Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Today being Christmas Eve, I'd like to take this opportunity ....

to wish all of my family, friends, followers and occasional readers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year. I know many of you will be off-line and spending your time with your family tomorrow so ..... Thank you all for your support and comments through 2013 and I hope to see you all during 2014 too. I thought I would post this today as it is only ONE MORE SLEEP (and, yes, Lesley - this time I'm SURE) till the big day - anything not purchased now is not GOING to get purchased whether it be food, decorations or gifts! Hubby went to Sainsburys at 06:00 on Monday morning, to avoid both the rush AND the rain - given that the forecast was for high winds and lashing down rain from 08:00 on the 23rd till more or less Christmas Day!! FAB! Guess this means no white Christmas again and I'll just have to watch the movie .... AGAIN!
 
I sent out over 70 handmade Christmas cards so, if yours didn't arrive then it's probably in transit someplace! If you mailed one to me then, THANK YOU so much, your thoughts are always appreciated and more so at Christmas.

However, there is ALWAYS at least one person you omit from your list and (isn't it always the way?) their timely reminder comes to you - the day AFTER the last posting day for delivery in time for Christmas. The dilemma is .... do you tough it out? Do you pretend you mailed one (secure in the knowledge it will never arrive) or do you 'fess up and send a New Year card? Well here's my option ...



Materials used:
  • White C6, 300 gsm scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • White card offcuts
  • Red and black card offcuts
  • Plain and scalloped dies
  • Little Yellow Bicycle "banner" image stamped on to White card using Adirondack red pepper ink and cut out
  • Verses Rubber Stamps wood mounted "Happy New Year" image stamped centrally in the banner shape using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Penny Black wreath image stamped on to the plain circular white card panel using Versafine vintage sepia
  • Stardust stickles used to highlight the stars and ribbon on the wreath

My husband is a superstar, I don't tell him anywhere near often enough so, if you are reading this honey - you're a star! Why particularly? Well, in addition to doing the last fresh veg/fruit/meat and dairy Christmas shop he also decided to make our Christmas cake today. CHRISTMAS CAKE I h ear you cry - "far too late" ...... let me explain, we don't eat fruit cake much so our Christmas cake is actually a Bailey's chocolate cake (very similar to a sachertorte) with a chocolate ganache decoration .... an idea passed to me by my crafting buddy Katie. Well, just LOOK at how well it turned out - thanks hubby and thanks Katie too

The naked cake, cooling

All ganached and nowhere to go!!!


So, I'll leave you all to your Christmas, however you plan to spend it and since we live in a technological age here is my technology based greeting! Have a good one!
 
 
 

8 comments:

Di said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you too Kathy! Hope you have a lovely time - and I just licked the top of your cake :)

Hugs, Di xx

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Mmmm . . . looks DELICIOUS . . . can I have a slice to take home please?

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and happy New Year too Kathy. ENJOY!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sue - said...

A Merry Christmas to you as well! Your cake looks scrummy!

scrappyjacky said...

Happy Christmas to you....and happy eating!

Lesley Thomas said...

I got all of mine yesterday too - braved the lashing rain, but I was at the shops at 9am, and on my way home by 10.30 while the rest of Ireland was all heading to where I had just been! I went to buy some purple lining to a jacket I'm making, and managed to leave the sleeve at the shop... but at least they let me know, and I can collect it on Saturday. Other than that, I think I'm organised. Happy Christmas Eve to you Kathy. I love that swirl wreath stamp, but can't find it anywhere.

clare said...

Cake looks lush! Have a great Xmas. X

MaryH said...

Yum, your Hubby's cake looked delicious. He cooks & shops, better hang on to him! Loved your New Year's card idea...great way to remember anyone whom you missed with the Christmas cards. We always manage to have one or 2 that we miss...no matter how carefully I try to review. Christmas is waning, so I'll wish a Happy 2014, and looking forward to seeing lots of lovelies here. Hugs

My name is Wynneth said...

You're not wrong Kathy, it's a problem when you receive a late card from someone you didn't send to. For the first time (that I can recall) this year we didn't receive from anyone we hadn't sent to. I do like your solution and what an awesome New Year card you created. I'm sure they will love it and it may well stay on display far longer than a Christmas card would !

I can attest to the fact that Mr K is indeed a Super Star ! His culinary skills are second to none and it seems his shopping is too LOL

I LOVE the look and sound of that amazing Baileys cake - might have to ask for the recipe for that one... slurp ! A great alternative to fruit cake by the looks of it and I'll bet it was delish.

luv
wynneth
x