Friday, 6 September 2013

It's Friday and that can only mean TWO things! ......

1) The weekend starts here and 2) it's time for the Friday Funny
 
But first ..... we had a bit of a disaster at the purple palace yesterday - the husband went off to the flying field for the afternoon and I managed some crafting, see below. When he came in I went to fill the kettle to make the poor chap a cuppa ..... NO WATER! Said husband said "oh yes, they're working on a water leak in Hambrook (about a mile away) - I guess it's a bigger job than they thought then!"

My regular readers will know that I participate in an ATC materials swap with a buddy on the Isle of Skye and I took delivery of her latest materials yesterday. I promised, on yesterdays blog post, to share my finished ATC with you
 

 
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • White card approximately ATC sized and stamped with the fabulous water droplet image (designed by Ryn) from Art Journey stamped using Memento grape jelly - I happened to have this lying around just crying out to be used!
  • Distress Inks: faded jeans, salty ocean and tumbled glass pressed on to a craft mat and then spritzed with water before smooshing my image panel through it, drying, and repeating till I liked the colour!
  • Image coloured using alcohol markers before fussy cutting out real close. Unfortunately, I had no way of knowing (before I started colouring) how the ink and paper would react with the markers and there was a little "bleeding" hence the fussy cutting!)
  • I attached my image to the ATC off centre, leaving space for my Penny Black sentiment to be stamped using Versafine onyx black
  • Using my Crop-a-dile I punched a 3/8" hole centrally at the top and threaded the grosgrain ribbon through.
  • I blended D.I. Faded jeans around the edge of the ATC and particularly across the bottom so that the legs of my image looked a bit more like they were in the water and splashing around!
  • Finally, I sealed the ATC using sparkle mod podge

And a close up which shows (hopefully) the twinkle



Hope you like it - forgotten what arrived? Here's the incoming materials ..

 
 
So, now it falls to me to make an ATC and to send duplicate materials to Pam, which she will make up. It's always so interesting to see how differently these ATC's turn out. What am I sending her?

Black card, pink polka dot paper, Stamped image and sentiment
Wanna see what I turned my materials in to? Bearing in mind I have the actual stamps so I can stamp them as and where I want.

The finished ATC and now a challenge entry too!
And here's how I achieved it:

Went a bit shabby chic with the background using polka dot paper and a spotty background stamp

Coloured in muted tones to go with the shabby chic look
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Black card off cut which I then cut to ATC size
  • Pink polka dot paper (a magazine freebie)
  • I stamped the Stampers Anonymous spots on to the polka dot papers using Memento angel pink
  • I stamped the Kaisercraft Grunge image on to the dotty background using Memento London fog
  • I then blended Distress Ink Victorian velvet around the edge of the dotty panel using a Tim Holtz blending tool
  • Having first stamped the Holly Hobbie image using Memento rich cocoa on to white card I then coloured it using alcohol inks, cut it out and then sponged the Victorian velvet without re-inking the blending tool
  • I then finished off the ATC by stamping the Kaisercraft sentiment directly on to the dotty background using Memento rich cocoa

Materials used

I will also be entering this in to the challenge over at the Pan Pastels blog as their challenge this week is: SPOTS AND DOTS.

Don't forget that you still have time to enter the current challenge over at Hobbycutz - the current theme is RECYCLING. Don't panic - this could be anything that's been used before, from a bottle top to a chocolate box ribbon or you can be more adventurous and use a cereal/washing powder/chocolate box and turn it in to something more beautiful. It's also worth pointing out that you DO NOT HAVE TO USE A HOBBYCUTZ die in order to enter though there are extra prizes available to those who do. GOOD LUCK. It's my last challenge as a member of their design team and once the winner has been announced for their current challenge that will be my duties discharged - thanks Kobie, it's been fun.


And now for the Friday Funny, this week courtesy of my friend, Sandra - thanks matey - what did we do before we had computers?!?!? It arrived in my e-mail in-box entitled "Your smiler for today" and I hope it will crack a smile with you too .........
 

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.


'House' for instance, is feminine:  'la Casa.'

'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'
 
 
 
 
Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.
 
 
The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because: 1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and



4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
 

 
 The women's group, however,  concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because: 

 
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

 
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.


 
The women won!!!!.
 

 
Have a great Friday and a fab weekend


10 comments:

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Fabby ATC Kathy and funny Friday Funny!

Even though I bought some plastic templates to AJ with yesterday, I still think I might NEEEEEED that one you show in your photo!

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Katie Berberich said...

I'm always intrigued by your swaps and what you are able to create with those materials. What fantastic images and I particularly love the water drop stamp I spotted on one of the backgrounds -very cool.
I hope you have the water back on today, that's all you need for the weekend!
Thank you so, so much for all the lovely comments you left on my blog this week, they were a joy to read. And if you are ever in the area I'd be more that willing to pop my apron on and rustle you up a batch of cupcakes. ♥
Have a fantastic weekend.
Katie x

clare said...

your atc looks great with that bubble stamp in the background Kathy.

catherine said...

Fabulous swap Atc's Kathy and wonder what your friend will do with it!

Great Friday Funny this week too!!
x catherine

Darnell J Knauss said...

LOL!! That was a super joke, Kathy!!

Your ATCs are super duper! I sure wish big bows on hips was in style during all my younger years when I was so self-conscious of my wide hips. Now the more junk in the trunk, the better! Dang, I missed out on that one. (Now, of course, my junk is more like junk in the bumper thanks to gravity!)

Have a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Debs M said...

2 fabulous makes - love the glitter on the water drops - great ff too x

Brenda Brown said...

Great post Kathy, love your ATCs and the FF is hilarious. Hope your water is back on.
Have a lovely weekend.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Terry said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous project with the DT from PanPastel UK< love it, hugs terry xxxx

Claire said...

Hi Kathy, gorgeous ATCs,really beautiful. hope you've got your water back on now and thanks for joiniing us at PanPAstel UK
Claire xx

Claire said...

Hi Kathy, gorgeous ATCs,really beautiful. hope you've got your water back on now and thanks for joiniing us at PanPAstel UK
Claire xx