Saturday, 4 January 2014

Saturday challenge day

Morning all,

Blimey, is it me or is the weather seriously FREAKY right now? We were wakened by the weather during the night and it kept us awake for well over an hour what with the high winds and the rain lashing against the windows  ........ not helped by our neighbour having broken guttering either!! AND I hear that the northern U.S. and Canada are experiencing blizzard conditions and sever feet of snow!!! Stay safe if you are heading out today, though (frankly) I strongly recommend that you stay in and craft.

Yesterday saw just enough let up in the horrible weather for me to attend both of the funerals I set out to. Grim old day and it must have been so much worse for the bereaved families, my thoughts remain with you Andrea, Rob and family and Trish, Paul and their families
 
And now to the crafting, to lift the mood, over at CASual Fridays their new challenge is "in a word". I shall be pondering that during today
 
Whilst Simply Less Is More have chosen "Winter blues" as their first colour theme of 2014 and I have produced this ...... I DO hope that, when I return to the blog to upload I don't read those chilling words One Layer Card as this one isn't!!!! Wish me luck!
 
Here's my card
 
And a close up so you can see my splatter image which didn't show up well when photographed
 
Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and a matching sized envelope
  • Off cuts of navy and white card
  • Using the white card off cut I swiped two distress inks towards the centre, from opposite ends - tumbled glass and broken china
  • Using broken china ink  I stamped my Inkylicious splatter image a couple of times
  • Using the Distress Ink (salty ocean) ink I stamped my Kaisercraft grid image on the larger offcut and the Stampers Anonymous frame on a smaller piece
  • Using Memento Paris Dusk ink I stamped the Rubbernecker thistle image and the Stampers Anonymous sentiment before cutting out the framed sentiment.
  • I matted both the image panel and the sentiment panel on to offcuts of navy card and .... VOILA!!! a CAS card using Winter Blues! Hope you like it!
 
The guys over at the Pan Pastels blog have a challenge of "ANYTHING GOES" right now so I'll be entering this card there too - wish me luck. You don't HAVE to use Pan Pastels to enter and you DO get the chance to win some - how cool is that?

Have a great Saturday, be safe


23 comments:

Debs M said...

great card Kathy - looking forward to what you come up with for casual fridays! ;)x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Smashing! I love that background sooooo much and wholeheartedly approve of your colour scheme too :oD Good for almost every occasion if you ask me... The lovely image is the cherry on the icing on the cake. Top job!

So sorry for your losses. What a sad day for you all yesterday.

Lx

SARN (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Terrific card Kathy. Love the colours used and the background.

Sorry to hear you had a sad start to the New Year.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

You know I was tninking the very same thing as a glued my first addition to the card ...those haunting words of 'one layer' lol then I realised nooooo its a colour theme. So stuck more on :0)

Sounds like you've had a tough few days. Brings the fragility of life home a bit starting the year off with two funerals I'm sure. :0(

Loving your card. Would be suitable for pretty much anyone! Very handy!

Lesley Thomas said...

Pretty card Kathy, and even if the challenge is for a one layer card, this design would lend itself OK.

Sorry about the funerals, such sad occasions, and in awful weather they just seem worse.

We had your gale/storm the night before (I'm in the NW of Ireland, and I think there is another one forecast!

catherine said...

looks fabulous Kathy and love the stamped image
x catherine

Chris said...

Simply beautiful!
Chris
x

Loli said...

Hola Kathy, Happy and creative New Year!!!
Thank you for your comment,fantastic card Kathy, i like your background great effect, good work Kathy!!.
Hugs from Palma and stay safe!!1

Craft-E-Place said...

Great card,
Elaine

Lorraine said...

lovely

cheryl Baker said...

Super card hun, just love that stamp great colours too hugs cheryl xx

Brenda Brown said...

The weather is definitely unusual. We woke to a flooded back garden, not nice at all, but it has subsided now thank goodness.
Love your blue card.
Take care.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Beverley said...

I agree the weather is CrAzY & crafting is the best thing to do on days like today! Beautiful card :) Happy 2014! Hugs Bev x

Chrissie said...

This is lovely Kathy... love the image!
Happy New Year!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Margaret said...

Gorgeous card Kathy. Happy New Year
Margaret x

Lizy Bartaby said...

This is fab Kathy! Love the faded look and the thistle :)
Happy new year!
Lizy xx

Fiona said...

Ha ha! I had to check twice too...how many times have I done that! Lovely card, nice stamping on the gridded background and super image. Stay warm and dry.

Gerrina said...

Beautiful blues and a perfect card for LIM! Hope you enjoy the weekend!

Jen said...

just a fabulous card Kathy love the colours of blue used

Thanks for joining us this week
Jen xx
Less Is More

Darnell J Knauss said...

Good luck with the Pan Pastels challenge - with all the challenges, Kathy! Your card is very pretty and great for all of them! I hope that today has brought a big change in the terrible weather over there and it stays calm and dry so you can all dry out. I feel really blessed where I am! Hugs, Darnell

M said...

I also went back to the 'Less is More' challenge bog, heart in mouth, to check it wasn't an OLC challenge! I love the simplicity of the the thistle against the check background - perfect in blue. Marina

Lynne said...

Smashing card Kathy, love the background.
Lynne xxx

Vicky Hayes said...

Your thistle looks fabulous against the splatter and grid background Kathy. I agree about the weather - seriously freaky! Vicky x