Monday, 8 September 2014

Monday and the start of a new week - time to try something new too?!?!?

Hi there
 
First order of business is to welcome a new follower, Bea, from Scotland - thanks for stopping by and joining my list of followers. Hope you will find a reason to stop by from time to time.
 
You could be forgiven for thinking I'd lost the plot and posted a photo for What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday but, no ..... One of my good blogging buddies was at a Brusho's workshop this past weekend and she shared some of her experiences with me ...... she even inspired me to get out a set of seldom inked stamps and get them inky .... even encouraging me to use my brusho's in proper watercolour fashion, something I had yet to do at that point, thanks, SARN, and now I would like to share some of my "play" time with you all ....
 
Ready to get cracking:- First stamp your image then take your palette, brush, brusho's and water

And get cracking!

On  roll now!
 
Materials used:
  • Ryman's 200gsm white cardstock
  • Inkadinkado Morphic flower clear stamp set and acrylic block
  • Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Paintbrush, water
  • Brusho watercolour crystals in: orange, leaf green, purple and ultramarine
 
Still needs a little work but not too bad for a first attempt - I make no claim to being an artist!

On a creative roll here I followed a couple of links starting at Sarn's blog then on to Eileen's and then Anja's before ending up at a youtube video from Scottiecrafts, which covered the use of distress stains, mica spray and cling film (it's called GLAD in the U.S. - it's a cellophane wrap) and I thought ... "why not try it with brusho's?" so .... off I went


Right - all I need now is for it to DRY!!
 It's dry - HUZZAH, after the big reveal here's what I ended up with ...


1) small piece of gloss card, Brusho's:-ultramarine, turquoise, lemon + Perfect Pears

Larger piece of gloss card, Brusho's:- lemon, leaf green, ultramarine + Perfect Pearls
Larger piece of gloss card, Brusho's: purple, orange, lemon + perfect pearls


Close up of the previous example, to show the fab shimmer obtained by adding the perfect pearls
 
Materials used:
  • Glossy card stock - one sheet of A4 cut randomly in to three different sized pieces
  • Perfect Pearls mica spray in sunshine yellow
  • Brusho's water colour crystals sprinkled randomly around these sheets .. the first two I activated with water before adding mica spray but this made it QUITE wet so, with the third I used the mica spray to activate the crystals - bet it's the first to dry! I used: purple, lemon, orange, turquoise, ultramarine, leaf green and purple
  • Water spritzer
  • Cling film (Glad wrap)
  • Non stick craft sheet (actually it's a non stick oven sheet which was about £1 from Aldi)

Apparently, THE essential thing about this technique is to let it dry NATURALLY and to NOT take a heat gun to it ..... quite aside from the not insignificant risk of melting the cling film you run the risk of diluting the rocking colour combinations!. You have been warned!!!! Of course, the temptation is to keep checking to see if it's dry but, Scottiecrafts says you will be able to see when all of the liquid has dissipated from the cling film pockets. Now all I have to do is decide how to make them in to a project ..... I'm thinking Versamark and white embossing powder on the deep purple piece - any thoughts? Having cut the larger pieces to card size I was left with some "snippets", so I decided to make on in to an ATC using the white embossing powder and see how it looked ... apologies for the photograph, I took five and this was the best .... trust me, the truer colours are the panels in the photos above!




Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Glossy card stock coated with Brusho's (as per the cling film technique above) using purple and lemon
  • Anti static bag swiped over coloured panel
  • Clearly Inspired agapanthus image (stamped twice) and Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Versamark ink and white embossing powder then heat embossed

Busy and experimental day yesterday - not much to show for it .... yet! One thing I did find interesting ... having activated two using water and one just the perfect pearls to activate the brusho's ... once dry, the perfect pearls brushed off on my fingers on this ATC sized panel. BUM! I didn't check the PP activated panel ...... so I don't know whether the same applied there. What I did do, however, was give all the panels a squirt of spray and shine to see if I could prevent further loss - will report back once I've worked on the other panels but, if you are having a go at this technique please bear this in mind. Equally, if you've already tried it AND found a way round it then I should LOVE to know what you did!

Just found out I was in the TOP 3 over at Addicted to CAS - for my "luxury" entry - thanks peeps

             
                                                           this was my entry - remember it now?

Happy Monday


14 comments:

Lilian said...

Kathy. I just love the two stamps you used. What you have done with them looks great,

The other set look real fun to do. love to see what if anything you make with them.
Hugs
lilian

Squirrel x said...

Looks to me like you had super fun, love all those amazing colours hun! Hugs xx

SARN said...

Woot woot . . . absolutely LOVE the look of your Brusho and cling film experiments.

Also . . .I'm going to nab the idea of embossing on top!

My Perfect Pearls is also rubbing off. Gonna try hairspray to fix it when I get home tonight.

Can't believe I have to work today when really all I want to do is play in the craft room!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Jane said...

Absolutely love the clingfilm and brusho. I've not used brusho since I retired from teaching and am excited to see it returning to my life thanks to your inspiration. Always loved the bright in your face colours of brusho. Just need to find a pocket of time to experiment!

Lesley Thomas said...

Love the inky techniques, I have some brusho powder around somewhere, I just can't put my hands on them at the moment. Love those stamps too, I don't know how you manage to track down 'different' stamps I never see anywhere else!

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! You HAVE been busy. What a lot to feast our eyes upon today. LOVE that technique and the fabulous colour combo's too. The ATC with the white embossing powder really makes the most of the glorious snippets - waste not, want not and all that jazz.

Congrats on making the Top 3 too. Perfect start to the week I'm thinking. Lx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Holy cow, that cling wrap technique is amazing! I am going to try that one for sure! lol about the heat gun! That make me laugh! Congrats on your win, so well deserved! Hugs :)

Debs M said...

wow great experiments! x

catherine said...

You have been busy experimenting Kathy but I just love those pieces and the colours!! They are going to make fabulous backgrounds. Well done on your CAS Luxury entry
x catherine

Bea said...

Your cards lovely and I really like how you have created the background - they are quite stunning.

Louise Wright said...

the brushos look fab used as water colours. Great backgrounds with the cling film. I have added some of my cards to the clubhouse blog :-) (don't want to overwhelm people though!) Hope you have a good week x

Karen Petitt said...

Love them Kathy! I followed on from Sarn's but I already follow you, I'm the lurker at the back lol. Will pop back tomorrow to check how you created these and see if it is something I think I can do with my Brusho's. There has been some awful enablement of them and I've got a couple more colours Karen x

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous backgrounds, love the vibrancy of the colours and that gorgeous ATC. Congrats on your Top 3 place xx

Deepti said...

Sooooo pretty :) thank you for sharif with oriental !