Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning peeps,
 
Raining when I woke up this morning, cool too - hooray!! HOWEVER, it's already warmed up considerably and I am "glowing up a storm"!! I know - Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information!!
 
I watched a splendid video by Mr Holtz yesterday on the use of stencils in layering - great idea for interesting One Layer Cards but soooooooooo not Clean And Simple. Of course, I went to look for it again this morning, to post a link and .... guess what? I can't blooming well find it! Anyhoo, Mr Holtz should get all the credit if you like my take on it and none of the blame if you don't!!!!
 
Take one piece of paper and some acrylic paint - Sir Timmy of Holtz used distress paint but I only have the acrylic dabbers so ...... let's see how they compare, shall we?

Paint applied through two stencils, using a Tim Holtz blending tool and foam pad

Peach Bellini and Pearl, the colours don't really matter as I planned to cover them up anyway!

Next I sprayed the Dylusions ink through this Dylusions stencil and mopped with paper towel

Lemon zest and vibrant turquoise
And then I set to work with my distress inks and blending tool

Once I started to apply distress inks and stamps you can see the base stencils come through like a resist

And my finished masculine card
 
Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • White card offcut
  • Kraft and black card, for matting and layering
  • Acrylic paint dabbers and a Tim Holtz blending tool, fitted with foam pad - colours: peach bellini and pearl
  • A variety of stencils from TCW and Dylusions
  • Dylusions inks: vibrant turquoise and lemon zest
  • Distress Inks: tea dye, aged mahogany, black soot
  • Stampers Anonymous background stamps inked using tea dye and aged mahogany
  • Stampers Anonymous "Time Traveller" image as my focal point, stamped using Versafine onyx black ink.

I plan on entering this in a "new challenge on the block"! - it's called THE MALE ROOM and all it's challenges will encourage us to make those tricky guy cards - this one, being challenge one is "Anything goes" - I think this fits, don't you?
 
  
And now for my work desk, not as bad as some weeks but could still use a darn good tidy!
 
 
 
Happy Wednesday


8 comments:

clare said...

Ooh like that pearl paint dabber kathy! Fab background and great make. X

Aquarius said...

Great card for the new male challenge - just love that stamp which has to be on my wish list. Good background technique to try too - thanks

scrappyjacky said...

Love the effects you've got here,Kathy....great for making one layer cards really interesting.

Annie said...

Fabulous KathyK. You are so adventurous..........and very inspiring too.

Love and hugs

Annie xxx

Deborah Frings said...

Kathy - this is absolutely fantastic! I love the colours, the depth you've achieved with the layers and that image is super! Great card!

Darnell J Knauss said...

That was an amazing step-by-step, Kathy! Sir Tim of Holtz would be proud of you and your stunning result!! Thank you for coming by the Playhouse! Have a wonderful week and I hope it cools off (although you are prolly fetching with your glow on!)! Darnell #118

Bev said...

What a lot of fab techniques you've used, with a great result. Just right for The Male Room, thanks for entering

Bev :)

Jacqueline said...

Love the techniques you have used for this - thanks too for joining in the first challenge in The Male Room - Jacqueline xx