Saturday, 15 June 2013

Saturday and it's challenge day for me ...

Morning fellow bloggers and readers,

Good news - if you visited my blog yesterday you will have seen that I (rather unusually) had made both the starter and dessert for our dinner last evening. So, what IS the good news? Our dinner guests both enjoyed the soup and Brown Bread Beano and didn't appear to suffer any ill effects! - always good! Curious about the Brown Bread Beano? Well I posted the recipe on yesterdays post too, if you missed it you can see it here. Liz is doing really well following her operation and is a dab hand at scooting round on her crutches, we headed out for her daily constitutional before dinner and did a 40 minute walk - no mean feat on two crutches, I KNOW as I was in her position just less than two years ago.
 
My mojo has been rather conspicuous in its absence this week and a fellow blogger decided to "chivvy" me in to crafting in the hope of kick starting my mojo. I had left a comment on her blog about a card featuring a pinwheel which she had, rather cunningly, pre flattened to avoid the Royal Mail doing a bang up job of ruining all her hard work. Impressed, I left a comment and it was at this point she challenged me ... so A) thank you Sarn and B) here's my own (and rather PURPLE) take on her challenge!!!
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 6cm square of Recollections purple chevron card, made in to my pinwheel but flattened!
  • White card punched with a small retro flower, coloured with violet pan pastel and then stamped using a Hero Arts circle design and Memento grape jelly ink
  • Purple faux gemstone attached to the centre
  • Offcut of chevron card adhered to lilac card which was edged using a Martha Stewart punch and the strip cut off was used to form the "stick" for the pinwheel (recycling at its best)
  • Narrow white grosgrain ribbon adhered across the large chevron panel at the apex
  • Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Memento London fog ink
 
And the insert looks like this:
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 14cm square of the Recollections purple chevron card
  • 13cm square white card panel
  • 3cm square offcut of the chevron card made in to a mini pinwheel
  • Black card punched using a mini retro flower punch and then covered using icicles stickles
  • A Stamp in the hand grasses image stamped using Memento bamboo ink
  • Copic Atyou spica glitter pen (black) used to draw in the "stick"
  • Little Yellow Bicycle "Birthday" sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink and the Happy from the Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped in Memento London fog ink
As soon as the stickles are dry I will put the two together and call this card done!!
 
Hopefully, Sarn's challenge will have set my mojo running as there are a number of challenges launched today which I normally like to enter - you might want to stop back later, in case there's a second post from me!!

Simply Less Is More have launched their new challenge which, this week, is HEXAGONS! Hmm, I tried sponging Distress Inks through a hexagon mask - DISAAASTER darling (said in a Craig Revill Horwood kind of way!) so it was on to plan B and a bit Blue Peter at that! See what you all think ...



Materials used:
  • 12cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Black card for matting
  • Off cut of white card ....
  • Distress Ink in tumbled glass and faded jeans plonked on to a craft sheet and then spritzed.
  • I "smooshed" the white card through it and then heat dried ..... and repeated till I was happy.
  • Creative Expressions hexagon wire image stamped using Memento Paris Dusk
  • Hero Arts flower stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Tsukineko shimmer goosebumpz spritzed over to both seal and give texture and shimmer


And here's how it kind of grew .... the Distress Inks smooshed panel and my hexagons ...

The Blue Peter bit? Well that was measuring and cutting the two hexagons!
 
 
Happy Saturday

13 comments:

Suzi B said...

So clever and pretty too
Suzi B xx

Chrissie said...

These are great Kathy, I simply LOVE the LIM one... SO clever!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More

Lilian said...

Kathy. They are great. I love the windmill.
Hugs
lilian

catherine said...

Great pieces Kathy and the mojo is coming back I see. So glad you all enjoyed your evening last night
x catherine

Jenni's Jems said...

Love these but the LiM one caught my eye in the thumbnails and didn;t disappoint love it! x

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

I'd say you rocked BOTH challenges Kathy!

The pinwheel card is FAB and I just LOVE what you did for the inside of it too. Such a dinky little pinwheel in the grass! GREAT IDEA!

Your LIM hexagon card is lovely too. Just right.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Cathy said...

Great cards, love the LIM one the colour is gorgeous Cathy x

GinaA said...

Hi Kathy, your hexagons are better than mine, I had the same challenge in getting the shape. Love your colours and stamping.

Debs M said...

2 great makes Kathy - great idea to flatten the pin wheel x

Lesley Thomas said...

Ooh, three for the price of one! Your Mojo seems to be back. Love the flattened windmills - why not?

Angelnorth said...

I think the LIM one turned out great, the flower looks very dramatic against that background!

Jen said...

great cards

Thanks for joining us this week
Jen x
"Less Is More"

My name is Wynneth said...

Loving both your creations Dahlink ! Guess Mr Mojo has come home to where he belongs again then LOL

The LIM one is most dramatic and very, very nice. Well done on battling the 'windmills' and coming up trumps !

See ya real soon Matey.
luv
wynneth
x