Sunday, 14 July 2013

Stay cool this Sweltering Sunday!

Hi there,

Birthday party last night, it was a combined 40th and 60th! What a night! Boy, was it hot, HOT, HOT!!! Within minutes of my arrival it was obvious I wasn't going to cope indoors ..... THANK HEAVENS there were places to sit outside otherwise it would have been unbearable. Before too long pretty much everyone at the party had joined me outside! At the end of the evening I think I "flowed" back to the car, certainly felt like I'd melted! Happy Birthday to Alan (tomorrow) and to Nick (a little later in the year). I can't tell you which one was 60 and which 40 because then I would have to kill you (lol!). It was a lovely party and so nice to catch up with so many people too.

The birthday peeps!

Now here's an interesting technique ..... masking tape and distress inks! Tried it yet? Seen it yet? If the answer to either is no then hop on over to Splitcoaststampers and check out their tutorial. I should point out that I followed the link from Laurie's blog here.

Well, I couldn't wait to try it so I nicked hubby's roll of masking tape and off I went - how HANDY that Wynneth and I snagged some glossy cardstock at Hobbycraft last weekend (for the alcohol ink/straw technique). I think my technique and colour choice needs a little work but here's the first attempt...... being me, I chose the brightest colours and I pressed pretty firmly on the ink pad with the tape. On reflection, I fear this was a mistake - see if you agree.




Materials used:
  • Glossy card stock, offcut
  • Masking tape, torn in to strips
  • Distress Inks: ripe persimmon, squeezed lemonade and picked raspberry
  • Hero Arts wheat ears image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink

Then I thought I would try paler colours and see how that worked out ....



Materials used:
  • Glossy white card stock
  • Black card stock for matting
  • Masking tape
  • Distress Inks: tea dye,  milled lavender, tumbled glass
  • Lavinia image and Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink

I think that looks better, don't you? Not so busy! Maybe next time I'd place either the blue or the lavender at the top - what do you think?

Third time's the charm ....



Materials used:
  • Glossy white card stock
  • Black card stock for matting
  • Masking tape
  • Distress Inks: spun sugar, tumbled glass, milled lavender
  • Lavinia image (from the same set as number two) and Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink

I think is quite pretty and I can see this finding its way on to a card some time real soon.

Have a great Sunday - stay cool!


10 comments:

cheryl Baker said...

morning sugar plum,these are great love the techniques you have used,brilliant,looks like you had a great day. Bless your heart for your kind words on my blog and for sticking by me I really do appreciate it love massive hugs Cherylxxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Good morning Kathy - I hate to grumble after the looooong winter we had, but it is a tad warm for me. I prefer the paler versions of your cards, but I bet you will have comments from some who prefer the brighter one. It's a good job we aren't all the same, isn't it?

scrappyjacky said...

You definately get an interesting effect there.

clare said...

glad you had a good evening! great makes, have to say I can't make my mind up about the background. but think the softer colours look great. x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Glad to hear that you had a great evening Kathy!

The cards are very inspiring, must have a go with the technique too. I like the vibrant coloured one, perfect this cloudy day.

Love
Maarit

Vicki Dutcher said...

I love that first card! The bright colors with the black - YEP, fabulous job!

Julia said...

Ah ha! I tried that masking tape and distress ink technique but didn't get as far as actually making something with my background. Your projects are lovely.

catherine said...

looks like a great technique to try out Kathy.
Great that you have a fab time at the party last night and enjoyed yourselves.
x catherine

Lilian said...

Like the affect Kathy. A muct try i feel. Great cards. Love the bright one. Hugs
lilian

Debs M said...

ooh great effect - glad you had a good time at the party, despite the melting! x