Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Morning (just) and welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning all,
 
Late start for me today as I've not had the chance to craft much this week, for a couple of reasons. Monday I headed to Swindon on a shoe hunt - HUZZAH - not one pair but TWO!! Re-SULT! I've been looking since my return from vacation, during which my two fave pairs of shoes chucked their hand in! So much so that I left one pair residing in the bin on board - not even worth packing to bring home! Yesterday I decided, on reflection rather FOOLISHLY, to remove all of the ornaments from a unit in our lounge and dust/clean/polish them, before heading to the table of craftiness. Whilst they were down I washed the marbles that were inside of a vase, spent a whole blooming hour polishing a brass pig! and then I thought "why don't I get rid of some of this ephemera which gathers so much dust?" ..... well, it SEEMED like SUCH a good idea at the time. The afternoon got away from me and hubby was home before I had time to even THINK about clearing a path to my craft table - darn it!
 
Anyhoo, I fair leapt out of bed this morning and vowed to hit the table of craftiness .....  what is it they say .... the road to hell is paved with good intentions!!! And so it was ...... I couldn't find the right image (I just KNOW I bought some lovely flourishes by IndigoBlu at Birds in the Barn ...), then I couldn't find my new (round) Sir Timmy blending too (although I have since remembered the "safe" place I have it in!), my glittery gold pen has all but dried up and then .... to add insult to injury, once I had finished and photographed my project I ran gaily upstairs ......... only to find my husband was backing up our photos to a storage device and that this project was going to take an hour .... nothing for it but to sit on my hands and wait for it to finish - can't argue with technology you know!
 
So, here I am, typing the post and waiting for the back up to finish .... it's a little like knowing the washing programme has finished but having to wait for the door to unlock!! Grrr
 
As my regular readers will know, I trade ATC's with a buddy on the Isle of Skye and, to liven things up, we started to exchange materials as an added challenge. I recently sent a letter (and exchange ATC) to this buddy so I knew I'd have a couple of weeks before she would be sending back her take on my challenge and my next set of challenge materials but .... I had an idea for an ATC and thought it would lend itself to duplicating materials for Pam to have a go at. I was leafing through the latest issue of Craft Stamper and was quite taken with the idea of "bleach blocking", so, off I set .....
 
 
Here's the makings of the background panel

And the finished ATC, wonder what Pam's will look like!
  
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • White card snippets
  • Alcohol Markers to colour image
  • Distress Inks in: picked raspberry, festive berries, barn door, rusty hinge
  • Tim Holtz blending tool and foam pad, for blending colours and a clean pad for the "bleaching" * - see below
  • Images (all stamped using Memento tuxedo black): Deep Red (rabbit image), Craft Stamper free image (pocket watch and sentiment), The Rubbernecker (watch face with wings), Handprints (fob watch and chain)
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Color Box gold
  • I fussy cut out the white rabbit image and adhered to my finished project using Cosmic shimmer dries clear glue before drawing around the outline of the rabbit image using a Pitt pen (SX)
* BLEACH BLOCKING technique.
  • Blending colours of distress inks with a Tim Holtz blending tool.
  • Once done, replace blending pad with a clean pad.
  • Spritz water on to a craft mat and sop up with clean pad
  • Place now wet pad on to your distress inked panel, holding in place for a few seconds, remove and wipe the blending pad to remove any colour.
  • Repeat randomly over your distress inked panel and, once happy, set aside to dry before finishing your project



Hmm, perhaps not my BEST choice of project to try this technique on  OR my best choice of colours. Having finished playing I concluded it might work better with a greater range of light to dark colours AND perhaps a project I wasn't planning to cover up so much of!! At least, in the photo above, you can see the blocking despite the fact it hardly shows up in the finished ATC! Ah well, the benefits of hindsight!!!

Here are the duplicate materials as I shall send them to my Isle of Skye buddy - wonder whether her make will look ANYTHING like mine?!?!?!
 

 
And now, since it's Wednesday, here's a photo of my super messy (nothing new there then!) desk!
 
 
 
And those shoes .....



Have a fab day - hope the weather is better where you are - it's raining here and seems set to do so ... all blooming day!
 

5 comments:

SARN said...

Hmm, interesting technique - thanks for sharing. Shame you covered it all up!!!!!

Snazzy shoes mate! And one of them in purple too! Who knew?

Been raining and MEANT to rain all day - but currently dry - which means I may venture out in my lunch break!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

fabby make and love the shoes x

Lesley Thomas said...

I got here too early yesterday, so here I am today. My desk looks much like yours, but It'll have to stay like that a bit longer. Love the shoes!

Lilian said...

Like the ARC image Kathy. Great shoes.
Hugs
lilian

Darnell J Knauss said...

It's such fun to catch up with you and all your antics and projects, Kathy!! I love your enthusiasm! And your shoes!! Hugs, Darnell