Sunday, 25 May 2014

Welcome to slightly less than Summery Sunday!

Raining cats and dogs much of yesterday here - hope you were luckier where you are!
 
Well, here we are, Rudolph Day again .....time to crack on with those Christmas cards and yet .... I found myself making something decidedly UN-Christmas-y yesterday! Go figure, me, who LOVES making Christmas card AND has the perfect excuse to be making the darn things too - ah well, there's just no accounting for ones mojo is there?
 
Anyhoo, here is what I came up with instead -
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square panel of white card edged with Distress Ink in wild honey and stamped with my Kaisercraft "grid" image in Distress Ink in seedless preserves. I used the same technique on the smaller matting layer
  • White card edged with Distress Ink in seedless preserves and black card, for matting
  • I "smooshed" some birthday stash (Distress PAINTS in seedless preserve and wild honey) on to a craft mat and sprayed with water before laying my image panel on top and pressing down. I then dried this with my heat gun.
  • Taking a broad brush I loaded up some of the leftover paint and flicked over my image panel and set aside to dry
  • Paper Artsy "splatter" image stamped several times using ColorBox gold ink
  • Sunshine Designs "wheat ear" stamped twice using Versafine onyx black ink
  • And, for my texture I used Imagination Crafts sparkle medium through a TCW stencil using a plastic spatula which, along with the metallic sheen of the gold ink gives it a more feminine feel .... I had originally planned to use the Tim Holtz "man with umbrella" image but - you know how we crafters like to change tack half way!
 
Not too sure whether the texture of the sparkle medium shows up so, here's another view - hope it shows a little better - does it?
 
 
 
I'll be entering this over at the Addicted to CAS challenge which is
 
 
And also for the colour challenge at TIME OUT which has a sumptuous photo inspiration which I hope you will see inspired the above card's rich plum and orange colour scheme. I THOUGHT about adding a teal element but thought that made simply have made it a little too "busy", don't know what you think?
 
 
Now, back to those Christmas cards for me, especially since I have new stamps to play with! This card uses snippets/off cuts so I'll be entering this in to Di's snippets challenge here
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • C6 white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Off cuts of white, red, plaid and plain green card
  • Inkadinkado Santa image stamped on to my white card panel using Versafine smokey grey ink
  • Alcohol markers used to lightly colour the Santa before Inking my Fiskars sentiment with Versafine onyx black ink and stamping over the top
  • Stardust stickles to highlight

And a second one ...



Materials used:
  • C6 white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Red and green paper from the Winter Stack by DCWV
  • Offcut of plaid card edged with a Martha Stewart punch
  • White panel stamped with my Fiskars sentiment in Versafine onyx black ink before matting on to red card
  • Faux crystal gemstones and Stardust stickles to highlight

Two fairly simple and quick Christmas cards to add to my collection, so, guess what? I'm going to be entering the card above for the photo inspiration over at Festive Friday, need a reminder of the photo?, then see below. Also, since I made two Christmas cards I shall be entering both of the above cards over at Stamping for Pleasure where Sarn will be launching her new Rudolph Day challenge today - result!!!


Have a great Sunday ... the sun is shining and hubby's off to his beloved (and recently missed) flying field and we're having friends stop by later so should be a nice day ....


22 comments:

cheryl Baker said...

morning hun oh these are fab cards hun especially adore the first one the image and texture just devine hugs Cheryl xxxxx its been raining here too hunny,xx

cheryl Baker said...

morning hun oh these are fab cards hun especially adore the first one the image and texture just devine hugs Cheryl xxxxx its been raining here too hunny,xx

SARN said...

Morning Kathy - I am just LOVING your inky and splatty Wheat Grass card with your new PAINTS. FAB.

Also love the 2 Rudolph Day cards. Thanks for joining in again.

Sunshine here. Been food shopping. Now blogging. Happy Sunday.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Fabulous inkiness going on here Kathy! Love the sparkly texture (it shows up perfectly on the first pic. by the way)!
Thank you for playing along at ATCAS again - Sylvia x

Debs M said...

great cards - love the sparkle medium x

Clare Lloyd said...

Great selection of cards kathy. Enjoy your Sunday.

scrappymo! said...

A trio of wonderful cards. The Christmas card are lovely. I really like that chalkboard look stamp.

The first card steals the show IMO! This is beautiful... love the background you made, and love the stamp!!!

sandie said...

Kathy, your card is perfect the way it is, you were right I think, teal would have been too much unless used perhaps for the sentiment. I love the mix of colours and the paste gives a luxurious feel to your card, just like our photo at TIME OUT, so pleased you joined us here and at ATCAS

Kathleen said...

Two fabulous Christmas cards, love the idea of over stamping on the first card and great layout and papers on the second card.

Kath x

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love the pretty sparkle of your texture! Thanks for joining in at ATCAS!

mamapez5 said...

A great pair of Rudolph Day cards, but I have to admit, it was the first card that caught my eye. What a fabulous colour combo, and some lovely textures. Kate x

Darnell J Knauss said...

You got it all done in the end, Kathy! I can why your mojo wanted to make that texture card: it is absolutely stunning!! And then you did a bang up job of Christmas, too! Thank you so much for joining the ATCAS challenge and enjoy the rest of the long weekend!! Hugs, Darnell

Brenda Brown said...

Love your non Christmassy card and the design. Thanks for staying in touch on my blog while I was away, we had a wonderful holiday.
hugs Brenda xxx

Lynn said...

Gorgeous cards and way to show off your versatile style. Love all your cards and so glad you could play with us at Festive Friday and Time Out!

Christine said...

Fabulous background, beautiful card

Gerrina said...

Love the orange and purple card! Great that you entered it at Time Out! Thank you for taking the Time Out and join us, Gerrina

Di said...

Three fabulous cards Kathy - oh I do so love the first one with the techniques you used. And of course your snippets' RD ones are lovely.

It threw it down ALL day here yesterday - typical Bank Holiday then.

Hugs, Di xx

LesleyG said...

love the smooshy splattery texture of the first, the way you overstamped the image on the second, and simplicity of the third. Great cards and inspiration xxx

KarenL said...

Lovely cards Kathy and both very you....lol.
Thanks for your comments on my blog too. :-)

xx

Ardyth Percy-Robb said...

Lovely cards! Love the traditional feel of the plaid and the font of your FF card - so glad you joined us, Kathy!

baileyrosy.com said...

Hi there Kathy and wow you have been busy, what a wonderful array of cards especially the first one with all of the gorgeous texture. Thanks so much for playing again with us at ATCAS always a pleasure to see you here.

Marie

Karen Petitt said...

All three are fabulous Kathy but I do absolutely love that first one - gorgeous distress colours plus sparkle medium = my idea of heaven! Karen x