Monday, 8 July 2013

Monday anticlimax!

Morning peeps

ABSOLUTELY brilliant weekend crafting like crazy, with my crafting pal, Wynneth - check out the pix below - especially the messy fingers, you should have seen Wynneth's fingers too! This post's a bit photo heavy so pull up a chair and grab a coffee and, once you're sitting comfortably - then you may begin!
 
And I found a fab technique video which set us both off! - brilliantly simple and simply brilliant - alcohol inks and a straw - check it out here ............ so, we just had to try it! We DID have to head to Hobbycraft  for straws and gloss card and DO NOT GET ME STARTED on their pricing practice .... we WOULD have bought storage but didn't, on principle!

A fab technique - we tried it with canned compressed air

But using a good old fashioned straw was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun!!!!

Wanna see more? Check out the video below as Wynneth huffs and puffs and blows the ink down!!!

video


 
Amazing what you can do with alcohol (inks) and a straw!!!!


Wynneth's lush mirror background with matte medium, iridescent medium and various acrylics

My husband took this photo of two happy crafters on Friday evening, with just our background.
The real work started Saturday morning .....

Here's mine, nearly finished!

Close up of the frantage cogs - had the materials for AGES but this was the first time I got to use it!
 
Wynneth's finished project ....... or is it? It was never intended as nautical but how cool is this?

Then we moved on to jewellery .... mine

Wynneth's magnificent piece

And then art journals - mine!

We just couldn't keep the ink and paint from our fingers!!!! I SWEAR the bottle had a leak - honest!

We scrubbed up well enough for my hubby to be seen out with us!
Note:- we're wearing our new pieces of jewellery!

We did wonder whether we were mad, going for a curry in this weather ...
but it was SUPER yummy - thanks Raj!

We even tempted Wynneth to a beer in the garden afterwards! I try to be a good "hosta" - gardeners funny!

And THEN, we both headed to Newbury on Sunday morning, accompanied by another pal, Cherry, where we met up with Debs and Lauren at the Newbury Art Stamps show. The venue was Newbury race course but it was SOOOOOOO HOT!, we had to keep stopping for drinks (water and/or tea, I assure you!)


Serial shoppers, taking a break - stash envy ensued!
A girl can never have too much stash .... can she?
A meagre haul compared to some of my serial shopping compadres but I'm happy with what I bought

We were talking to the gentleman on the Visible Image stand and he showed us a technique with the inside of a bic biro .... you  may see this on a blog some place soon!

Thanks so much to Wynneth for making the trip and for crafting with me, totally committed to getting inky!!! Thanks also to Cherry, Debs and Lauren for making the journey too and for making an otherwise stifling day in to a very enjoyable one - look forward to doing it all again soon, peeps.

Now that my mirror's finished, I plan to enter it for the pan pastels "RED" challenge



Materials used:
  • IKEA mirror blank, covered liberally with gesso.
  • Red acrylic paint, along with a dash of yellow.
  • Iridescent medium mixed with Paper Artsy Fresco Pansy paint and applied using paper towel, to get the striped "shabby chic" look to the background
  • The suitcase and cogs image (by Stampers Anonymous) were stamped using flitter glue (Indigoblu) and then gilding flakes applied
  • I stamped the Gentleman (Stampers Anonymous), the Close to my Heart sentiment and the Inkadinkado cog corner and strip of cogs (bottom left) using Ranger archival jet black using heat to set
  • Stampers Anonymous numbers stamped using Brilliance beige and Paper Artsy cogs using Ranger snow cap pigment ink - again set using heat
  • Doesn't show up much but I stamped some more of the Stampers Anonymous cogs and some dots using Memento rich cocoa and heat set too
  • Using some metal cogs (attached with glossy accents) I filled in randomly with flitter glue before pouring frantage aged gold embossing powder and copper inclusions and heat set. Naturally, I couldn't heat from underneath so this turned quite messy!!!!, but worthwhile IMHO!
  • Using the post its to protect my mirror I painted treasure gold in onyxite up the wooden sides around the mirror

Thanks, too, for your perseverance with this photo heavy post and I hope you all had a great weekend and that your Monday is going well - I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to playing with my new stash!


13 comments:

Lesley Thomas said...

Lovely to see all the pics Kathy, you look so happy to be crafting away, and I love the inky backgrounds, they are fabulous.

The only thing I would have done differently was have Chinese, not Indian! Love the goodies too. Must dig out some of my masks!

Debs M said...

It was a fabulous day! Looking forward to getting my hands on my stash too! x

Suzi B said...

Wow Kathy! lovely photos from what was obviously a fabulous week end
Suzi B x

Di said...

Hi Kathy

What a shame I didn't know you'd be at Newbury yesterday :( You're right, it sure was hot, especially upstairs in the eating area. Not that it seemed to stop you on a lovely shopping spree :)

I think I preferred it to Ally Pally, much more room to swing a cat - OK, less stands but enough for me to have spent waaaaaay too much :)

Remember, if you use snippets then we'd love to see you in the Playground - just make sure you bring sweeties to share!

Hugs, Di xx

Lilian said...

great pictures Kathy. You sure did have a great time. Love the new stash as well.

The mirror is great. I will make it to Newbury one day,
Hugs
lilian

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Looks and sounds like you all had a ball over the weekend.

LOVING the look of your art journal pages (and the jewellery and mirror) but as I am about to embark on an AJ, I find your pages the most fascinating. Any tips for a complete novice????

Hugs
Sarn xxx

scrappyjacky said...

Looks like you had great fun...and some nice little goodies bought as well.

Mrs A. said...

Me and Di saw the bic biro technique too . Just gotta have a go at doing that. We probably walked past one another at the show!! Hugs Mrs a.

My name is Wynneth said...

We really did have a ball over the weekend didn't we Matey ? I thoroughly enjoyed myself and my fingers are back to their natural skin colour again at last !

Can't wait to do it again in the future ;OD

luv
wynneth
x

Darnell J Knauss said...

Lucky for me, Kathy, I scrolled downwards to see all the fun posts I've missed before today's WOYWW and I just had to stop here and comment! Why, oh, why couldn't I live close enough to be involved in the shenanigans with you two crazy chicks? It's not fair! Thank you for sharing, this was a hoot and dammit, I AM doing that strawblow technique! Where are my Post-It notes to write that down ...

Katie Berberich said...

Just fabulous, those photos hold a thousand words. I particularly love the one of Wynneth with her beer! The curry looked delicious and your straw/inky art looks awesome.
So nice to see Cherry and Lauren in the pic too.
Katie

SanDee1899 said...

it looks like you had a lot of fun :-) and such amazing Project wow!
xoxo SanDee1899

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Really gorgeous mirror, love the deep colour and the images, it certainly sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love ink blowing but haven't done any for a while, I really must again soon, thank you for joining in with the PanPastel challenge blog
Lindsay xx