Sunday, 7 September 2014

Lazy Sunday morning

Morning readers,
 
How's your Sunday morning shaping up? Here's hoping that the sun is shining wherever you are ... unless, of course, it's dark!!!
 
Anyhoo, regular readers are going to recall how I swap ATC materials with a pal on the Isle of Skye and yesterday saw me taking delivery of the latest batch - want to see what I received?
 
 
That IS correct, you can see two stamped images and a skeleton leaf
 
Read to the end of this  post if you want to see what I made with the above materials ... in the meantime, perhaps you would care to think on how you would tackle these materials and see how close you came once you see my make
 
Last evening saw my planned trip to Cheltenham, with a pal, to meet up with my cousin for dinner fall at the first hurdle when my poor cousin was taken ill earlier in the week. Naturally, she HAD been hoping to be well enough to make last night. We try meet up every couple of months which is about as often as our diaries and commitments allow! My cousin lives in the midlands so we try to pick somewhere easy to reach for us heading north and for her heading south hence our original plan to meet in Cheltenham. We none of us know Cheltenham very well though I did used to travel there for work every two weeks .... but that was over 20 years ago (how time flies). We had even picked somewhere located on a main road in from the motorway .... the Brewery complex and, it transpires, to be less than 1/4 mile from one of the ports of call I used to make whilst I was repping (those 20+ years ago!). However, once my cousin was no longer able to make it my pal and I had a quick chat and decided we would include the husbands and go out to dinner far more locally instead! re-SULT! Given the short notice and the fact it was a Saturday the first couple of places tried were booked but .... we found ourselves here. Of course, what we DIDN'T know what that it was the day of the local fete and the pub/restaurant was putting on a bit of a "DO" .... we were very distracted by a couple of local lads "mooning" us as we approached and we did initially debate the wisdom of our choice. That said, we did have a very pleasant evening and a very tasty meal so, taken all round, a good choice. Just got to hope that my cousin is feeling a little better by this morning - feel better soon, Deb.
 
I entered the Simply Less Is More colour challenge yesterday .... their choice of colours, mint and chocolate, were colours I wouldn't normally use - let alone put together ..... I made my grungey card but thought I might have another go and, whilst I was at it, thought I might make an ATC to accompany it. Maybe it would make me re-think the colour combination - here's how my efforts turned out. I think the card will be a second entry for the LIM challenge ....
 
My card
 
And the inside and the envelope ...
 
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½ cm and 14.2cm square panels of white card (x 2 including insert)
  • I coloured a border on the larger panels using a cocoa pro marker
  • Using Brilliance inks in the closest to mint and chocolate I stamped images by Visible Image - the Brilliance inks dry to a beautiful pearlescent sheen
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Memento rich cocoa ink

I'm also going to be entering it over at Stamping Sensations where their current challenge is "THINGS WITH WINGS" - wish me luck!

And now for the ATC:-




Materials used
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of white card (for my image panel) coloured using Distress Ink in evergreen bough and set aside to dry
  • Snippets of card in rust and chocolate
  • Using Brilliance coffee bean ink I stamped the large bird (by Visible Image) and the small birds and sentiment (by Tim Holtz Artistry)
  • A quick squirt of Spray and Shine to seal
 
In fairness, still not a big fan of mint and chocolate ...... but there it is, good job we're not all the same - what a dull world it would be!

And now, back to those pesky materials ......
 
I recently watched a Barbara Grey video in which she used the skeleton leaf as a stencil and that's what I wanted to do with mine. Since I've used snippets I shall be entering this in to Di's weekly "Snippets" challenge over at Pixies Crafty Workshop
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of white card cut to more or less ATC size
  • Snippet of card stamped with two pine cones (from my trading card swap materials)
  • Alcohol markers to colour the stamped image
  • Skeleton leaf (from my trading card swap materials)
  • Low tack tape to hold the leaf in place
  • Color Box stylus with foam blending head
  • Distress Inks in evergreen bough (still out from my CAS make yesterday morning - I'm plainly slipping back in to my old, lazy ways!) and iced spruce, sponged through my "stencil" - the colour difference IS more obvious in real life - honest!
  • Dylusions border image stamped using the evergreen bough ink, which I also use to edge the ATC
  • Dimensional foam pads and regular dries clear cosmic shimmer glue, to attach the two pine cones and add dimension
  • Stardust stickles to add a little highlight detail to the pine cones and to the border
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Spray and Shine given a quick protective spritz - to seal it ready for posting back to my ATC swap buddy
 
Hope you all approve of the treatment I gave those ATC materials from my trading card buddy. Of course it IS following the mint/choc vibe but is definitely NOT CAS so won't be another entry over at Simply Less Is More!!! I was however, trying to get my head around the colour concept!!

Meanwhile, over at Addicted to CAS their current challenge is ORIENTAL .... so

The card

And the co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scalloped card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square of white card (x2 inclusing the insert)
  • Yellow card for layering
  • Unknown Oriental image (there is NOTHING on the wooden image - though I SUSPECT it may be All Night Media) stamped using Memento tuxedo black on to a snippet of card
  • Alcohol markers to colour
  • Go Kreate oval die
  • Hobby Art bamboo image stamped using Memento bamboo ink
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink


Happy Sunday
 

17 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous CAS card and love the images and decorated envelope-brilliant ATC love the use of skeleton leaf as a stencil and great sentiment
Carol x

Clare Lloyd said...

Well done on your ATC your really did well with the materials you had. Fab mint/choc makes.

Lesley Thomas said...

Love your pine cones and skeleton card Kathy. Most appropriate since I'm watching Barbara on TV as I'm typing this.

SARN said...

Everytime you use the Skye materials, I am ALWAYS amazed at your creativity with what has me completely stumped!

I tell you, you are a GENIUS Woman xxxx

sandie said...

Wow Kathy what a fabulous collection of cards. I so love your LIM card, grunge with style! And your oriental image is spot on for our challenge and so perfectly CAS. Thanks for joining us at ATCAS

Bea said...

What a gorgeous selection - they are all lovely and I am amazed at how many you have created on a Sunday - I am like a snail compared. good luck with all your challenges

Debs M said...

great makes - well done with the atc swap materials x

Hettie said...

Lovely cards there and great make on the ATC too. Not sure what I would have come up with!
Hugs
xx

brenda said...

A post jam packed with inspirational pieces of artwork Kathy.

Thanks for sharing your creativity with us at Stamping Sensations.

B x

Di said...

Oh how clever Kathy! Great use of the skeleton leaf and pine cones - lovely result!

Hugs, Di xx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

What a busy bee ... a brilliant array of cards and I lurve that feather(s) on the LIM card. Great use of the colours and super elegant.
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

pinky said...

Wow you have been busy Kathy, stunning work!! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Pinky

Brenda said...

All your cards are just gorgeous! I love the chocolate and mint colors together, but you don't. lol It is a good thing we are all different because if we were the world would certainly be a dull place indeed. I absolutely love how you used to 2 pine cones and the skeleton leave-so breathtaking beautiful! Hugs, Brenda

Eret said...

So many beautiful projects. You are very creative person. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful chocolate and mint colored card with us at Stamping Sensation. I hope you join with us again.
Eret x

Chrissie said...

Cool cards Kathy, you really have been busy!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Anne said...

Whew you've been busy Kathy! I was also inspired by the skeleton leaf idea on Barbara Grey's blog.
Super second entry for LIM, thanks so much
Anne
LIM Designer

scrappymo! said...

Some great makes here!
I love wehat you did with the skeleton leaf and the cones on your tag...it looks great. The oriental card is very pretty!