Sunday, 10 August 2014

Sunday FUNday!

Morning readers
 
Hoping the dregs of Hurricane Bertha aren't giving you too much trouble and that, if you were in it's path before it downgraded to a tropical storm, you weren't too badly affected either. We're told the weather today is likely to be pretty VILE across much of the south of the U.K. so I really hope you have your hatches firmly battened!! Take care if you have to go out in it. It's certainly starting to look wet and windy here already - unfortunately - and this meant the cancellation of both last night's and this morning's mass ascents at the Balloon Fiesta which is such a shame for those attending.
 
I have a crafting pal heading my way this morning and I'm hoping (as she's driving south to reach me) that she gets here before it gets too bad and that it will have passed before she needs to leave for home again. We're planning a day of mixed media crafting with a dictionary to alter. No doubt she will be able to help me out with the brusho techniques too - being a more accomplished artist than I am.
 
I decided to give it a go yesterday with regular 200gsm paper ..... but thought I would start pretty small - ATC sized, in fact!
 
 
My ATC

Close up which shows the dispersal of the brusho and a touch of the glimmer from the mica too
 
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of card that was an offcut from 2 x 13½cm squares cut from an A4 of Rymans 200gsm card! perfect ATC size!, with minimal trimming too
  • I mixed brusho ultramarine with a little interference blue mica paint and a little water then, using a broad brush "swathed" the colour across my snippet of card and let it dry
  • Spritzing water and then flicking just a tiny amount of the ultramarine brusho again
  • A squirt of the perfect pearls mist in sunshine yellow and let it dry thoroughly
  • Sunday International coneflower and the Woodware sentiment both stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
 
I LIKE it but I definitely feel that you could over work the Ryman's card if you let it get too wet ... and then the surface might start to break down. I tried not to drench this card too much. I worked on a snippet larger (width wise) than my ATC so I could cherry pick the best section for my ATC background. With apologies to Sarn who, I KNOW, loves coneflowers and I also know she probably doesn't have this one either!

Given that I used snippets  of card to make this ATC I am planning to enter this for Di's snippets challenge over at Pixiescraftyworkshop

I was having an electronic conversation with Sarn yesterday afternoon (she has the same set of brusho's as I do and is a couple of days ahead of me with the experimentation phase) and we were bouncing ideas off of one another in (almost) real time which was fascinating and thank you for your time, Sarn. One of the ideas I had was to use a baby wipe - many people who've crafted with me know I'm very keen on baby wipes and often use them to apply paint, gesso and the like. Needless to say, I dashed off and grabbed a gash piece of Ryman's 200 gsm card .... I swiped the baby wipe (I'm coming to the end of the pack so the wipe was wetter than from a newly opened pack) and sprinkled leaf green brusho. Disappointingly it just lay there looking all powdery and taunting me but, never one to surrender, I sallied forth with the same baby wipe over the powder and "what happened?" I hear you cry - bearing in mind this was just a teensy amount sprinkled and I wasn't really expecting much ....

 
 
Of course, you could argue, that I didn't GET much either but .... it took about a second to do and gives a lovely multi coloured background, hard to imagine all those shades go in to making one colour isn't it? I can see that being deployed as a technique for laying down a background colour in no seconds flat - in fact .....



Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gs, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Brusho leaf green dry water colour paint sprinkled lightly down the left hand side of my card and wiped with an alcohol free baby wipe, to activate, before leaving to dry off.
  • Perfect Pearls sunshine yellow mica spray - spritzed once - to give a glamorous shimmer to my finished project
  • Sunday International coneflower image stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Hero Arts foliage stamped down the side of my card using Memento bamboo ink
  • Imagine That sentiment stamped using Memento bamboo ink
  • Spray and Shine to seal my design which was also carried across the inside of the card and to the front and back of the envelope too
 
This card will be my second entry over at Simply Less Is More where the One Layer Card challenge is: "Foliage" this week 
 
Have a great Sunday - try to stay dry! Me? I'll be indoors and getting inky with my pal, Cherry!
 

22 comments:

Louise Wright said...

That looks like an awesome technique. What are brushos?? I think I am totally behind times...
it has just this minute started raining here. Wonder if it clears up later in the day or not??

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

They are beautiful, love the colours you used and the hint of glitter, oh, I need to get messy hands.

Hope the bad weather won't mess around to much. Have a nice crafty day!

Warm hugs
Maarit

Aquarius said...

I'm just going to have to investigate these Brusho powders!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how these turned out - both lovely but I like how you turned that small experiment into a super CAS card using the flower stamp

SARN said...

Morning Kathy

Was fun bouncing ideas off each other yesterday wasn't it?!

Ok, ok, so I have Cone Flower envy AGAIN! How many other Cone Flower stamps do you have?

Gorgeous, gorgeous ATC and Get Well Card.

Wishing you mega fun with your friend today. Can't wait to see the results.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Chris said...

Wow! This card caught my eye, Kathy! What a fabulous background!
The rain is coming down in buckets here!
Chris
x

Sid said...

Loving the abstract effect you have designed on this lovely card Kathy !

Irene said...

Hello Kathy

Wow, two beautiful cards - they are amazing with such vibrant colours.

luv
irene
xxxx

scrappyjacky said...

Love how that first one has turned out.
It's pretty wet and windy here.

Chrissie said...

Looks like you've been having fun today Kathy. Great swooshy look to these!
Thanks again
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Margaret said...

More lovely cards Kathy. Hope you had a good 'crafty' day
Margaret x

Kathleen said...

Just love the moody blue card.

Kath x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! And you've only just started! I can hardly wait to see what else you come up with. Love the green swipe with the gorgeous coneflowers on.

Hope Cherry made it before the rain :oD

Lx

Debs M said...

wow great makes Kathy - hope you had a fabulous day x

scrappymo! said...

I am just starting out on my inky journeys so really enjoyed your ATC and your card.

Some of the supplies I have not heard of but have jotted the names down!

The ATC is great...love the SMILE...the font is wonderful.

The inky card has such lovely depth of colour!

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Great cards Kathy
Love the second one with that catchy panel and slick of paint is so effective.
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Christine said...

Wonderfully done!

Di said...

Brilliant ATC and card Kathy! Those Brushos are such fun and every time is a surprise result - bit like my baking efforts!

Sorry it took me a while to call and comment!

Hugs, Di xx

Elizabeth said...

Wow! These are fabulous - just love what you've obtained with the Brusho ... I've already told Sarn that she is leading me down the path of poverty tempting me with this stuff :) The effect of the baby wipe is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Elizabeth xx

Lilian said...

Great card and ATC Kathy. Lilian

Sue - said...

I do like the pretty blue background on the ATC! I am resisting brushes - well at least for now!

Sue - said...

"Brushos" not brushes!

Anne said...

Sorry to be so late commenting, what a fab foliage card Kathy!
Thanks so much for joining us at Less is More
Anne
LIM Designer