Saturday, 20 September 2014

Saturday and it's another challenge day for me ......

Morning readers
 
How are you all? Hope your Saturday has kicked off well and that you have lots of things to look forward to this weekend.
 
I have a couple of things to share with you today .... my dear hubby went shopping yesterday (for household and grocery supplies) and I asked him to add shaving foam to the list ... I've been wanting to try the shaving foam technique for AGES and ages but .... I only have about three re-inkers. I had a sudden lightbulb moment and a quick search of youtube confirmed my suspicions. YES, alcohol inks work too!!! YAY! I certainly have a few of those as anyone who's visited my home to craft will attest!
 
I chose to work with just four today though .... the youtube videos suggested using a paper plate but (rather recklessly) I decided to "wing it" as we don't have any paper plates! I just used a non stick craft sheet (actually acquired from Aldi - its original purpose being an oven sheet, we crafters will use ANYTHING!)
 
Ready to roll

And then .... a shake (of the shaving foam) and a smoosh (of shaving foam again) a drizzle (alcohol inks) and a swizzle of both the foam and the inks and ....
 
Does this remind anyone else of bakewell tarts?
And with some pre cut card at the ready ......
 
A splendidly messy technique, just a bit of fun!
 
Kitchen roll deployed to wipe off the excess and then set aside to dry .. I re-inked just once to get the examples below
 
And there you have it .... some background papers!
 
I imagine that, with practice, you could become quite adept at making patterns but mine just smooshed! I imagine I've used about 2% of my foam so still plenty of life (and backgrounds) in the tin yet .... AND I have a stock of alcohol inks in various colours which may live to play another day.
 
Over at Simply Less Is More their new challenge is:-
"Face the music and dance"

My CAS card
 
A close up - to show the sparkle!
 
And a view of the inside and envelope
Yes, I went with "Anniversary", I figured the sparkle made it super special enough!
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of: white card, black card, silver mirri card
  • Unknown image of dancing couple (unmounted and unpackaged .... my memory's good ... but not THAT good!) stamped using Versafine onyx black ... for a good solid impression
  • Twinkling H2O in lavender water coloured on to the dancers dress, to give a little definition
  • Panel then sprayed with silver Spray and Sparkle to both set and add super twinkles!!
  • Close to my Heart sentiment
  • FOR THE INSIDE I added the anniversary sentiment by Hero Arts
 
Super speedy finishing my entry for LIM this week because I have to head out shortly and hubby's rubbish at this card making malarkey so I thought I'd get a wiggle on and get it done  before I went!! We had no water when I got up anyway so it's not like I could put laundry in or even get showered!!

Happy Saturday

21 comments:

My name is Wynneth said...

Happy Saturday to you too mrs k, you appear to have got off to a flying start this morning ! Hope the water situation is resolved soon. I too am off out this morning, so out of bed earlyish myself, although not had chance to hit my table of craftiness, laundry to peg out to dry. Hoping for some crafting time once I get home again later.

Loving your LIM card, that is a fabulous image, and the subtle touch of colour is perfect, along with all the sparkle.

Have a great day.
Luv
Wynneth
X

My name is Wynneth said...

Forgot to say, well done on trying out the shaving foam technique, not had a go myself yet, might have to raid mr Tom's toiletries ha ha !

Luv
Wynneth
X

Chrissie said...

What a great dancing image Kathy!
Thanks so much for your good wishes, Guernsey so far is beautiful!
Chrissie
Less is More

Jane said...

Love the shaving foam results and thanks for the tutorial. It reminded me of toothpaste though, not as edible as bakewell tart!

SARN said...

WOW - I spy with my little eye . . . A LOT OF FUN being had at your TOC (Table of Craftiness). Fab marbling with the shaving foam there!

SUPER anniversary card for the LIM challenge too.

Happy Saturday xxxx

Lesley Thomas said...

No water? That's not good enough, is it, considering you pay for it. I've had some shaving foam for ages, and STILL not tried it - it's ridiculous as I love all the results I've seen.

I love your dancers too - great stamps!

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Hi Kathy! Funny you say that... I bought a shaving foam for exactly that, but left it in the bathroom in case the kids got to it as they like to rummage through my stash now and then and I ended up telling my partner off for using up 'my' shaving cream! :)
just you wait when he buys his own ;)
Great results! I love your shimmery CAS card. gorgeous!
Ingrid x

Pamellia Johnson said...

What a great CAS card! I love the touch of colour you added to her dress, it's subtle and elegant! Love that you did a matching envelope too! hugs :)

Di said...

Wow, LOVE those backgrounds Kathy! And what a great LIM card - it stuns me how the challenge publishes at 8am on a Saturday and you're almost always first in - do you have starting blocks in your craft room? :)

Hugs, Di xx

Loli said...

Hola Kathy!!, i'm so happy to see you on my blog.
Oooh what great idea for make backgrounds, so clever!, i think i need to try;D
Fantastic your dancing couple card, i like the spakle touch.
A hug from Palma and have a nice week.

scrappyjacky said...

Such a gorgeously elegant card.

Louise Wright said...

Not tried the shaving foam thing- thanks for the photos showing us how to do it. Looks like a more controlled way of doing marbling (have you tried that?).
great heads up on using a non stick oven sheet for crafting- I hadn't thought of that but might go get one when they are next on offer :-)
Hope you are having a good weekend x

Michelle De Rooy said...

Amazing card. You ahve inspired me t dig out my Twinkling H2Os I had almost forgotten about them.

LesleyG said...

Keep meaning to try the shaving foam one, looks fab. Lovely elegant LIM card, and thank you for your kind comments xxx

Debs M said...

Love the effect of the alcohol inks and shaving foam! Great card - the spray and sparkle looks great x

Sazzle Dazzle said...

WOW! First in again Kathy this week ... you'll take some beating! I have an image of you sat at your craft desk at 8am on a Saturday morning and as soon as the LIM post appears it's READY, STEADY, CRAFT as oppose to COOK!
Superb dancing image and fantastic shaving foam technique you've explained.
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Fiona said...

Hi Kathy
Lovely card...very Strictly! Hope your water is back on?
x

Lynne said...

Beautiful LiM card Kathy. Love your shaving foam results too, reminded me of Aquafresh toothpaste lol.
Lynne xxx

Squirrel said...

Ooh, glimmery! Love that stamp too.
Rosey x

Anne said...

Kathy you were quick off the mark, super sparkly creation!
Thank you so much for joining us this week at Less is More
Anne
LIM Designer

Sid said...

Fab cards Kathy !!