Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Welcome to a What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday ....

Morning peeps,
 
How's your week going? I'm guessing that many of my U.K. readers and followers have had a lovely weekend and a couple of really nice days but ..... too good to last, this seems set to change for a day or so. At least the gardeners will be happy to see a little rain!
 
Anyway, having just returned from a fairly extended vacation I found myself craft starved and hardly knew where to start! Don't know about you but, if I ever feel stuck, I trawl some magazines and/or challenges and quickly find my mind buzzing with ideas.
 
Catherine had set a challenge over on the Craftbubble2½ group (registration required) Craft Mad and Loving It and her theme is "TRAVEL" .... I decided to think laterally and use the Stampers Anonymous "Time TRAVELLER" set - see what I did there? I also saw a technique in one of the two Craft Stamper issues that had arrived whilst I was away and off I jolly well went, mind you, I DID use a little poetic licence, otherwise it's just copying - right? Want to see how it turned out?
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 12½cm square white, 250 gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets (albeit good sized ones) of white card, black card and grey card
  • Metal tape (which I bought in ACE hardware in Florida)
  • Clock embossing folder
  • Black acrylic paint spread using a piece of paper towel
  • Alcohol inks in stream and plum, applied using a Tim Holtz blender but NO blending solution (to keep the colour stronger) .... the finish was a little "tacky" at this point .... so
  • Acrylic wax - to seal the tape/paint/ink layer
  • Perfect layers cutting templates, craft knife and Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue
  • White card on to which I stamped the Time Traveller (by Stampers Anonymous) image using Versafine onyx black and then masked off
  • Distress Ink in stormy sky and pumice stone simply pressed on to the white background to give colour
  • Kaisercraft "tiny dots" image stamped in Memento London fog and then the "grid" image stamped using Versafine smokey grey ink
 
As is my usual habit these days the image was stamped inside the card and again on the front and back of my envelope, to make it fully co-ordinating. I may well make a tag using the same image and colours should the card end up accompanying a gift ...... we'll see. Here's the inside and the envelope
 
 
 
 
And the original article? It came from the June 2014 issue .....
 
 
 
Since I used three stamps I'm going to be entering this for the "ANYTHING GOES" challenge over at Addicted To Stamps - wish me luck.

And here's how the work desk looked AFTER that little lot!
 
 
 
 
I had a birthday recently and can't conclude my post without thanking each and every person who took the time and trouble to make and/or mail me a card and to those who sent presents too then a double thank you. I am blessed to have so many creative friends - check out their work.

Look at all these GORGEOUS hand made cards

And a splendid haul of non hand made cards too
These arrived shortly after I took the photos above!! Isn't that always the way?

And here are my craft related gifties, thanks to Lauren, Denise, Louise and hubby

I had thought that I might go shoe shopping for my birthday but with phone calls, texts, e-mails and personal visitors I found I had no time - something to look forward to later in the week perhaps? I was taken to our lock (and fave) curry house to fill in the gap left by pretty much eight weeks without a curry! YUMMMMMM - bet no-one that knows me can guess where we went! And, huge surprise, another pal (who knew we'd be at the Indian) popped in and delivered a couple of cards and presents - what a lovely surprise!

Have a great Wednesday, I know I'll try to!

8 comments:

Debs M said...

Loving the background on that card Kathy! Great make and fabby cards and presents x

SARN said...

Goodness me - I'm not surprised you didn't have time to go out shopping - it would take all day to open all your pretty cards and pressies!

Hope you enjoyed a super curry and a few lagers!

Oh, and your metallic card looks FAB too. Great techniques.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Belated Happy Birthday Kathy - Love all the cards, and yours too.

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy. You sure were a lucky Lady with all the cards and presents
Hugs
lilian

Lauren Hatwell said...

WOW! LOVE your take on the Craft Stamper project Kathy. It's great!

What a haul of birthday cards and prezzies too! You lucky girl!

Lx

Clare Lloyd said...

Great card kathy. Hope you had a great day.

monikaskinner said...

Great card, Stunning Background for your Time Traveler, love it. Thanks for joining us this week at ATSM. Monika

Danielle Vincent said...

Really great card! The background is just stunning! Happy belated birthday to you and thanks so much for joining us at ATS&M this week.