Friday, 12 September 2014

Welcome to the start of the weekend!

Morning readers
 
And welcome to another Friday ..... hope you all have something fun to look forward to this weekend.

First order of business is to welcome my latest follower, Loll (remember I embedded her fab video in my Wednesday post?) - thanks for joining my (hopefully) happy band of followers - hope you will stop by again some time soon.
 
Me? I'm off out shortly, to meet up with fellow crafter, ScrappyJacky - we've met a couple of times before and she's heading my way to attend a Crafting Retreat , in Cirencester - we'll meet at Swindon and will no doubt "do" lunch and a little light retail therapy at Snazzys too!! It'll be fun and I HOPE there may be some pix tomorrow . . . . part of me is really wishing I could have "retreated" too!!!
 
As you will know, if you stopped by on Wednesday, I discovered a fun technique this week (courtesy of Loll) and it evolved to encompass different materials as the week progressed.
 
Here's an example made using the Iridescent Medium/Distress Ink incarnation ....
 
 
My card (the camera wanted flash, darn it!)

The co-ordinating insert and envelope

And a closer view of the image panel
It's super SHIMMERY in real life but tricky to photograph, sadly
 
Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 11cm x 16cm white card panel (for insert)
  • Distress Ink/Iridescent Medium panel as per Wednesday's technique (see it here)
  • Black card and silver mirri card, for matting with the aid of a 1/16" perfect layering ruler and my trusty craft knife
  • Penny Black rose image and Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Spray and Shine to seal the Distress Ink (in case of rain in transit!)
And here comes another one ... I did warn my Wednesday readers that I just might have to make something Christmas-y!
 
 

My card ...

With the matching insert and envelope

Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Green panel made on Tuesday and using Distress Inks in peacock feathers and mown lawn plus the iridescent medium
  • Black card and gold mirri card, for matting
  • Penny Black sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Penny Black "Poinsettia" image (both from the "Joyous" set of "T" for Transparent stamps) stamped using Versamark ink before liberally sprinkling the wonderful "Agatha" embossing powder (- it's two tone black/gold and is from Sparkle 'n Sprinkle) and heat embossing

It's another to add to my growing collection - I've now made 72 this year and am on target with my eight per month - HUZZAH, no last minute panic for me this year!! Still got tags to make though! Must get on with some of those - and SOON!

Over at Freshly Made Sketches they've a doozy of a CAS stylee sketch ... check it out...


Here it comes, do me a favour and feign surprise will you? It's only another blooming Christmas card ... the image panel came out a little larger than planned but hey, still lots of white space - hope you can still identify with the sketch.




Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Distress Ink (festive berries/picked raspberry) and Iridescent Medium panel Die cut in to fancy book plate shape
  • Large fancy bookplate die used to cut next sized panel from red card (excess used to mat my sentiment panel)
  • Penny Black poinsettia image stamped on to the D.I. panel using Versamark ink, sprinkled with black sparkle embossing powder which I then heat embossed
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped on to white card snippet using Versamark/black sparkle/heat embossing combo before matting first on to black card and then on to red
  • Faux "pink diamonds" added as a further embellishment
Of course this now makes 73 Christmas cards for 2014 and still only mid September - woo hoo, now, if only the Christmas shopping were quite that organised! Mind you, since I've the whole card thing nailed I COULD start on the tags OR the shopping ...... ooh THE SHOPPING!!! I got off to such a great start earlier in the year and got about 1/3rd done and since then - NADA! Well, I suppose that's one third less that I will have to dash about and buy and I already have a doozy of an idea for my Secret Santa gift ......
 
Yesterday I was asked (by Surrogate Daughter #2) if I could make a card for her boys to give their "Ampy" for his birthday .... using a photo that I took recently ... what I needed was a masculine face for my card and what better technique to use than my "latest craze?
 
Stamped and the iridescent medium applied
Definitely a masculine pair of images here
 
With the addition of the distress inks
Masculine colours too!
The finished card
I hope they'll like it - I'm quite pleased with how it turned out
Materials used:
  • 14cm square cream aperture card and matching envelope
  • Craft Stamper free pocket watch and Handprints fob watch images stamped using Ranger Archival ink
  • Iridescent medium applied randomly using scrunched up cling film - this was then set aside to dry
  • Distress Inks: tea dye and aged mahogany applied using a splodgeaway mat, Tim Holtz blending tool and a foam pad
  • Sentiment computer generated (using Fluffy Stacks font), cut out and then aged using the tea dye ink (i.e. the blending tool without re-inking!). I used the same font to generate a suitable sentiment on the insert, which I then cut to fit the card blank and glued in, as the last step
  • Snippets or rust and black card for matting, at 1/16" using my perfect layering ruler and craft knife
  • Spray and Shine sprayed to protect the inking in transit and allowed to dry
  • After carefully positioning the photo and marking its position I glued it in place with Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue, glued down the aperture backing layer and attached the insert and ... BINGO - all done, and within the time frame specified - HUZZAH!

And now for this week's Friday Funny, courtesy of my pal, Lilian, and comes with apologies to anyone who happens to be a tax inspector! Of course, she may not get to see this as she's been having computer "issues" and the computer "doctor" has had to "admit it" ..... Get Well Soon Lilian's 'puter!
 
Subject: Fw: Revenue
At the end of the tax year, the Revenue office sent an inspector to audit the books of a local hospital.
While the Revenue agent was checking the books he turned to the C E O of the hospital and said, "I notice you buy a lot of bandages. What do you do with the end of the roll when there's too little left to be of any use?"

"Good question," noted the C E O. "We save them up and send them back to the bandage company and every now and then they send us a free box of bandages."

"Oh," replied the auditor, somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer. But on he went, in his obnoxious way.

"What about all these plaster purchases? What do you do with what's left over after setting a cast on a patient?"

"Ah, yes," replied the C E O, realising that the inspector was trying to trap him with an unanswerable question. "We save it and send it back to the manufacturer, and every now and then they send us a free package of plaster."

"I see," replied the auditor, thinking hard about how he could fluster the know-it-all

C E O. "Well," he went on, "What do you do with all the leftover foreskins from the circumcisions you perform?"

"Here, too, we do not waste," answered the C E O. "What we do is save all the little foreskins and send them to the Revenue Office, and about once a year they send us a complete prick”.

I've a pal who started a new job this week (no, NOT as a tax inspector, before you ask!), "Hi Debs, hope it went just great", I'm sure you will all join with in hoping she loves this new post.
 
 
Have a splendid weekend ... as this is the second post with the faux mother of pearl technique HEAVILY featured .... I hope to have worked it out of my system so I can share something else with you all in my next post - wish me luck!
 

16 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

ROFL - I know a couple of ex-tax inspectors and I still laughed out loud (I know they will too :oD)

Fabulous cards, and SO MANY! I just LOVE that technique and it works so well with the flower silhouettes too!

Have a great weekend matey.

Lx

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Wow! What an amazing selection of cards! They are all gorgeous! Have fun at the Craft retreat! Xx

Clare Lloyd said...

The backgrounds look ace on final projects. Enjoy your day with jacky.

Lesley Thomas said...

My you have been busy this week, and all the cards look great! Love the funny too. LOL.

Sue - said...

A great selection of cards and I did chuckle at the 'funny'

SARN said...

Well, as you KNOW . .. I am just loving Loll's technique and you've made some FABULOUS things using the backgrounds up.

Let me tell you, I was SHOCKED when I saw another Christmas card . . . was that a good enough feign of surprise??????!

Leave some stock at Snazzys for others to play with please!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Deepti said...

Fab cards! I enjoy seeing the fab BGs u create :)

Stephanie Poteet said...

Beautiful cards as always ~ You're amazing!

cheryl said...

Oh fab fab cards hun love the rose great chuckle too hun hugs cheryl xxx

Bea said...

Hi kathy - another great selection - I really like the blue background and stamped rose. Hope you had a good lunch with your crafty friend.
x

Debs M said...

Great makes and love the ff! Thanks for the well wishes x

Hettie said...

Great cards there Kathy. I hope you have a great weekend of therapy and err therapy!
Very funny.
Hugs
x

Jen said...

What gorgeous cards, all! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Loll Thompson said...

Hi Kathy. You have really embraced this technique!! :) Beautiful cards ... all so unique and creative. Especially love the one for "Ampy" with the picture of the two boys --- so sweet!

Have a great lunch out with your crafty friend and hope you get in lots of retail therapy :) Loll xx

Narelle Farrugia said...

Wow - you've been busy! I love the striking combo of red and white for Christmas! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

SARN said...

Have updated my latest blog post to link to you. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement mate.

Hugs, Sarn xxx