Sunday, 21 September 2014

Lazy Sunday

Morning everyone,

Yesterday was a funny old day which started off with no water!! yes, NO WATER!!!! It had been off when we'd gone to bed but who'd a thunk it would still have been off when we got up! Still, it DID come back - we were able to shower before heading out - something the person we were visiting was no doubt glad about!!!! Delivered a brand spanky new printer to a friend and my dear hubby installed it and all the appropriate drivers etc - our friend was DELIGHTED and my hubby came away from there with numerous goodies which clearly showed her appreciation! Thanks matey ... some of it was the sharing kind (wine!) too so I may even get to benefit from her gratitude.

When we got home the water was running clear, darn it - so there was no postponing the usual weekend chore of laundry etc!

However, I did get to trawl t'internet a smidge and a couple of challenges took my eye .... Craftyhazelnut's weekly challenge (and challenge extra) this week may indeed prove to be a challenge to many people .... sort of lends itself to CAS though! What IS it? It's "to make a Christmas card in 20 minutes or less" with the added rider that this excludes the time taken to assemble materials ... and Addicted to CAS has the challenge to produce a CAS card which is "CUDDLY". I can never resist these kind of challenges so ... camera in hand I snapped the clock as I readied my materials and started my creative engine! Here's what happened over the following twenty minutes!
 

And here is my cuddly CAS Christmas card in less than 20 minutes ..... see below
 
OK, so this is the clock as I started

Materials assembled though not all cut ...

Look - time to spare, maybe I've time to do the envelope

Yep!!! and you can see that the clock is reading 3:35 - BINGO I made it!
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square of white card (x 2 including insert) + snippet for image
  • Blue holographic card for matting
  • Panel of "faux mother of pearl" card from a recent experiment (if you missed it then .. see it here), matted on to a snippet of holographic blue card
  • Go Kreate oval die used to cut a white oval from a snippet - slightly larger than my cuddly snowman (OK so ..... who's NEVER snuggled up to a snowman???) and my Inkadinkado snowman stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped on to a white snippet using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Stardust stickles used to highlight and Gold Pro Marker to colour his nose
  • Silver Spray and Sparkle spritzed over the front of my card to give added twinkle (like it needed it!!!)

And, as if to prove the point ... here's a close up to show the super twinkle!!!

And there you have it, in under 20 minutes, a CAS Christmas card using a cuddly image! I'll also be entering this at the "Anything Goes" challenge over at Avenue 613 .... AND I get to enter it for Di's "Snippets challenge" over at Pixie's Crafty Workshop - reSULT!!!
 
 
And, further to my experiment with shaving foam and alcohol inks .... I sort of wondered whether the current craze for brusho's could be deployed.
 
This time I decided to use cling film as my non stick base ... thinking I could then simply wad it up (excess shaving foam an all) and throw it away rather than using copious quantities of paper towel!!! I squirted a covering of shaving foam (not a huge amount as, frankly, I was only half expecting this to work) and sprinkled black and lemon brusho crystals on .... no activation - hmmm. My inner coward MADE ME spray just the teensiest amount of water ..... then I swirled (I used another of those gourmet coffee shop wooden stirring sticks) and pressed my snippet of card in. On removal I took my paper towel and sort of scraped (MISTAKE! Memo to self, remove excess foam in a swirling motion ... you will see why when you look at the photo) off the excess. Hmm, you can see where I smudged the black brusho but, in the main I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well this worked. I may try it again but will be a bit more careful in the preparation and removal of the foam .. check it out
 
I think "scraping" is the cause of the smudging, need to be "double dog" careful
because of the brusho activation with moisture
 
I think you'll agree though, despite needing a little refinement, the technique DOES work with brusho crystals!

Was it me or was there really almost NOTHING on the TV yesterday? I thought I'd missed a Public Holiday when I saw that the Great Escape was on!!! Early night for me, last night, with my kindle!
 
Have a great Sunday
 

16 comments:

Debs M said...

Love the cute snowman and your experiment with brusho! Glad the lack of water didn't stretch out too long! x

Chana said...

Nice work! Good job with the technique! Thanks for sharing with us here at 613 Avenue Create! See you back here next week. Be sure to check our FB page for more inspiration. www.facebook.com/avenue613
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Beautiful card, so pretty and sparkly! Ingrid xx

Lesley Thomas said...

I thought the same thing with the TV - I watched a film in the afternoon, and Casualty in the evening. That was ir for my Saturday entertainment. Life is ever thus - I rely in my kindle or lap top too. Glad you got the water back.

Loli said...

Hola Kathy, you're the faster cardmaker!! congratulations!!!, so cute and lovely quick card.
Hugs from Palma

Sue - said...

When I did the shaving foam thing, (you can see it here http://susanscardcreations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/brushos-and-shaving-foam.html) I used aplastiv tray but any shallow one would do, then washed it down the sink when I'd finished! Saves on the kitchen towel!

~ginny said...

Good for you girl! 20 minutes... I would never make it! I like the holographic blue matting - really makes the image pop. Thank you for sharing your project & creativity at our house!
Challenge #90 - Anything Goes [w/ optional: Create Your Own Challenge]
~ginny, DT for 613 Ave Create
RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

alex said...

Lovely CAS Christmas card, thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create, hope to see you again soon
{613 DT Member}
Alex x

SARN said...

Hmm, interesting Brusho result and a lovely 20 min festive make. Well done that woman!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Loll Thompson said...

Hi Kathy. Glad your water came back on ... can't imagine surviving a day without it! :)

Love your sparkly (and cuddly) snowman ... beautiful card and love the color of the background.

Your experiment with Brushos and shaving foam is so cool ... what a lovely background or die-cut it will make! Very artsy! Loll xx

Katie Berberich said...

Well done Steve! Hope you both enjoy the wine. ;)
What a cute card, just goes to show what you can achieve in such a short time.
The shaving foam technique brings back memories of when my two were in pre-school! Ha, ha -love it!
Have a great day Kathy.
Katie x

Di said...

Great snippets make Kathy! I actually like the scraped Brusho look as well.

Hugs, Di xx

Heather said...

Cute! And so sparkly!! Good for you being able to create a card in under 20 minutes. Even CAS cards seem to take me forever! Thanks for playing with CHNCC2.

Hazel said...

Tee hee - great idea to show the clock! Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

Shana Gaff said...

That faux mother of pearl is beautiful! I just love it when I have great leftovers lying around to use up on a fast card. Thanks for sharing with us at ATCAS. :)

Jaydee said...

WOW. I can't believe you did this card in 20 minutes! I love your snowman. Great take on the code word and so glad you were able to join us at ATCAS this week
Jaydee