Friday, 25 October 2013

It's Friday and that can only mean one thing .... the Friday Funny ...

Morning,
 
Hope there's been a lull in the rain for you all and, just maybe, some sunshine. We've just been bumming around. I did try to do some Christmas shopping but .... what I bought had to go back - don't you hate it when that happens? I did have a day shopping with my pal, Sally, again we didn't spend much at the time but .... I have a few ideas for gifties as a result so it wasn't a total waste of time and it WAS good to spend the day with a pal, nattering!
 
Still, I HAVE managed some crafting lately (though perhaps not as much as I might like - perhaps I'm missing my crafting compadre, Wynneth) and even got to use up some stash on layering - something I've gotten out of the habit of since I discovered Clean And Simple!! It's GOOD to revisit techniques though, don't you find? Anyhoo, here is a card I made using new stash and layers ....
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 12.5cm square white card and matching envelope
  • 12cm square (x 2) of black card
  • 11.5cm square of Canvas Corp striped kraft card and white card (for the insert)
  • Off cuts of black, chocolate and Kraft card PLUS a scalloped rectangle in Kraft card
  • Brown and silver ribbon
  • Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped on to Kraft card using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Distress Ink in black soot used to distress the edges of the kraft layers
 
As is my usual habit these days, the sentiment layer was duplicated on the insert and elements of the card design were used on the envelope too
 
Still working on my second art journal page, here's how it's looking right now ...
 
Mid pastel ..
 
Pastel layer complete
 
And once I'd finished with the pastel layer, it felt oily (no surprise there, the pastels being OIL based) so ... in the absence of gesso I had to improvise
 
And put down a layer of mod podge - yes, only got the SPARKLE version - ah well, it will add a certain je ne sais quoi!!!
 
Additional materials used:
  • Versamark ink
  • Penny Black dotty image
  • Diarylide yellow pan pastel applied with a soft tool wedge sponge
  • Oil pastels in lime, purple, orange, blue and yellow - blended with a warm finger!
  • Sparkle mod podge, applied using a baby wipe
 
Now to lay down some images ..... do check back on page two's progress.

And now for the Friday Funny, this week courtesy of Marsha - thanks Marsha - ENJOY peeps
 
The Winter Boots
(Anyone who has ever dressed a child will love this)
 
Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her pupils put on his boots?
 
He asked for help and she could see why.
 
Even with her pulling, and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on.
 
By the time they got the second boot on, she had worked up a sweat.
 
She almost cried when the little boy said,
'Teacher, they're on the wrong feet.'
 
She looked, and sure enough, they were.
 
Unfortunately, it wasn't any easier pulling the boots off, than it was putting them on.
 
She managed to keep her cool as, together, they worked to get the boots back on, this time on the correct feet.
 
He then announced,
'These aren't my boots.'
 
She bit her tongue, rather than get right in his face and scream,
'Why didn't you say so?'
Like she wanted to.
 
Once again, she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet.
 
No sooner had they got the boots off when he said,
'They're my brother's boots. But my Mom made me wear 'em today.'
 
Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry.
 
But she mustered up what grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots BACK onto his feet again.
 
Helping him into his coat, she asked,
'Now, where are your mittens?'
 
He said,
'I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots.'


She'll be eligible for parole in three years.
 
 
Have a fabulous Friday and a great weekend everyone

6 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Love your card Kathy, a great sentiment. As a teacher myself the FF really resonates with me but still soooo funny.
Have a great weekend.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

FABULOUS Card and your second AJ page is looking GREAT. I like the schparkle!

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

great makes - love the crafty sentiment! I must send that ff to my sister! x

scrappyjacky said...

I always like to see some layering.
As a teacher....that 'Funny' definately brought a smile!!

catherine said...

Great card kathy and journal pages look to be coming along well. Great Friday funny this week.
x catherine

My name is Wynneth said...

LOVE the FF, brings back so many memories of trying to get boots/shoes etc onto little feet, gave up trying to get gloves onto tiny fingers, my kids grew up wearing mittens in the winter LOL

Your crafting compadre misses you too - such a pity we don't live closer to each other. Great layered card, perfick for the men in our lives and I love your choice of colours.

love
wynneth
x