Monday, 10 March 2014

Morning and welcome to Monday

Morning all,

Oops, how quickly those Mondays come around? Is it me or do they seem to be getting closer together?

Occasionally, I sign up for an ATC swap - and I did this recently where the theme was "LUCKY CHARMS" .... I struggled with this theme but I wanted to support it as the previous swap was cancelled due to lack of interest. Anyhoo, over the course of a couple of weeks the ATC sort of developed. I used a charm and a lucky shamrock and black cat as well as a good luck sentiment - figuring they all represent luck .... see what you think. I fear that, by taking so long I sort of lost track a bit, perhaps not my finest work as a result but I do feel it matches the criteria of the theme.

Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Glossy white cardstock
  • TCW stencil and Imaginations Crafts sparkle medium in soft purple (the glitter is tremendously sparkly but, sadly, this doesn't fully come across in the photo)
  • Distress Ink in seedless preserves applied using an Inkylicious ink duster
  • Imagine That shamrock stamped randomly over the trading card, using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Small hole punched in ATC and brass charm attached to trading card using a small brad
  • Craft Stamper free "black cat" image stamped using Versafine onyx black on to white card and fussy cut out
  • Imagine That sentiment stamped on to white card using Versafine onyx black ink, but out and matted on black card before attaching to the ATC using dimensional foam adhesive.
 I made four of these, using various charms but the basic design elements were otherwise the same.

I'm still playing catch up with my quota of Christmas cards AND I found a new Christmas challenge called Festive Friday .... their current challenge is a photo inspiration challenge and the photo is a bit fab





If that doesn't inspire you to make a Christmas card/project then I don't know what will!!! And what did I make with this inspiration? I'm still in my splatter phase so thought about how I could incorporate this in to my card design - did I succeed? Read on ...





Materials used:

  • White C6, 300 gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Paper Artsy "splatter" inked up with Brilliance rocket red gold and stamped numerous times around the edge of the card blank
  • Recollections "splatter" inked up with Brilliance thyme and stamped numerous times around the edge of the card blank
  • Off cuts of Black and Kraft card (for matting) and an offcut of white card - cut to fit the image
  • Unknown manufacturers cling mounted image (I bought it YEARS ago at a stamp show) stamped using Versamark ink, Funstamps gold razzle dazzle embossing powder liberally sprinkled over, excess shaken off and then heat embossed - see how sparkly it became?
  • Stamplorations sentiment stamped on to an offcut of white card, cut out and then attached to my card using dimensional foam tape

You can see the heat embossing below and how it sparkles - I used to emboss ALL the time and then pro markers came along and I sort of just STOPPED and then I stopped using pro markers so much when I fell for the CAS style and then there was the layered backgrounds and now, here I am, full circle - and back heat embossing and I still LOVE it! What technique did you used to use ALL THE TIME and then stop but have now re-discovered?


See how it sparkles ...

I used Color Box gold and Versafine onyx black inks for the envelope

Hope you all approve ..... as usual, my design (the image and sentiment) has been carried through the inside of the card too though, because of the size of the image I used Memento London fog for the image, in case people need to write over the image. Since I used some snippets I shall be entering this in Di's snippets challenge over at
Pixie's Crafty Workshop too

And another Christmas card is added to my eight per month quota - YAY! I've been so behind again this past month and fell short of my February quota - I think that was probably down to Craftathon. Time to knuckle down and make some more!

Have a great Monday everyone

10 comments:

Debs M said...

Great makes Kathy - I really need to start making some Christmas cards - another thing to add to my to do list x

Di said...

Fabulous cards Kathy! I wish I could emboss as well as you do, sigh :(

I'm eyeing up the Twinkling H2Os here - haven't played with those for ages and you just pricked my conscience!

Thanks for coming to play again!

Hugs, Di xx

sandie said...

both great cards Kathy but have to say your Xmas card is stunning, great take on the photo and fab to see you using the STAMPlorations stamps x

SARN said...

Yep - I totally approve of your makes here Kathy - and great embossing.

I used to decoupage a lot more than I do these days. I think that's cuz my eyes aren't QUITE as good as they were! I am going to HAVE to start using my glasses more and it's such a faff!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I like that you used a black cat on your good luck ATC. You can tell that the glitter is very sparkly from your photo. I'll bet it is even more so in real life. I like your sparkly evergreen boughs on the other card. Very nice.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Oooh...lovely projects there Kathy. I'm sorry to say the scrummy inspiration picture from FF made me rush to the biscuit barrel...dribble, slurp. Lx

Lesley Thomas said...

That pic designed to inspire you to make Christmas cards just made me hungry!

Lynn Mangan said...

The splatter and shimmer on your card are both so gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing with us at Festive Friday!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

Love the gold embossing, it's lovely! Thanks so much for playing with us at Festive Friday!

Geri said...

How pretty!!! LOVE the sparkle of the embossing! Glad you've found us at Festive Friday and do hope to see you again...plenty of inspiration ahead!!! Thanks so much for joining us!