Sunday, 9 December 2012

CRAFT-y Sunday

Hi there readers,

Yesterday I took delivery of some craft goodies and could hardly wait to get started ....

What goodies were they? Well, I ordered some silver liquid leaf, some onyxite treasure gold and a pot of Brush Bath (for clean up - VERY important!)


I had watched a video (using the above products)  by Leandra at Paper Artsy this past week, having come home from Florida with some gold liquid leaf but been unable to track the clean up solvent in smallish quantities (a 50ml bottle hardly merited a 5 gallon tin of clean up solvent!!!) and couldn't grab my credit card fast enough to order some!! If you want to see the video then check it out here - she does make it look very easy!

Materials used:
  • Manila tags (2)
  • Sizzix embossing folder and my trusty big shot
  • Stamposaurus stencil
  • LOW tack tape
  • Liquitex modelling paste and spatula
  • Liquid leaf in gold and silver
  • Treasure gold in onyxite
  • Brush Bath clean up solvent (available from Paper Artsy)
  • Old paint brush
  • Kitchen roll
  • Craft sheet

Ready? .......

Here was my stamposaurus stencil which I attached to my tag using low tack tape

This was after I'd applied the modelling paste using a spatula - IMMEDIATE clean up of stencil and spatula is necessary if you ever want to use the stencil again!

I set the manila tag aside to dry naturally and set off with my second tag ....


This was how it looked after I'd run it through my Big Shot inside my Sizzix embossing folder

And here's how it looked after I'd "painted" my tag with gold and silver liquid leaf and also brushed onyxite Treasure Gold on it - not sure I'd let the leaf and was dry fully so it's been set aside to dry now and I'll buff it later

Over on the Pan Pastels blog their new challenge (#48) is a "Christmas carol or song". Bearing in mind that you do not HAVE to use pan pastels to enter but you DO get the chance to win some of the little beauties by entering!! Good Luck

SO, it was back to the first tag which was well dry by this morning. Inspired by The Doors song "People are strange" I set to work on a tag for the Pan Pastels challenge ........


Materials used:
  • Manilla tag
  • Liquitex modelling paste
  • Stamposaurus stencil (see above)
  • low tack tape
  • spatula (for applying paste)
  • Treasure gold wax in onyxite applied with a cosmetic wedge
  • Offcut of Kraft card (from a Tim Holtz clock face die) run through a Cuttlebug "text" embossing folder
  • Liquid leaf "gold" applied to the offcut clock face centre, using a dried up baby wipe (we crafters waste NOTHING!)
  • Lost Coast Designs image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink on to white card card and cut out.
  • Alcohol markers to colour face, eyes, and lips and then distress ink ink Victorian Velvet applied to the whole image (to lose the starkness of the white card)
  • Paper Artsy sentiments stamped using Versafine onyx black ink and heat set (I've yet to see if that works on the wax as it's the first time I've tried ..... I may end up wiping it off and re-stamping in stazon but, if it dries then it IS a fully finished project as per the PP blog challenge rules)
Here's a bit of a close up so you can see that the wax buffs to a shine ..... you can also see that the alcohol inks seem to react with the versafine (hopefully not enough to spoil the overall project) and why I SHALL be using Memento next time!!!



Have a happy Sunday - I sure will because that solvent does affect you UNLESS you are in a well ventilated area so please bear that in mind!


7 comments:

clare said...

oooh fabulous kathy, looks brill. have a good sunday. x

Debs M said...

looks great Kathy, i can't even see where the inks have reacted x

Darnell J Knauss said...

These are amazing, Kathy!! A REAL creation when you are finished, my goodness. I feel so proud after I stamp an image on a one layer card and maybe attach a ribbon. I can't even imagine how exhilarated you must feel after creating, well, a creation!!

Alizabethy said...

Stunning piece of work!!

Aileen said...

These all look brill. x

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous techniques, colours and images. Love your new products and tags.
Thanks for sharing at PanPastel UK this week Kathy.
hugs {brenda} xox

My name is Wynneth said...

I must check out the vid when the craziness of christmas preparations is over kathy. Have to say I'm loving the effects you're achieving with the these materials. I've loads of stencils and some modelling paste and gold leaf, so no excuses not to give it try !!
luv
wynneth
x