Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Welcome to JULY! Where IS the year going?

Morning folks,
 
I recently joined a new crafting forum, for the terminally CAS (Clean And Simple!) - it's called Happy Little Stampers and that's because, mostly, we are!!!! We've not got that many members right now so if you fancy popping along then we'd all be glad to see you join us. If you join then do tell them I sent you (the Purple Princess).
 
Anyway, why am I telling you this? That would be because a new monthly sketch challenge was launched today ( July 1st ) and you have to belong in order to enter so .... without further ado here is my make and my sketch, yes, that's right - I was lucky enough to get to submit the design for the first sketch challenge .... I went with monochrome - after all, who doesn't love monochrome?
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square white card panel and black card cut to 1/16" using my perfect layering ruler and a craft knife
  • Martha Stewart punch to cut the floral border in black card
  • 10cm square scalloped square die cut from black card
  • 7½cm square white card run through a darice embossing folder
  • 6½cm scallop edged circle die cut from black card
  • 5cm circle die cut from white card
  • Clearly Inspired "cone flower" image stamped on to white circle using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Stardust stickles used to highlight the cone flower and the flower heads on the embossed panel
 
The inside and the envelope - in addition to the floral image I also used a woodware sentiment, recently acquired (as was the embossing folder) during my trip to Blackpool - nice font eh? I think it all co-ordinates rather well and I'm pleased with the finish though it started out QUITE differently as I had planned a grey layer but decided that just black and white rocked it best!
 
 
 
 
And the original sketch - it sort of lends itself to being as CAS or ornate as you fancy ......
 
 
 As if to prove that this sketch can be CAS or fussy .... here's a much more elaborate make ...




Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square of pink polka dot paper matted (at 1/16", with the aid of my trusty perfect layering ruler) with a piece of Costco paper (300 of the little pieces of fabulousness for less than £25!)
  • 10½cm square of black card matted with another section of the pink Costco papers - they're a generous 12" x 12" size so plenty to go round!
  • Large scalloped circle and large plain circle die cut using - yes, you guessed it, Costco pink papers
  • Martha Stewart border punch and yet more of those papers - been using them for about three years and the stack hardly seems to diminish!!!
  • Circle die cut from white card and coloured using Distress Ink in spun sugar before stamping with: Kaisercraft "tiny dots" in shaded lilac, Woodware sentiment using Versafine onyx black ink and the Paper Artsy "splatter" in Versacolour gold
  • Sparkle 'n Sprinkle (I think - honestly, I've had it so long I don't really remember - it's just an odd little piece of grey rubber!) couple stamped on to a snippet of white card, coloured with alcohol markers and then fussy cut out and positioned over my circles
  • Four faux crystal gemstones to finish

And the inside of the card plus the envelope:-


 

As there are three large circles and LOTS of tiny circles in the punch ... let's not forget the circular gemstones ... I'm going to enter this over at Cute Card Thursday's "Circles" challenge too!!! Woo Hoo. I think you will agree that they both follow the sketch but that the second one is CONSIDERABLY less CAS than the first .... but which do you prefer?!?

 
Happy Tuesday

5 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Both awesome cards hun, I love the cone flower (so elegant). Thanks for the tip, am now off to check out HLS. Hugs xx

Lesley Thomas said...

Good morning Kathy, I like both versions! I'll pop over and visit your new group, but not sure I could keep up the CAS as you do - I have too many lovely dies.

SARN said...

Yep . . . I'm with Squirrel . . . BOTH awesome. Although my FAVE is the first one . . . cuz I am TOTALLY in love with that cone flower as you know!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Viv's Visuals said...

Two lovely cards - love the cone flower especially! Off to check out the new blog - x

MaryH said...

Both cards are wonderfully pretty. I really liked the way you did the lacey border behind the focal image, and I certainly am loving that thistle image - lots. Very striking in the monochromatic colors. The dressed up sketch in #2 was equally stunning. Will have to check out this new forum, so TFS the link. Hugs