Friday, 8 August 2014

Welcome to another Friday and, of course, the Friday Funny

Morning readers,

Blimey did I have trouble when I started composing this post, or what?!?!?! I ASSUME that blogger was having an epi on Wednesday afternoon because, if IT wasn't ..... then it had to be me!!! I kept getting all manner of strange error messages - to the point where I gave up and walked away for an hour!

Wednesday evening saw us heading to "the surrogates" for dinner, postponed whilst youngest surrogate (Zac) got over his chicken pox which he seems to have now, thank goodness! It was originally going to be a BBQ but the weather's been uncertain the last day or so and surrogate S-I-L opted for a roast dinner instead - YUM-me! Interestingly enough we were able to enjoy live music at the beginning of the evening too as a local company were having what looked like a summer BBQ and had booked a live band to entertain - and we reaped the benefits from a distance too! In case you're wondering, it stopped before 20:00, before anyone had cause to complain!!!

On to the craft-y part now, it's a bit of a marathon (UNDERSTATEMENT - you HAVE been warned) so you might want to grab your coffee before you settle down to read on ....

The ABC of Christmas peeps have launched their new challenge, with a theme of: "PENGUINS" and, over at Freshly Made Sketches, they've a sketch ... hardly surprising given the title of the blog! Well here's my take on combining the two challenges - whaddya reckon? Is this or is this not an ADORABLE penguin image???



My super twinkly card
Is it just me that has trouble getting glue to stick layers of glitter card together?


And here is the envelope and also the inside of the card

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square gold glitter card
  • Kanban Merry Christmas red/black card - from an OLD QVC Christmas kit which I've FINALLY decided to use!!
  • Snippets of blue, black and white card for image panel and matting
  • Perfect layers matting ruler (1/16") and craft knife
  • Cosmic Shimmer dries clear acrylic glue
  • Sparkle 'n Sprinkle Penguin image stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Alcohol markers to colour image
  • Stardust stickles to highlight
  • Faux crystal gemstones as an accent

And here is the sketch from those peeps at Freshly Made Sketches, which I used - pretty cool, huh?! I wasn't sure when I first looked but it sure grew on me and who knows? I MIGHT even make another entry!

 
 
Been seeing a lot in blogland about BRUSHO paints and some staggering results so ..... I trawled!  Thanks to Sarn and her brusho experiments/recommendations .... I located, I purchased, I waited and I was rewarded (just four days later) with this delivery from Oyster Stamps just yesterday morning ...

Each of these little pots of gorgeousness should  make up to 568ml of watercolour

Couldn't wait to play so .... first decision of the day was ... to pierce or not to pierce? I went with not piercing the paint pots (as per a number of the videos - like a salt shaker!!) and removed the entire top fully intending to shake "GENTLY" which, apparently, is not as easy as you might think. Think I'll be deploying my pokey tool on the lids before my second attempt. Want to see my first amateur attempts?

You can see where "gently" didn't quite work as well as I might have hoped - on the example to the right
I ended up with some clumps of undissolved powder. I made the one to the left rather too wet too ...
and then used about a mile of paper towel which soaked up quite a bit of the colour - oh well, it's early days!

You should also be aware that it WILL stain your hands!
 
After an afternoon out with a pal I nipped back (refreshed and ready to roll) deployed my pokey tool and ran up this - a much more satisfactory result using just the scarlet brusho and a sunshine yellow perfect pearls spray mist - lovely golden sheen to this IRL (in real life) - which later proved pretty tricky to photograph - DOH!
 
 


I also recommend that you have kitchen roll to hand!, otherwise you COULD end up with drips in places you don't want drips - or you could use a manila tag - that might work pretty well too. And here is how my brusho panel ended up ....

Looks a little orangey but it's the light  and reflection - the panel above is a truer reflection of the colour

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Watercolour paper, scarlet brusho paint, sunshine yellow perfect pearls mist, water spray, paper towel
  • Black card and red card, for matting
  • 1/16" perfect layering template and craft knife
  • Penny Black brushstroke image stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Imagine That sentiment stamped directly on to my card blank using Versafine onyx black ink

Check out Hermine's blog to see a splendid example of Less really IS more with a very close equivalent of brusho's too.

CASology's current challenge is "STRIPE" and I have a set of stamps that had yet to see ink so this seemed simply PERFECT - hope you will agree ....



Materials used:
  • C6 Kraft card blank, 300 gsm, and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of white card (x2) and black card
  • Kaisercraft numeral/symbol image stamped using Versafine majestic blue
  • Kaisercraft bar code image (stripe) stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • CAS-ual Friday birthday sentiment stamped using the Versafine majestic blue ink
  • Larger snippet of white card coloured by simply placing the Versafine blue ink pad down around the outer edge to give a rougher finish to the colour and, hopefully, more masculine!

And here's a challenge I might like to have a go at today, if I get time ...... over at CAS Colours and Sketches they have a red white and blue theme right now ...



It's also week five of summer school, with Clare's Me Time Messages mixed media project .... see it here, so, busy time craft wise - don't be surprised if you see a second post from me today or another photo heavy post tomorrow.

It's the weekend of the Balloon Fiesta and we've had some lovely weather .... but not this morning - mass ascent went up at around 7 this morning - not that we'd have seen them if they had come this way - look at it out there!


You SHOULD be able to see houses!

And this weeks pictorial Friday Funny comes courtesy of Marsha - ENJOY ... wishing we had one of these near me, how much fun I would have if we did!!
 
 
 
 
On a last note ...... Today it's hubby's and my wedding anniversary - we've been together for yonks now I guess it's the perfect opportunity to tell him how much I love him - mwah, mwah!

And thank you so much to Darnell, who's e-mail was waiting in my in box this morning and to all those peeps who've taken the time to send us a card - much appreciated - thank you

Have a fabulous Friday peeps

15 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Phew, epic post hun! Happy Anniversary to you. Looks like you have been having fun with the paints. Love the bar code card, that is very clever. Hugs xx

Di said...

First of all - Happy Anniversary!

Lovely work here Kathy, tee, hee - I have fingers just like yours and that was just from poking holes in the pots earlier, sigh.

The bestest glue I've found for sparkly glitter card is Collall All Purpose Glue.

I'm with you on the slide that's one cool way to descend a flight of steps!

Hugs, Di xx

herminesplace said...

Wow totally awesome. Now I HAVE to HAVE IT for sure!!!

scrappyjacky said...

Those paints give some great results.

Sue - said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm resisting Brushes - for now anyway!

Sue - said...

That should be Brushos not brushes (lol)

Lesley Thomas said...

Happy Anniversary Kathy and Mr. Kathy!

I used brusho when doing City and Guilds, and I have a whole set (well it was at the time) but never considered digging the pots out for card making, because I'd forgotten all about them. I thought your efforts were fantastic backgrounds, so well done.

SARN said...

Yeah . . .sorry I forgot to warn you about the Brusho stains!

LOVING the results you got . . . even the ones you weren't so keen on!

Hope the weather improves for the Balloon event.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Melissa said...

My, you've been creatively busy!!! Loving all your cards!
A bar code makes perfect sense for the STRIPE challenge! What a creative take on the cue word!!! :) I hope your fingers are back to normal now...

Thank you so much for joining us over at CASology this week!

Kim S said...

That penguin is so sweet on his fancy, sparkly background and perfect for Freshly Made Sketches - thanks for joining us!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Clever!!! Thansk for showing these techniques!! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!!

Karren said...

Love the watercolor panels! And your penguin card is gorgeous. That penguin is too adorable! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Karren said...

Love the watercolor panels! And your penguin card is gorgeous. That penguin is too adorable! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Rita Wright said...

I love all the shimmer and sparkle. You just can't go wrong with a cute penguin. :) Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Helen said...

Fabulous cards - love your cute & sparkly penguin!
Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x