Sunday, 27 January 2013

Sunday - is the sun still shining with you?

Hi there,

Oh boy oh boy - did it rain last evening? We could hear it above the TV! Looking out of the window, the gutters were completely awash as the drains failed to cope and our path up to the patio was awash too - such a lot of rain feel in such a short space of time that I feel sure if we had been at a lower level then we may well have been at risk from flooding! YIKES. I just hope that others in lower lying areas of Bristol didn't get quite so much in quite such a short time.

Talk about doing a technique to death .... I found a technique that was brilliantly simple and simply brilliant and had one of those "lightbulb" moments - can't seem to stop doing it now .... bit like when I discovered Clean And Simple in the first place! Where did I find this technique? In the November issue of Craft Stamper, an article by Kate Crane - thanks Kate! Ah well ..... so, here's another take on this technique from me. It will be a second entry to the sketch challenge over on Simply Less Is More and also for the "masculine" challenge on the allsorts blog where the challenge is hosted by a craftbubble buddy of mine, Catherine. I used the same technique on my first entry but used much brighter colours and have also successfully deployed it for a feminine card - I just wanted to see if I could make this in to a more masculine card - I THINK it works though (next time) I might try more browns than reds ........ what do you think? Does it work as a "guy" card?



Here's a close up of the image panel

Materials used:
  • 300 gsm white, deckle edged C6 card and matching sized envelope
  • Post Its to mask off my panel for colouring
  • Distress Inks: rusty hinge, barn door and aged mahogany - applied with a cosmetic sponge.
  • Water flicked from fingers, allowed to develop and then moisture mopped up with kitchen roll and set aside to dry COMPLETELY
  • 7 Gypsies ledger image inked using aged mahogany and then perfect pearls (kiwi) brushed over, to give the sheen
  • Inkadinkado sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink

Oh boy, I LOVE this technique! I'm soo not done with it yet but will try something else for my next project!! I just love the water spritzing and the perfect pearls - those babies spend far too much time on the shelf for something so yummy. Perhaps I should break out my twinkling H2O's - as they spend far too much time in the drawer too. I remember when I bought those, on a trip to Georgia to a fabulous (but now closed) store just inside the state boundary - I knew this place was a gem when there was a bubble machine outside!!! Inside there was more glitter than you could shake a stick at and I'm not even going to mention the Egyptian themed rest rooms - oops, guess I just did though. I was so sad when the doors closed as I never got the return visit. It used to be called Old Town Crafts and was in St Marys ...... now I BELIEVE that the company changed hands and appears now to be in Fort Myers - I sort of feel a road trip coming on during our next trip Stateside! - sorry hubby!

Today sees another challenge launched over on the Pan Pastels challenge blog (see it here) - entries usually pour in from all sorts of mixed media artists so why not check it out. You don't HAVE to use pan pastels to enter but entry does give you the chance to win some of those fabulous little pans of gorgeousness! This week's challenge is "SEEING STARS"!!!


Have a great Sunday

15 comments:

catherine said...

Great work Kathy and thanks for joining in with my challenge over at Allsorts this week
x catherine

scrappyjacky said...

Love the card,Kathy....another great technique.

Cheryl said...

oh just love this hun,super super card,and love doing that technique,works beautifully hunny hugs Cherylxx

Gay Peplow said...

It's brill Kathy, I love the colours and shimmer and think it makes a great card for a chap! We will get your rain later today I fear, glad you weren't flooded, I feel for the poor souls who are :{
Gay xx

wienerhoneymooners said...

Amazing! I love the bottom right that is peeking through. Such a wonderful design, technique and subject matter!

Thanks for popping over at my blog too!

Susan said...

I love that distress ink technique too...and use it frequently. LOVE that image with the watch...how perfect for a birthday card!

Lilian said...

great card Kathy. I have to get some distress inks.
Hugs
lilian

Katiejane said...

That is gorgeous Kathy and green would look great too. Your card has a lovely finish and if something works, why change it?
It's been raining here today too and the snow is dissapearing fast! I am so pleased. It's much warmer too, bonus!
Hope you don't suffer with any flooding.
Katie x

Aileen said...

Love your inky panel with the stamped image over it. x

Junibears said...

Dear kathy, Thank you so much for your visit! I love your less is more technique. Your cards all turned out brilliantly! Hugs xx

Lacelady said...

The design works for a man, but a more brown would be better, I think. On my monitor, your red looks more pink. Love the sentiment stamp though.

Jen said...

kathy this is a great card.. love the sentiment

Thanks for Joining us this week
Jen xx
"Less Is More"

Chrissie said...

I love the ink effect on this one Kathy!
Thanks again.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Linda said...

This is amazing Kathy, the inky background is great. The colours are fab and I love the stamped image. xx

Daen'Ys said...

Thank you very much Kathyk for the nice comment about my card at LIM.

Love the shimmer on your inky panel and the stamps are great!!!

Have a nice day...
Rosi x