Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Tuesday and it's RUDOLPH DAY!

Hi there,

Yesterday remained fine (no blooming rain!!) but pretty grey much of the day. We decided to head out to a local shopping "precinct" (not grand enough to be a "mall"!) - hubby was looking for storage and I was looking for a branch of Rymans (for some of their 3 for 2, 200gsm card, ready for craftathon). We headed off down the road but only got about 500 yards when the road closed sign and police tape stopped us, that and the numerous police cars littering the way forward. OH MY! Thankfully, from that distance we couldn't see much .... I'm a bit squeamish! On a lighter note, hubby got his storage and I got my 200gsm card for Craftathon! Woo Hoo.
 
It's my turn to present the Rudolph Day challenge over on craftbubble 2½ (registration required) and I've gone with a sketch ... and away from my CAS style which I've taken to like a duck to water - no sign of my beloved Kaisercraft images here either!!! What IS Rudolph Day? Well, it's the incentive to help you keep abreast of your Christmas card making by making at least one Christmas card every month - guess it depends entirely on how many hand made cards you send out!!! I sent nearly 80 in 2013 so, over 11 months I need to bat an average or seven or eight! Hence my entering at least two Rudolph Day challenges! and, yes, it DOES need to be a CHRISTMAS project though not by definition ..... a card!
 
And here's the card I made using this sketch ...
 
My card

I used mini tree decorations for my embellishments - we crafters waste NOTHING!
 
Materials used:
  • 12½cm square white, 250 gsm card and matching sized envelope
  • 12cm square chocolate coloured card (offcut retained for smaller panel)
  • 11½cm square DCWV plaid paper (offcut retained for smaller panel)
  • Off cut of a Costco double sided paper - for matting
  • Martha Stewart edging punch
  • Red satin ribbon with gold edging (actually, it says Merry Christmas on the other side but I didn't want to use that side)
  • DCWV 6" x 4" glitter stack - red, die cut in to fancy circle
  • Offcut of white card die cut in to a circle and also to a banner panel for the sentiment
  • Recollections bauble image stamped on to circle of white card using Memento tuxedo black and coloured using alcohol markers and a Copic Atyou Spica black glitter pen
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped on the banner panel using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Mini Christmas tree decorations in glitter gold (with the hanging loop snipped off)
  • Faux crystal gemstone
 
Yee Haa! Hope it's going to inspire some entries over on Craftbubble but, either way, I have another Christmas card for my collection too!!!

And, Sarn, has a Rudolph Day challenge starting today too - for the whole of 2014 every entrant has to submit two cards, in the same post, to be eligible so - here is my second card to make my post eligible for her new challenge .........


 

Materials used:
  • 12½cm square white, 250 gsm card and matching sized envelope
  • 12cm square chocolate card
  • 11½cm square white card
  • Unknown image (I bought unmounted at a show a number of years ago ..) stamped on to white card using versamark ink.
  • Bronze and bright gold pan pastels applied with a fine sofft tool applicator and set with hairspray
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped using Versafine vintage sepia ink
Look at that lustrous sheen on those pan pastels ..........

 
 
I had also intended to enter it over at CASe this sketch but got my dates mixed up and realised that this particular sketch challenge had closed - ahh well, no matter ...... it IS still another Christmas card to add to my growing collection!

Happy Tuesday, hope it's a creative day for you too

13 comments:

Debs M said...

OOh not worked from a sketch for a bit 0 two great cards Kathy x

Squirrel x said...

Both gorgeous hunny, but my favourite is the classic elegance of the pine cones on your second card. Hugs xx

Lilian said...

Great sketch Kathy. Love to two cards . I will try to remember its a Christmas Callenge thisd month,
Hugs
lilian

Lauren Hatwell said...

Smashing sketch and I love your tartan card with the mini decorations on too. FABBY!

Ryman has done well out of Craftathon as we were in there the other day too, stocking up on coated card AND their three for two storage deal. Too good to miss :oD

Shame about missing the CASe challenge but it IS a smashing Christmas Card nonetheless.

Lx

Lesley Thomas said...

Morning Kathy, I like the second card a little more too - more your kind of style. I think it was the tartan which I wasn't sure about on the other one. A lot of rain here again today - flooding on the train line between Sligo and Dublin, so I'm glad I don't have travel.

SARN said...

Wahooo! Hi Kathy . . .just LOOK at the shine on that second card!

Two great Christmas makes here - vibrant for the first one and COOOL, CAS and shiny for the second one. Perfect!

Thanks for joining in with my version of Rudolph Day.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

scrappyjacky said...

More lovely xmas cards....I don't think you'll have any shortage come xmas.

Sue Bridesmith said...

Great Designs Kathy, love the use of your tree embellishment..
Hugs
Suzy B x

Janice said...

Great minds I'd say! Glad to see I'm not the only mad elf out there working on Christmas. Love both your cards, Jx

Kathleen said...

Two brilliant cards, love the total contrast and the gold is stunning.

Kath x

Laura said...

Love that you've used an ornament on your card :)

Jan Frances said...

Really gorgeous cards. Gold one is my favourite (if Im alllowed a favourite!) Jan xx

scrappymo! said...

Two great cards. Each different from the other and each their own kind of beauty.