Friday, 26 July 2013

Welcome to the weekend ..... AND the Friday Funny

Hi folks,

Up at the crack this morning as we're expecting a delivery and also it's the annual service of the boiler - hope he doesn't want to test it for too long today - still hot and sticky here! We're advised our delivery could turn up between the hours of 07:00 and 19:00 - couldn't get MUCH broader than that now, could they?!?!?!? Still, I COULD use the time (since I'm up anyway) and catch up on my ironing before it gets too hot or I COULD clear up in the dining room as we have guests coming to dinner over the weekend - or (because it's already warm) I could sit out on the patio, with a coffee and a book! We have a winner, bet you'll never guess my preference!

Oopsie, this appears to be another slightly picture heavy post but I hope you will bear with me, especially since the Friday Funny may be found at the bottom!
 
Clare's been at it again, making a marvellously creative pointer video for the summer holiday challenge entitled "It's the little things". Designed to take us crafters through the school holidays with something titchy and creative each week ... last week saw us all making a little mini book using letter cards and this week a dinky little cotton reel - woo hoo. She took the trouble to document her creative thought processes with her own mini cotton reel in the hope it would spark us all in a creative but maybe different way ... doncha just LOVE to see how people can start off with the same materials and yet end up with something so different?? I should point out that we all have the same kit of goodies (which Clare kindly assembled for us) so she knows we all have the cotton reels - as she knew we had last weeks cards too). We also all went on-line and purchased little boxes to put our projects in though the jury is still out on whether we'll be posting them as a swap or keeping them all to ourselves mwah mwah mwah (cue maniacal laughter!!!!)


My little box of delights ..... so far!
 
So, having watched the video ..... and paused part way through in order to gesso my cotton reel ..... twice! I set to work with white acrylic paint (from a cheap set of tubes which I bought when I thought I'd give art journaling a go ...... now that was an age ago but I STILL enjoy getting covered in paint and ink!. I gave my little reel another coat and set aside to dry over lunch .... then it was dry brushing  a layer of Paper Artsy Fresco paint in orchid (a nice pink) and setting aside to dry, over a cuppa. It's not taking long to dry this weather you know! I rummaged through my stamp drawers looking for some smallish text and came up with a Papermania Urban stamp set, which I stamped using Ranger Archival jet black - check it out so far ....
 
The top of my reel and the Papermania stamp I used


And the side of my reel - dry brushed
Next I cut a 1.5cm strip of canvas, now I KNOW Clare used canvas and said we could use any old thing we wanted but - well, how often do you break out your canvas either? I KNOW I don't use mine often at all so it seemed too good an opportunity to miss and, besides, it's such a great texture. I slathered gesso on it and headed off for another cuppa!

My gesso'd and daubed and stamped canvas strip!

And the stamp set I used

And here's how it looks before I attach my canvas strip!
 

Finished project! with my fibres and the charms and ribbon fastening
 
 
Materials used:
  • Mini cotton reel
  • Gesso
  • Acrylic paint in white and Fresco orchid
  • Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • 1.5cm strip of white canvas, gesso'd on both sides
  • Papermania urban word stamp
  • TPC Studio cling rubber Vintage Threads images
  • Tim Holtz mini harlequin image
  • 7Gypsies ticket image (cling rubber)
  • Distress Stains in Tumbled Glass, Victorian Velvet and Marigold
  • Penny Black scribble dress image stamped on to clear shrink plastic using Ranger Archival jet black and shrunk using a heat gun
  • Alcohol markers to colour image
  • Tim Holtz Note clip
  • Bead glued in to mini reel and then my note clip glued in to that
  • Padlock and key charms
  • Narrow satin ribbon in three colours + black fibres

Hope you enjoyed my own personal creative journey with this challenge and special thanks to Clare for taking the time to A) organise us, B) assemble the kit which enabled us all to have a go and C) for making these weekly inspirational vids - greatly enjoying them.


And now for the Friday Funny, brought to you this week by ... Marsha in the U.S. - thanks Marsha! ENJOY



Stopped By Police At 2:00 AM
 
 
An elderly man was stopped by the police around 2 AM and was asked where he was going at that time of night.
 




The man replied, "I'm on my way to a lecture about alcohol abuse and the effects it has on the human body, as well as smoking and staying out late."

The officer then asked, "Really? Who's giving that lecture at this time of night?" 

 

 
 
 
 
(wait for it)
 

 
 
(no seriously, wait for it)




(it'll be here in a moment .........)

 
 





The man replied, "That would be my wife."




Have a great Friday


4 comments:

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

What a lovely little altered art project you made.

FF is hilarious - must remember that excuse by change it to the Husband! xxxx

scrappyjacky said...

Your altered project is gorgeous....just love it.
The joke definately brought a smile!!

Lauren Hatwell said...

I LOVE your project Kathy. It really is fabulous!

Fantastic Friday Funny too. I really needed a laugh today. Top job!!! ;oD

Have a good weekend

Debs M said...

love your cotton reel - great colours and stamps!

fab ff too x