Friday, 7 February 2014

Welcome to the Friday post and Funny

Morning peeps,

Welcome to my two new followers, Kristie and Shery of Stamplorations - thanks so much for following me and I hope you will stop by from time to time.

OH MY! What weather we've had this week? It's been wet and WILD here and some of our neighbours have lost roof tiles. I'm given to understand we've not endured anything like the worst of it so some parts of the U.K. must be in dire straits. I have no idea how much longer it's going to last (but won't be sorry when it's gone) and no clue about how long we are all going to be feeling the repercussions from the storms and resulting damage. Stay safe out there fellow bloggers
 
I know we all have our favourite blogs and challenges we like to enter ..... I came across a new one (to me) recently ...... The Card Concept which offers a challenge fortnightly with things to suit everyone .. unusual to say the least as there are CAS and cutesie and fussy and layered and so on and so forth. Their main aims are:

This is a bi-weekly challenge blog, which features 12 designers and 6 different styles.
Each designer has their own "style" of design and they explain how they were inspired by the challenge.
The styles are divided into 6 style themes:
  • Clean & Simple (CAS)
  • Clean & Layered
  • Clean & Graphic
  • Freestyle Collage
  • Shabby Chic
  • Classy & Elegant
    We may have guest designers from time to time. 
    The participants are encouraged to create a card, based on the challenge and they have to choose one of the "styles" of our designers to design in and tell which style is selected.
 
Something for everyone eh? Their current challenge,  #3 is: "PINK" .... and I can think of a few people this colour is as perfect for as purple would be for me! You can see, from my card below, that I found a smidge of inspiration for this one already! Wonder if it will be the ONLY entry from me!
 



Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • White card and black card offcuts for image panel and matting layer
  • Kaisercraft images: "grid", "chequer", "bubblewrap"
  • Visible Image "splatter" image
  • Hero Arts "dandelion" image
  • Inks used: Versafine onyx black and Brilliance orchid for image panel
  • Brilliance orchid, Memento rosebud, Distress Ink in worn lipstick, Versacolour raspberry and orchid

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as Clean And Simple (though there IS plenty of white space) so (if not) I reckon I may go with Freestyle collage instead!! Reckon this will be a challenge I shall be having a go at on a regular basis  - now I've discovered it!

Here's a close up of those layers of stamped images.

 
 
 
I am LOVING this technique and it seems set to become a new favourite (as if it wasn't already one of those!). It's so easy to do, each one is unique and ALL you need is a couple of background images - I've used unmounted clear images from Kaisercraft, Visible Image, Stamplorations, Inkylicious - all fab, and a variety of matching (tonal) inks. My tip would be NOT to mount the images on to an acrylic block but just to ink them up and the flexibility of the clear image will then allow you to apply pressure with fingers so you get the image just where you want it! This makes for easy decoration inside the card and the envelope too. Give it a go - I'm sure you must all have some suitable background stamps .....


The inside and the envelope (front and back) - cool huh?

EDITED TO READ: Found one! A Friday challenge - Stamplorations have launched their latest monthly challenge and it is: STAMPING AND STITCHING ... might have a go at that later.

 And now for the Friday Funny, it comes to you this week courtesy of my trading card buddy PatG .... so you can all blame her!!! ENJOY
 
A frog goes into a bank and   approaches the teller. He can see from her nameplate
that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get
a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."
Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog says his name is
Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will
need to secure the loan with some collateral. The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed.

Very confused, Patty explains
that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and
says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who
claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use this as collateral."

She holds up the tiny pink
elephant. "I mean, what in  the world is this?"


The bank manager looks back at her and says. ........................

"It's a knickknack, Patty
Whack. Give the frog a loan, His old man's a Rolling Stone."

(You're singing it, aren't you? Yeah, I know you are..)

Never take life too seriously! Come on now, you grinned, I know you did!
 
 


Have a great weekend fellow bloggers!

13 comments:

SARN said...

Oh my giddy aunt . . . the FF is TERRIBLE (but funny!!!!). You narna!

LOVE today's card and the technique you used. FAB.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Viv's Visuals said...

I swear these jokes are getting WORSE!!! LOL Checked out the 'Concept' blog - looks a goodie (if only Mr Blogger would let me follow it!)
Like this card very much Kathy - and a technique that I will try so thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

cheryl Baker said...

oh hun this is a terrific card hun as for the joke ha ha,made me giggle lol hugs Cherylxxxx

Deepti said...

I love that grungy BG behind the panel :) beautiful card

Debs M said...

groan!!!!! great card - love the dandelion stamp x

Lee Ann Barrett said...

I love this, Kathy! your blend of background stamps and monochromatic pinks is wonderful and is a perfect backdrop for your flower. So glad you joined us this week at The Card Concept.

Tracey McNeely said...

Love the grungey background. Thank you so much for joining us at the Card Concept!

Kerin said...

The background you've created is awesome with this sweet stamp. Love the matching envelope too. Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept this week :)

Diane said...

Beautiful card...love this new challenge and you have done an outstanding job of it...funny joke, too.lol!!

Cathy Weber said...

I agree with Tracey...love the grungy feel you have created with your monochromatic pink card...cute flowers and I bet this one would look just as good in purple!

sandie said...

Love this Kathy, great use of the mixed media set, and love the inside of your card x

serendipity said...

lovely pink cards Kathy - inspiring, and I love the frog story

Chriss Blagrave said...

Love the grunge an dandelions, pretty together and the scalloped edging...lovely!