Friday, 21 February 2014

Welcome to another weekend ..... oh, and the Friday Funny too!

Morning all,

Not exactly a busy week but a pleasant week .... Wednesday saw me out to meet up with a crafting pal (Lilian) for coffee (skinny latte and NO CAKE! - honestly!), home for lunch and then out again to the surrogates as hubby was doing some DIY for them, fitting some socket covers and a blind. UNFORTUNATELY, it looked like the previous homeowner may have been a bit cavalier on the DIY front and proved the old "nothing's ever simple" adage - so, it was another trip to B&Q and then a return visit to put a few "extras" right!

I DO enjoy meeting up with like minded crafters and I've just had confirmation that my crafting pal from the Netherlands, Katie, is going to be very close to my part of the U.K. for a whole week in March and we're working on a meet - hope that works out, there WILL be photos! What with that and CRAFTATHON 2014 next weekend (28/2 - 2/3) there's a lot going on craft wise. Must look out my bits and bobs to take with me to Craftathon and ensure the camera's fully charged as there WILL be photographs! I have a separate page on here where I will record most of the goings on but there will also be an "edited highlights" post on my home page once we're all back home but I'm pretty sure the rest of the attendees (Andy, Cherry, Debs, Lauren, Nicola, Wynneth) are looking forward to it as much as I am.
 
I've been working on mail art this week, as I signed up to a swap amongst crafting friends: Clare, Debs, Louise and Wynneth. Now I couldn't possibly ruin the surprise by telling who will get which but ... if you've a preference ladies ....
 

 
ENVELOPE #3
Materials used:
  • C5 white envelope
  • White gesso to prepare the envelope - on reflection perhaps I should either have put a thicker coat or a second coat but I was anxious to crack on!
  • Images: Stampers Anonymous "spots" sentiment and "chequers", JOFY "flower stem", "meadow" and "take time" sentiment, Magenta "foliage". Penny Black "Too much" sentiment
  • Various caps, a wine cork and a credit card - for circles, dots and lines
  • Paints: Paper Artsy orchid and pansy, acrylic cadmium yellow, Luminarte mica paint, Distress Paint in spun sugar and seedless preserves (applied with a credit card and smooshed across the front and back of the envelope though you can only see the effect on the reverse)
  • Alcohol markers to colour
  • Inktense pencils ... did you know that, on gesso, inktense pencils will cause Memento ink to "bleed"? Me either so I ended up having to stamp again on separate paper, colour with alcohol markers, cut out and adhere to my envelope
  • Claudine Hellmuth matte medium to seal (couldn't find it when I started so, my first project got sealed with gloss gel medium ... at least it shouldn't run in the postal system)
 
Here's how the back looks right now .... I'm still debating the sentiment and whether I should put more colour on it .... after all, the theme is "Bright and cheerful"!

I THOUGHT I'd finished it but ..... I simply had to have another go as the theme was
"Bright and cheerful" and this just didn't seem bright or cheerful enough!!
Better?

And here's my final mail art envelope

FRONT

BACK

ENVELOPE #4
Materials used:
  • C5 envelope, gesso'd
  • Distress Paints: Seedless preserve and Spun sugar dabbed randomly on to a non stick craft sheet and the envelope "smooshed " through, to cover the front of the envelope.
  • FOR THE FRONT
  • IMAGES: Dylusions check border, vine border, PAPER ARTSY splatter, Hero Arts Bird image, Hampton Arts "ART" sentiment
  • INKS:Memento rhubarb stalk, potters clay, rosebud. Stazon Vibrant Violet, Versafine onyx black
FOR THE REVERSE
  • IMAGES: Inkylicious stripes, Kaisercraft "grid", "crackle", "stain", "bubblewrap", Inkadinkado memoryscape insects,
  • INKS: Memento: tangelo, rosebud, pear tart, potters clay, rhubarb stalk, rich cocoa, tuxedo black
  • Alcohol markers to colour
  • Claudine Hellmuth matte medium to seal

I took delivery of some stash which arrived whilst I was coffee-ing with Lilian on Wednesday too, wanna see?.

I'm ALMOST as obsessed by splats as I am with Kaisercraft images ....


Over at The Card Concept they have a new challenge ... to use a floral theme. If you fancy having a go then check it out here

It's also rapidly approaching the 25th of February - designated as RUDOLPH DAY!!! The day a new challenge for Christmas cards is presented. It's my turn to prepare the challenge on Craftbubble (other Rudolph Days are available - Sarn runs one too) and so that was my crafting last night. Of course, since the 25th isn't until ... well, the 25th! I can't share it with you - YET! You will just have to come back on Tuesday and see what fiendish challenge has been set!

And now for this week's Friday Funny, courtesy of PatG - ENJOY!!! This came in e-mail form and was entitled ... FAIRLY LOGICAL ...
 
On the first day, God created the dog and said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said, "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"

And God saw it was good.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said, "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."


The monkey said, "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the dog did?"

And God, again saw it was good.

On the third day, God created the cow and said, "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."

The cow said, "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"

And God agreed it was good.

On the fourth day, God created humans and said, "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."

But the human said, "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."

So that is why for our first twenty years, we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years, we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years, we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years, we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information. I'm doing it as a public service. If you are looking for me, I will be on the front porch.


And as a bonus funny - check out this video - it's only a minute long, just hope I embedded it right!

AND as a BONUS bonus funny, Hettie has an awesome funny to share today too - see it here

Kathy

 

7 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Why do I never think to decorate the envelopes?! Looks like you had super inky fun with these hunny. And now life has been explained to me, I shall prepare myself for my day as a cow! Hugs xx

Lesley Thomas said...

Morning Kathy, your bright and cheerful was def. better with the additions. The goat 'toy' was brilliant, so funny to watch them playing like that.

Clare Lloyd said...

more fab mail art Kathy and great looking new stamps. x

scrappyjacky said...

I'm loving all your mail art.

Debs M said...

loving the jofy's - they are on my wish list - looks like we all had similar ideas for which stash to use! Great new stamps and what a great vid of the goats x

Louise said...

Your new stamps look great :-)
So do your last two mail arts. The JoFY stamps of flowers which are circles, on your first, are my faves. They just shout out 'fun' and bright colours.

Hettie said...

Beautiful mail art there and ever so slightly purple! What a surprise!
Great funny and love the goats. Maybe we should try that in the Playground, though for us not the goats!!
Thanks for the shout. Today's should have been different but unfortunately it would not show!
Hugs
xx