Wednesday, 16 July 2014

What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning peeps,

I'm off out to meet another pal for coffee this morning, the being retired lark's all go sometimes! We have a lovely coffee shop in the village and that's where we're going - nearly half the price of these upmarket coffee shops too which ticks boxes for me - leaves more money for craft stash!! IYKWIM!
 
Well, it's a bit like Christmas in July  at the Purple Palace..... I HAVE been crafting though and have been making a few Christmas cards but, I'm very sorry that I can't really share them all with you right now, so you will just have to wait till I can! However, here is something I can share with you .... I was watching Barbara Grey's YouTube Tuesday video and, in it, she outlined a technique to use with the gelli plate. Now, I don't have one of these but set to thinking that I could use this for a background so ........

Materials used:
  • Snippet of white card (think it was about a half of an A4 sheet)
  • Low tack tape to fasten it to my splodgeaway mat and then my stencil to my card
  • TCW stencil
  • Distress Inks: stormy sky, worn lipstick and mustard seed
  • Paintbrush (to apply D.I.'s in a backwards and forwards motion - didn't work so abandoned this in favour of my trusty Sir Timmy blending tool, secure in the knowledge that this wasn't going to achieve the subtle results of the gelli plate!!!)
  • Tim Holtz blending tool and three foam pads - one for each colour

After applying each colour I cleaned the stencil and then rotated it one quarter turn before taping back down and, this is how it turned out ... as I said, by this time, I was NOT expecting a subtle result but I still think it makes for an interesting background - how about you?


 
 
Now, what can I make it in to?



Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square panel of yellow card for matting, the snippet left got used for matting my image panel and for paper piecing the hat and shirt of my image
  • Snippet of blue and Kraft card for layering and paper piecing
  • Snippet of white card on to which I stamped my Creative Beginnings image using Memento tuxedo black ink, which I then also stamped again on to both the yellow and blue snippets
  • Alcohol inks to colour the parts of the image not paper pieced
  • PaperMania alphabet -  "Z", "A" and "C" stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • I then used spray and shine to seal the whole card so the D.I.'s don't run if it's raining during delivery of the card!!

As usual, I carried the yellow layer and the image across to the inside of the card and the image to the envelope.

And now for this week's mayhem that is my crafting area .... due to the messiness of the Me Time Messages workshop I find that I have commandeered another section of the house, much to hubby's disgust - so, I'm going to share a view of that and, yes, it's messy too!
 

 

Have a fab Wednesday


6 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Well it makes a great background and I'm sure Zac will love his funky card. Thanks for sharing Kathy. Have a great day. Lx

SARN said...

Brilliant background and fun kid's image.

Sayin' nuffin about your EXTRA desk of messiness (except to commiserate with the Hubster).

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Pretty and colourful card Kathy, really cheerful, especially with that stamp!

Darnell J Knauss said...

Seriously, Kathy, just look at what you pulled out of your sleeve to make this spectacular background!! And the resulting card filled with FUN! Shirley, your hubs must recognize that you are enormously talented and, as such, that talent can NOT be bottled up!! You MUST be allowed to roam free and spread your art throughout the house as needs must!!

And you can tell him I said so. According to a recent survey in Tome, men have larger egos than woman and, thus, they take up more head space in the world. To balance things out, woman are therefore entitled to ownership of 94% of the marital estate, spread-out-wise.

It's really quite simple and quite fair. How can you argue with that logic?!

Happy WOYWW! Have a wonderful week and thank you for the visit to my Playhouse! Hugs, Darnell #18

Debs M said...

great background and fabby card x

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy, The back ground is lovely, Love the colours.

Hugs
lilian