Friday, 28 February 2014

It's that time of the week once more ... time for the Friday Funny

Morning peeps,

Just a quick drive by from me as I'm leaving hubby on his own this weekend and heading north - to Craftathon 2014, which will be held in Rugeley, Staffs. This is the fourth year we've held this and, if you are sitting comfortably then I'll tell you how it all started ...... it was on the original Craftbubble (now defunct) forum and on a group originally called Let's Get Stamping which morphed in to Craft Mad and Loving It - because we do! We were a small group of die hard crafters and got on so well on-line that a meeting seemed almost inevitable at some point. One day whilst discussing our crafting days, a germ of an idea for Craftathon was born. Our first group meeting was in Accrington (Lancs.) and we had a workshop booked at Dawn Bibby's store (now also defunct - don't THINK it was anything to do with us!!!!). My dear hubby trawled t'internet and found us a B&B quite handy to the store (the chain hotels didn't seem interested in offering a good rate so we voted with our feet!) AND who were happy to have a glitter haze of crafters descend for the weekend!! Just six of us made it to that meeting but from all corners of the U.K., some arriving by train and others by car (some of us even managed train AND car!!). Our workshop was taught by Rachel Greig of Dark Room Door and I think it's safe to say that we all had an absolute blast, tried products we'd never even heard of and got on like the proverbial house on fire!!! There was no chance that this would be the only time we would meet!, and THAT'S how Craftathon started! During the following year we decided that the formality of the pre-arranged workshop was great but we thought how much fun it would be to do our own, we had crafters of all types and skill levels so everyone would bring something to the table and that's how Craftathon 2012 was conceived - we hired a hall in Bristol and worked out our own agenda of "workshops", the formula ROCKED so we did it again in 2013 in Hereford, when it was organised by Clare - thanks Clare!.

So, nothing LIKE the quick drive by blog post as I had planned but ..... a number of people have asked about Craftathon so I thought it was high time to explain!

Anyhoo, this year's get together is in Rugeley, kicking off on Friday, and there will be SEVEN of us this time. It's being jointly organised by Wynneth and her crafting dad, known as Sir Andy of Stafford! Our primary workshop will be making an MDF clock (using the blank shown below). Obviously, different crafters will approach this in different ways and at different speeds so we're thinking we may need drying times, catchup time and thinking times so we've each devised a "shoe box" project to fill in those awkward little gaps. What's a shoe-box project? A surprisingly simple concept and perfect for our needs ..... everyone attending has been tasked with making something (needn't be a card, could be a tag/book/ATC etc) which may be completed in 30 minutes or less. Once the item has been produced then each person needs to reproduce all of the materials (x the number of attendees) and bag them individually. and then (shoe) box them. Once at Craftathon every person can then simply take a bagged project from the box and, after studying the original, can then make their own version ...... schimples! Due to the fact the materials are all bagged up then, should we run out of time, people can simply photograph the original and then take their baggy home and complete the project , at their leisure - perfick! WELL, THAT'S THE PLAN!
Our basic clock blank
Additionally, we will be chatting, laughing (if previous years are anything to go by) and spontaneously exchanging ideas and techniques till we have craft overload! Sunday morning, after a leisurely breakfast, we'll all be packing up, saying our goodbyes, heading home and waiting for details of Craftathon 2015!!! Wonder where it will be ......

Anyway, having shot myself in the foot by having a dummy run on the packing and then thinking "what the heck? I may as well leave it packed" I found myself without my first port of call stash and rediscovered an old favourite. You probably saw the set deployed on Wednesday but, in case you missed it - it was this set ..............


C1466 - Instant Memories from Close to my heart

And here's how it panned out this time ...




Materials used:

  • ATC blank
  • Holographic silver paper (originally "broken into" for a recent LIM challenge so it's technically now a "snippet"!!) - I sanded the centre of this piece to give a "key" to adhere my image panel to ..
  • White card snippet
  • All images by Close to my heart except the Paper Artsy "splatter"
  • Inks used: Memento rich cocoa, Paris dusk, London fog, vintage sepia, dandelion, Brilliance copper

Earlier this week it was lovely and sunny ... I was JUST about to walk to the local post box with a card for a pal celebrating a big birthday early next week when ...


Needless to say .... I didn't go!!! I may be many things but terminally stupid isn't one of them!!!

And now for the Friday Funny, brought to us this week by my pal SandraT - ENJOY, it's not so much FUNNY as INCREDIBLE to think how things have changed!! 

  
Someone  asked the other day, 'What was your favourite  'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We  didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I  informed him. 'All the food was slow.'  'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you  eat?'
  'It  was a place called 'home,'' I explained.  ! 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd  figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans,  set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school... I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed
  (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white,  and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it  came back on the air at about 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local  people...

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers
--My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a  week.  He had to get up at 6 every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut.

If  you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.  Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES  from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she  died recently) and he brought me an old lemonade bottle. 
In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea.
She thought  they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons.  Man, I am old.

How  many do you remember?
 
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. 
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1.  Sweet cigarettes
2.  Coffee shops with juke  boxes
3.  Home milk delivery in glass bottles 
4.  Party lines  on  the telephone
5.  Newsreels before the movie 
6.  TV test patterns that came on at night after the  last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
(There were only 2  channels
  [if you were fortunate])
7.  Peashooters
8.
 33 rpm  records
9.  45 RPM records
10.  Hi-fi's
11.
 Metal ice trays with  levers
12.  Blue flashbulb
13.  Cork popguns
14.  Wash  tub wringers

If  you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If  you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If  you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If  you remembered 11-14 = You're positively  ancient!
 

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
Don't forget to pass this  along!
Especially to all your really
OLD  friends....I just did!
(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)
 

      

 

 

 

WOW! - how things have changed?!?!

Me? Sadly, I qualify as POSITIVELY ANCIENT - I scored 11!
 

Here's a bit of a bonus Friday Funny, I was talking to a pal recently (Beverley - you KNOW who you are!!!) and she was telling me about a conversation one of her friends had had with her mum. The subject was holidays and the friend told her mum she fancied going to Idaho in the U.S., to which her mum answered with something along the lines of "why go then?" Confused, she asked her mum to explain - turns out mum thought she had said he fancied going to the U.S. ........ I dunno!!!! Can't help but wonder if the friend's mum might have been a Mrs Malaprop!

Over at CAS-ual Fridays they've been launching a new Design Team this past few days - with prizes and, guess what? I WON one of them!!! This is what I'm hoping will be landing on my mat sometime soon


See the rest of their awesome range of stamps and dies here

Their new Design Team will be launching their first challenge today and I'm sorry to have to be missing it - hope you'll stop by and check it out
here though!

Anyway, my apologies for this somewhat rambling post - hope you found it informative and thanks for persevering right to the end! Have a fab Friday and a GREAT weekend - I know I plan to!


9 comments:

Sue - said...

OMG I must be more than positively ancient as I remembered 13 out of 14!! Enjoy your craftathon - I'm off to Make It tomorrow so no doubt will come home somewhat poorer!

Debs M said...

Great post Kathy - I am getting older! Great stamp set too x

My name is Wynneth said...

What a great explanation for all those baffled by the term 'Craftathon' - nice reminder of its origins for those of us lucky enough to be part of it too, thanks for that.

All done on your prize win, bet you'll have hours of fun playing with it !

I'm The Ancient Mariner the, scored 14 out of 14 in the FF quiz LOL

Drive carefully when heading north, we'll be waiting for you with growing excitement.

Let the FUN commence.

Luv
Wynneth
X

Lesley Thomas said...

Morning Kathy, I'm older than the hills, I remembered every one of them! Sad, isn't it.

Wish I was coming to your craftathon, it sounds really great.

SARN said...

I am positively ancient too!

I just KNOW you will have a GREAT weekend Kathy. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Enjoy! xxx

SARN said...

Oh and I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on your win (even though I can't see the picture!) xxx

scrappyjacky said...

Hmmmm....I'm definately ancient....though I don't actually remember party lines.
Have a great craftathon.

Viv said...

Great card Kathy....and oh I am ancient it seems lol :) Viv xx

Craftyrose said...

Have a fabulous time lovely lady. I may not be with you in person, but I'll be thinking of you and raising a glass or two tomorrow. xxxxxxxxxx