Friday, 18 January 2013

Friday and here comes the snow!

Hi There

We're due HEAVY snow here all day - and have been warned to expect around 20cm! CRIKEY - hubby headed off to Tesco's yesterday for essential supplies like bread, milk and potatoes - we should be able to survive without going out for a few days, if we need to! It was supposed to be well under way by midnight but I went to bed around 11:40 and there was no sign then! But look what we woke up to!


This is how it looks out through my front windows
And this is how the back garden looks

Reckon we've had several inches - so far but it's still snowing heavily right now and seems set to continue until at least lunch time according to the forecasters. Luckily, neither of us had plans to go out today, certainly now now!


Thursday's see the launch of a new challenge over at Cute Card Thursday and this week the challenge is "DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER". I'm still working on that one!


There's also a colour challenge over at CAS ..... and here's my entry - below my entry I've shown the matching envelope and below that is the colour challenge swatch

My CAS entry

Co-ordinating envelope

Swatch set by the challenge host
Materials used:
  • 15cm square, 300 gsm white scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 14½ cm square white card panel coloured with my "melon mambo" alcohol marker
  • 14 cm square white card panel
  • Funstamps "starstuck clowns" image (which I've had FOREVER but doesn't often get inked!) stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Alcohol markers used to colour, I selected colours as close as possible to the selection above. Additionally, I used a modest amount of grey (to ground) and skin tones + gold for the bells and stars
Yesterday I published a card using my wonderful Sparkle n' Sprinkle Art Deco three ladies (although it's actually called "mon amis umbrella")  ...... some readers had difficulty in recognising the image as ladies faces - that (I suspect) is my fault as I normally colour the images a little more but didn't on this occasion as the challenge was BLUE and  ..... well, you know, I thought I would leave it mostly blue PLUS the ink started to bleed as I started to colour. Memo to self - perhaps a different ink for stamping and a little more colour on the image would have been helpful.

Art Deco "Three ladies" image
And here's how the image appears on the Sparkle 'n Sprinkle on-line web site .... a BEE-ootiful image

Mon Amis Umbrella

As you regulars will know, I publish a Friday Funny each week (surprisingly enough ... on a Friday!!!). I'm sure you appreciate that there is no way I could come up with all these funny's so I rely on friends e-mailing them to me. Each time I use a funny then I add the providers name to my list and, at the end of the year, use the lovely random number generator to pick a winner. For 2012 it was my friend Liz (who I've had the privilege to know since 1980) and on Wednesday morning, I delivered her prize .......

Here is Liz with her Friday Funny draw prize

It's just five weeks (today) till Craftathon 2013 and we're busy making travel plans - here's hoping we're not thwarted by the weather!

And now for this week's Friday Funny, courtesy of Lilian - you're in the 2013 draw matey - ENJOY




Edited at 10:00 to say - this is how it looks now ...




Happy Friday everyone, have a great weekend and, if you have snow and/or ice then do please be careful out there.

16 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Our predicted snow has yet to arrive....so keeping fingers crossed that it will forget us!!!!

Lilian said...

Great card Kathy. Just how I feel today leaning on someome.

I like your colour of the umbrella best.
Hugs
lilian

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Congrats to your winning friend for the Friday Funnies!

WOW - you had lots of snow overnight . . . so far we have NOTHING - but heavy snow predicted for 12noon.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

love the image for the cas card -nice colour combo too! Great idea for the get well cards- i have still got mine up!!

Suzi B said...

Love the umbrella stamp... as well as the stars truck clowns card.. they remind me of Andy Pandy...oops showing my age.
The fri funny realy made me chuckle
keep safe and warm
Suzi B x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Great tip Kathy. Must dig out those Get Well cards as soon as possible. Fab Friday Funny as usual and congrats to Liz on her win. She can't fail to enjoy her prize :oD

Love your "andy pandy" card. The colours are beautiful and the image is so sweet.

Stay safe and warm crafty pal. Lx

sandie said...

Adorable clowns! And I love how you have decorated the envelope. And thanks for the Friday Funny-I think this is a great idea! Thanks for joining us at CAS-Colour and Sketches.

Louise van Vuren said...

Love that you chose clowns for our colour challenge, they look fab! And a matching envelope -great idea! Thanks for joining us at CAS Colours and Sketches

Louise xx

Junibears said...

It looks just like that here from front and back windows kathy and 'they' say more to come!
I love your pretty cards, especially the clown and envelope! xx

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for taking part in this week's challenge at CAS - Colours and Sketches, I love your clowns and you have used our colours perfectly - Jacqueline xx

Brenda Brown said...

Our snow started around 8.00 am and stopped mid afternoon, there is some in the air again now but we have had around 4 inches, the cats definitely won't go out.
Love your cards and stamps and thanks Lillian for the funny, I will have to remember that one.
Have a great weekend.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Darnell J Knauss said...

I came by with the lure of seeing Liz with her clothes off, but no such luck! It's so fun that you do a draw for your Friday funny participles. I'll have to remember to send you a few as they come in to me ...

I love your adorable card, Kathy! It not only nails the color challenge, but it is, to me, a couple of kids in flannel pajamas with fluffy slippers and hats, staying inside where it's warm and cozy on your snowy, snowy day!

I hope it doesn't get to be too deep and a pain. It's not so pretty then, but your pictures sure are now!

Thanks, too, for the close-up on that spectacular stamp!

I LOVE this week's funny. So practical! People are really naturally snoopy and would look at another person's personal cards on the mantle. Well, not me, of course, I wouldn't, but it's still brilliant!!

Katiejane said...

Wow that is a lot of snow! I bet in the UK everything came to a stand still.
I almost lost my fingers this morning walking back from the shop, brrrrr it is freezing. We have a heap of snow and after ice rain yesterday a thick layer of ice too! When is Spring coming?!
Stay safe and warm.
Katie x

Karen M said...

Hi Kathy, what a sweet card and perfect use of the three colours. Beautiful! And I love your specially made envelope. A super finishing touch Kx

My name is Wynneth said...

Love this sweet card kathy, that's a way cute image and looks great with the pale colouring - perfect ! The envelope looks pretty impressive too.

Nice to see Liz enjoying her winnings, I do like to see your FF's each week.

Hard for me to imagine what people saw in the Mon Amis Umbrella image !! But then I DO have this stamp myself.

luv
wynneth
x

Karen (carefree creations) said...

Oooh you can send your snow my way - we are not getting as much as we should be.

I love your card - those star clowns are adorable! Thanks for joining us at CAS Colours & Sketches!