Memento rosebud
  • Recollections present image inked using Memento grape jelly
  • Recollections candles image inked using Memento lilac posies
  • Fiskars sentiment inked using Memento grape jelly

I THINK it probably needs stickles - what do you think?

Hmm - not convinced this was my best effort - so, I had another go .....



Materials used:
  • 300 gsm white, scallop edged C6 card and matching envelope
  • Mask placed on to a white panel of Bristol board and Distress Inks sponged through the mask: top - worn lipstick, centre - barn door, bottom - dusty concord.
  • Border hand drawn round each square using a Faber Castell pitt pen
  • Stampabilities Fleur De Lys and crown and also the Imagine That sentiment inked using Memento tuxedo black
  • Image panel then matted on black card

Hope you agree that the second was better than the first! I'm much happier with the second card though I'm still contemplating the addition of a couple of faux crystal gemstones ...... what do you lot think?

Happy Saturday and, if you are in the path of Hurricane Sandy - stay safe.


15 comments:

My name is Wynneth said...

It's brilliantly sunny, blue skies but very cold here, you'll need to wrap up once you get back ! Don't bring home those nasty germies I picked up either :o(

Two fabulous cards my dear, I love them both. If I was going to add anything to the second one, I'd just add some of that Platinum Stickles that I KNOW you have lurking on the table of craftiness - just sayin' :OD

Stay safe if Sandy comes closer.
luv
wynneth
x

Vicky Hayes said...

I think they're both lovely Kathy and I agree that a gem or two wouldn't go amiss on the second! Vicky x

Suzilou said...

Really like all the stamps you have used and love the hand drawn squares :)

Chrissie said...

Cute stamps Kathy, I love those random frames.
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Lilian said...

two more nice cards Kathy. i think my mo jo has gone walk about lol.
Hugs lilian

clare said...

they are both great cards kathy, i rather like the look of this sketch. x

Debs M said...

wintery wind here, definitely scarf and gloves weather here!!

stickles for the first and gems for the second, fabby cards x

Louise said...

Maybe the 2nd does just pip it, but I actually like the 1st too. Perhaps if the cake in the bottom panel was in purple and only accented in pink? I'm no good at these things, so not the best person to ask.
It was FREEZING here this morning! Hope when you get back to the UK it is not quite as bad, but I think we can say that winter has arrived!
Have a safe journey.

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Kathy, I think the second one has the edge for me with the stamps and mounted panel.
I will get your parcel in the post this week.
Have a safe trip home.
Happy Sunday.
Hugs Brenda xxx

GinaA said...

Your stamping is so clean and those frames are brilliant, I especially like the 'for you' card with the black border - it brings all three images together.

Julia said...

These are great. I like the sketchy frames around the images, nice work!
Julia.

Lizy said...

Two lurverly cards Kathy! I think some gems would just finish that second card perfectly :)
Lizy x

Katiejane said...

I do love a Mexican! Great LIM cards, simple yet effective. Pink and purple looks great together.
Katie x

Skye said...

Two super cards. I like the pink and purple comination but the "for you" has great charm

Linda said...

Great cards Kathy, love the 'For You' version. xx