Thursday, 8 August 2013

Thursday and Mr Mojo's back!!!!

Morning readers,
 
After a really dodgy week, craft wise, I found inspiration with Clare's "It's The Little Things" summer vacation challenge. Clare had the simply brilliant idea of preparing a little kit for each of us, to ensure we all had most of the basic materials. She then went to the trouble of recording and editing videos for each week's project. At the end of the school holidays we should all have five or six "little" projects, designed to fit inside our papier mache boxes which we are then intending to swap with another participant. I cannot tell you I shall be swapping with because then I would have to kill you!! AND it would, of course, spoil the surprise! I had thought my post would be for Friday but I was inspired in time to post for Thursday - THANKS CLARE, my mojo must simply have been hiding behind the couch!
 
This week's project? A mini slide fridge magnet ....
 
 
 
Materials used, from Clare's kit:
  • Mini slide glass
  • Small glass bottle
  • Wooden flower button
  • Mini beads
  • Magnet
 
Additional materials used:
  • Acrylic paints
  • Mica paint
  • Silver embossing powder
  • Versamark ink
  • Heat tool
  • Various stamps
  • Pokey tool
  • Florists wire
  • Glossy Accents
  • Retro and fancy floral punches
 
Method:
  • Fresco paints in Pansy and Orchid
  • Acrylic tube paints in green and yellow
  • Dylusions image stamped using the Pansy paint - on the reverse of the slide
  • Hero Arts Circles stamped using the Orchid paint - on the reverse of the slide
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped using the yellow and green acrylic paint - to the front of the slide
  • I used the same paints to paint a scrap of paper from which I then punched two retro flowers and a fancy flower. These flowers were then stamped using the Hero Arts sentiment image and the yellow/green paint
  • Mica paint was used to paint the wooden button
  • Florist wire was threaded through the button and the flower, twisted and then threaded through a hole (made using my trusty pokey tool) in the cork "bung".
  • Mini beads filled the glass bottle so the wire wouldn't show.
  • Florist wire was wound round the bottle neck and then twisted round my pokey tool to finish
  • The flower and bottle were then glued to the slide using glossy accents ..... a mistake in hindsight as I had forgotten to "neaten" the edges of the glass slide with embossing powder - DOH!!
  • Versamark ink dabbed round the outer edge of the slide before dipping in to silver embossing powder and heat embossing
  • Finally, the magnet from the kit was attached (cunningly concealed behind the flower) to the reverse of my slide using glossy accents
 
Here's a close up of the details ....

You can see the acrylic paint stamping better here ....... I hope!
And a side view - so you see the dimension

And the images used:
 
 
 
 
Hope you like it - hope my swapee will too

Anyhoo, having my mojo AWOL all week DID at least give me the chance to tidy up the table of craftiness - you would all be so proud of me - my desk is usually SUCH a tip but this is how it looked yesterday morning ....

Blimey - is that REALLY my desk?!?!?!?
 
 
It's the Bristol Balloon Fiesta this coming weekend so I'm HOPING the wind will be in the right direction for me to catch some photos. Not familiar with the Balloon Fiesta? See it here, it starts this evening with the "night glow" and there will be mass ascents tomorrow and Saturday, morning and evening - weather permitting....... I've never been but we're USUALLY on the mass ascent flightpath and have (some years) caught literally dozens of balloons passing over our home.

The arrival of some stupendous blog candy from Sharon and new stash should also ensure the return of my mojo ....



Have a great Thursday catch you all tomorrow for the Friday Funny
 

9 comments:

Lesley Thomas said...

Ooh, Kathy, glad you retrieved Mr Mojo from behind the sofa! This is pretty, so I suspect the 'set' will be absolutely gorgeous.

scrappyjacky said...

Gorgeous fridge magnet.

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Right . . . that's IT . . . I'm moving to Bristol . . . fabulous Gromit statues and a hot air balloon festival . . . what's not to like?

Gorgeous little project here Kathy and sure to be appreciated by the recipient.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

catherine said...

Your mini slide looks fabulous Kathy and love the colours.
fabulous stash too and I am sure the mojo is just going to love it all. probably won't know what to start doing first now!!!
x catherine

Sue said...

Gorgeous project, Kathy! This looks amazing, such fun. Sue x

Cherry said...

Kathy, that is a magnificent creation. Loving the colours and images you have used. The silver embossing looks fab. Loving your flower and bead filled bottle.

Gorgeous stash.

Happy Anniversary too. Enjoy your evening and fizz.

Hugs Cherryxxxx

My name is Wynneth said...

Awesome wee work of art there miss kathy ! I'm so sorry I missed this mini challenge from clare. Hope you and mr k had a fabby celebratory day today and I just KNOW you will have had a great meal at Raj's.

Luv
Wynneth
X

Darnell J Knauss said...

I nearly fell off my chair looking at the desk you are claiming is yours, Kathy! I think folks will think you and I switched this week! I'm sorry to hear you had a spell with Mr. Nojo, but not for long! Your Mr. Mojo is back in full force with that incredible fridge magnet!

And, unless I messed it up, I have written on my calendar that today is your wedding anniversary!? Happy Anniversary and many, many more!! I hope the winds cooperate and you have a blast at the balloon fiesta!! xxoo Darnell

Debs M said...

sorry Kathy - missed this (and your wedding anniversary) - loving your project and the colours! Fab stash - see you succumbed to the splats and i'm so jealous that you got the goth girl! x