Saturday, 21 June 2014

Welcome to an extraordinary Saturday

Morning all,

After a glorious week I was looking forward to a "fresher" night last night .... and some sleep - oh, for some air conditioning!! Well, it MIGHT have been easier to sleep .... had some of our neighbours not decided to have a "footie party" and keep us awake till the wee small hours with loud talking/shouting! And then, we were awakened at 07:15 this morning by a police car, siren blazing, making a mercy dash in front of our window!! A siesta MAY be required this afternoon!
It is my pleasure this week to be a Guest Design Team Member over at the Simply Less Is More blog. Not familiar? Well, it's a CAS (Clean And Simple) weekly challenge blog and, when I first stumbled across it in February of 2011, I knew this was a card making style I could definitely live with .... mind you, it's not as easy as it looks. I've had some triumphs, some really pretty cards and (sadly) some real howlers - mostly recycled! I see some of my fellow entrants and am AWED by their talent and, if you have a few moments, check out some of the previous challenge showCASes and you will quickly see what I mean. This challenge has gone from strength to strength and has obviously struck a chord with crafters as there are regularly well in excess of 100 entries so there's always lots to look at!
However, this week's challenge is: "WATERCOLOUR" and, when I first read what my challenge was going to be I found myself totally stumped for I am a rubber stamping card maker and am SO not an artist, unlike some of my fellow challenge-aholics! It was my duty not to let the team down and, after a couple of failed experiments I was delighted to receive the July issue of Craft Stamper and eyed the free stamp with a form of glee, I'm a big fan of all things art deco and art deco style ......... So, I ripped open the packet and then here's what happened.
Here it is after I set to work with my Distress Inks and paintbrush ..
Materials used (so far):
  • Watercolour paper
  • C.S. free stamp courtesy of Chocolate Baroque, stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Paintbrush and water
  • Distress Inks: mowed lawn, picked raspberry, seedless preserves, dusty concord
So, after letting my watercolours dry - I moved on to matting and layering and creating a background ......
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of Kraft, Aubergine and black card - cut using perfect layering template at 1/16th and a Fiskars finger knife
  • Having drawn a faint pencil mark where I wanted my finished image panel to sit I stamped the JOFY grid and Visible Image ink blot images twice using Memento rosebud ink, Another Visible Image ink blot image was stamped twice using Distress Ink in dusty concord and my favourite ink splatter image by Paper Artsy was stamped three times using Color Box gold ink
  • I struggled with the sentiment as I really wanted a Mackintosh-esque font but didn't want to add a layer by computer generating it ..... I finally decided on this cool Fiskars sentiment and stamped it at what I thought was a rather jaunty angle using Versafine onyx black ink
  • All that remained then was to add a few highlights of stardust stickles to the flowers, leaves and grid to the lower right hand side and then ..... step away from the card whilst there was still plenty of white space!!!
Have a great weekend and I hope to see your make appearing over at Simply Less Is More - this Saturday is going to be a bit unusual as my first make each Saturday is NORMALLY a CAS card for the LIM challenge but ..... I'm done there, so - onwards and upwards, what else is out there today?

I'll tell one thing that's "out there" too ..... today is my FOURTH blogversary!!! WOW! When I started blogging I never dreamed that I would still be blogging four years down the line, I never imagined anyone would be even remotely interested in my craft-y ramblings and now .... I have 197 followers too - I've even been lucky enough to meet a number of you in person and I feel like many more of you are friends not just blog buddies - thank you all, I hope to meet more of you sometime too. ...... Hmm, when I get to five years I shall have to offer some candy ..... and maybe when I reach 300 followers too.

36 comments:

Jan Ltc said...

Love this Kathy. Congrats on the GDT xx Jan

Anne said...

Kathy this is stunning! The stamp looks great but I LOVE the grid and splodges behind it, really works well
Lovely to have you join us this week
Anne

Di said...

Hi Kathy! Wow and double wow - what a fabby LIM card and well done on the GDT spot too. LOVE the stamp you used so beautifully, with your little signature bit of grunge - and the sentiment font is just so right for the CRM theme as well.

Well done on reaching four years blogging too! Have a lovely weekend.

Hugs, Di xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Congrats on your GDT post Kathy. Your card is a triumph. I confess I'd have struggled with the theme so I'm mighty impressed.

Congrats also on your 4th Blogoversary. You know what they say about time flying when you're having fun :oD

Hope you manage a power nap later. Sounds like you need it!?

We're off to the allotment to pick cherries before the birds snaffle them all - slurp!!!

Lx

Sue - said...

Congrats on your DT spot. Lovely card too - such a pretty stamp - but mine has yet to see ink.

Julie Beech said...

Congrats Kathy on your GDT, love your card, the stamp is gorgeous. :)

Clare Lloyd said...

Well done on your GDT spot. Beautiful card.

Sazzle Dazzle said...

This is gorgeous Kathy such great placement and stunning colours. I'm so thrilled you've joined us this week.
Sarah
Less is more

Debs M said...

Ooh love this Kathy - stonking card for you gdt slot - well done on the watercolour too! Oh and happy blogaversary x

nicky said...

Super card Kathy and well done on the GDT x

nicky said...

Super card Kathy and well done on the GDT x

Zoe Sanderson said...

Congratulations all round beautiful example card gorgeous colours and the background brilliant. XOXO Zoe

Valerie Nolan said...

Many congrats on your gdt spot, well deserved Kathy:) Love your RM card and I'm so in awe of your grunge back drop!
Val x

Lesley Thomas said...

Great card Kathy - you would never know you aren't an artist, LOL.

Craftilicious said...

Congrats on the GDT spot Kathy - your comments always make me smile.
Love your watercolour panel.
Tara

scrappyjacky said...

That really is so pretty,Kathy.

Linby said...

Congrats on being a LIM GDT. lovely card, I love CRM and you've made a fab card with the stamp, especially the background details.
Linby x

Elizabeth said...

What a gorgeous card in such beautiful colors!!

tiya-b.com said...

your card is a beauty, congrats too!

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful watercolouring Kathy, lovely colours and I love the way you have used it on the vcard. Happy blogoversary xxx

Gerrina said...

So good to see you as a Guest Designer at LIM this week! Congrats for that and a good choice to ask you!
Your inspirationcard is a real beauty! I love the way you combined a little grunge-style with the macentosch one!
Hope you'll enjoy seeing so much watercolourcards... and have a happy weekend! Hugs, Gerrina

Erica said...

Hi Kathy,
I love how you have put the sentiment on a slant. It works perfectly this way. Fun challenge this week...OK, every week..well almost. :D

Ann Tuck said...

Congratulations Kathy, on being guest designer on LIM this week! Your card is so neat! Love the colours, the jaunty sentiment and the colour splats - a great inspiration for the watercolour challenge! :)

Gay Peplow said...

Beautiful card Kathy, congratulations on being a Guest designer at LIM well done you :D xx

Louise Wright said...

incredible card Kathy x

Alexeya said...

Gorgeous card Kathy. A step into lots more watercolours? Congrats on the GDT spot :-)

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card kathy :-) I love the art deco stamp design and the colours and background are fabulous too ! I have just bought the JOFY stamp and need to ink that up now !! thanks for the inspiration :-)

luv
Lols x x x

SARN said...

Hi Kathy . . . what a terrific Art Deco/Grunge/Watercolour card you have here. Great mix and perfect little card.

Love how you used the free cover stamp.

Congrats on your GDT member spot, and also on your 4th Blogiversary!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Darnell J Knauss said...

Congratulations on the Guest Design spot at LIM, Kathy! Your card, made from the fortuitous arrival of the magazine freebie, is terrific! What a cool mixture of art deco and modern-day grungilious splattering!! And lovely watercoloring for a nonartist! Pshaw! You are indeed an artist to me!!

Happy Fourth Blogaversary to you, too!! I venture to say you are having more fun than you ever dreamed, too! I'm happy to have found you! Hugs, Darnell

Vicky Hayes said...

Congratulations on your GDT spot and on your blogaversary too! I love your art deco-style card - beautifully coloured! Vicky x

Rema said...

Gorgeous card!

├ůsa said...

Great card, I love the colors!

Joanne James said...

Lovely card Kathy - I particularly like the 'grunge' background, a great use of pattern to add dimension and make your watercoloured square really stand out.

My name is Wynneth said...

Stunning card Kathy, I just love everything about it. I haven't even inked up my freebie yet !

HUGE congrats on your GDT slot and an even HUGER congrats on your Blogaversary Matey. I never doubted that you would attract a lot of interest in both your posts and all your amazing creations. I really must get back to entering the LIM challenges - well in fact ANY challenges as it's been such a long while since I entered any. Thanks so much for such amazing inspiration.

luv
wynneth
x

Chrissie said...

We are completely delighted to have you as our GD this week Kathy. You have been an integral part of LIM for so long and I appreciate your participation in such a pro-active way. You are so generous with your time commenting on fellow entrants cards...it doesn't go unnoticed!
Thank you for this beautiful example!
Hugs
Chrissie x

Viv said...

This is gorgeous Kathy, love the art deco look to it too. Well done again :) Viv xx