Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning all,
 
Welcome to another Wednesday ..... hope your week's going well.

Be warned, this post's a bit of a marathon - you might want to take a comfort break and grab a coffee before you get cracking ...... you HAVE been warned .... but I hope you will feel it's worth it too!
 
Been a week of experimentation - some worked and some didn't! I also ran out of Rangers multi medium (40z - matte) and I went on-line to find that I could get it for a reasonable price with free P&P - from the U.S. or I could pay £20 for it!! (normally retails at £5 - £6) - If I wanted a U.K. supplier then I either had to buy the 1oz size or they were out of stock! WHAT!!!!! So, I still don't have any!
 
Further to Sunday's experiment with brusho's and perfect pearls ... and the resulting disappointment as the perfect pearls brushed off ...... I tried a similar treatment but using Distress Stains and  "Firework" mica spray (in lulu lavender!) by Tsukineko
 
A combination of Distress Stains in spun sugar, Victorian velvet, tarnished brass, tumbled glass
and then a squirt (or three) of the Firework lulu lavender
scrunched under cling film and left to dry
 
Looking good and no brush off ..... so was it the brusho's or the perfect pearls I wonder ..... I may never know


Look at the FABULOUS shimmer on that?
Just HAD to make it in to something  ...... and quick!
 
I quite liked this so decided to duplicate the materials
and challenge my Isle of Skye trading card buddy
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Gloss card treated with Distress Stains/firework mica spray in lulu lavender (see above)
  • Clearly Inspired poppy image stamped using Ranger Archival ink
  • Scarlet and brilliant red brusho crystals made up with water and watercoloured
  • Hero Arts sentiment and Stampabilities border stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
 
Trust me when I say that it's gorgeously shimmery IRL! Can't wait to see what my trading card buddy does with the duplicate materials


So, this is what I will be sending my trading card buddy
1 x Distress Stain/mica spray panel, 1 stamped image and 1 stamped sentiment

Many of you may be familiar with the work of Loll Thompson, she's just launched her first youtube video on a variation of the above technique



So then, of course, I HAD to see if I could do this .... I don't have "frost paint" but I wondered whether Iridescent Medium might work instead ..... I was pretty sure that distress inks would work instead of the Stamping Up inks that Loll used. Want to see how it turned out?


 

This show the frosted effect is a smidge more detail .. doesn't it?

Materials used:
  • Rymans 200gsm card (no need for special glossy card stock!)
  • Iridescent Medium applied with scrunched up cling film/GLAD/Cellophane wrap and allowed to dry
  • Distress Inks: (R-L) Ripe Persimmon & Picked Raspberry, Picked Raspberry & Squeezed Lemonade x 2, Salty Ocean & Peacock Feathers - applied with a Tim Holtz blending tool and then buffed (to remove some of the ink from the iridescent medium, to allow the shimmer to show through.

I think I like this technique - A LOT!!! SO EASY too. Do take a minute to watch Loll's lovely video. Apparently Iridesent Medium ROCKS this technique but there are probably other mediums if you don't have frost paint or I.M. .... a blogging buddy suggested liquid pearls - COULD work, she's going to be giving it a try.

I shall now be attempting (without the aid of a safety net I might add) to turn some of these panels in to something useable ..... I'm HOPING that I shall be able to stamp over the iridescent medium without issue ........


 


Materials used:
  • Two of the panels (as described above)
  • ATC blank
  • Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Kaisercraft sentiment and Clearly Inspired coneflower (for the ATC on the left)
  • Penny Black image and sentiment from the "Allegra" set of clear stamps (for the ATC on the right)
  • Spray and Shine squirted over the finished ATC's to protect the Distress Inks in transit!

Cool huh? I'm dead impressed. Yes, you CAN stamp over the iridescent medium - I'm not sure how some inks would work but it worked with the Archival. It turns out that this is my fave technique in a while .... kind of addictive too ... so I simply had to try some different colours - I THOUGHT of purple but then thought no, everyone will be expecting that from me, so ....




Materials used:
  • Ryman's 200gsm card snippets
  • Distress Inks: L-R ... Salty Ocean & Stormy Sky, Festive Berry & Picked Raspberry. Peacock Feathers & Mown Lawn

Oh My - you just HAVE to try it ... I can see the above becoming some kind of Christmas project ....

You may also recall that I have been trying to finish the Me Time Messages summer school project, run by Clare.



Thought I should get my finger out since the children have returned to school. HOWEVER I rushed the back of this project and wound up hating it (well, one side of it anyway) - I share it with you so you can all see that whilst patience IS a virtue it plainly is not one I am possessed of - which (I believe) was one of the Me Time Messages earlier in the sequence!
 
 
The BACK - sadly, I have no excuse for this - sorry peeps
What a TOTAL dogs breakfast!!!! What WAS I thinking?!?!?!?

The FRONT - much better

And now for what's on my work desk ...

TIDY? WOT AGAIN? How many weeks is this now? Scary, isn't it?

And over at CASology their new challenge is "THREE" so I may be working on that later but I think you peeps have done well to get to the bottom of this marathon so, I'll save it for another post!!

Have a fabulous Wednesday peeps
 

15 comments:

Lilian said...

great work Kathy, and so busy. WOW thats is a tidy desk.
Hugs
lilian

SARN said...

Who is this TIDY DESK Purplicious Person and what have you done with the REAL Kathy K?

Only kiding . . . I KNOW it's YOU really cuz of all your WONDERFUL inkiness projects. You have been a busy girl.

I can play tonight! YIPPEEEEE!

Thanks for sharing the video and all your info on variations.

LOVING that coneflower ATC - wanna swap one with me?????

Happy WOYWW

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sue - said...

Morning Kath. Some interesting techniques there - I finally succumbed and brushos are winging their way to me! I think you're being too hard on yourself as I like the back of your mixed media project. I like the colour combo on it.

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Hi Kathy! What a great post! I love your shimmery cling film technique. I have been wanting to try this for some time so thank you for the nudge ;) brushos arriving today so that's another bonus! Can't wait!
Loll's video is super-cool and can't wait to give it a go myself. I know what you mean about UK, shipping etc. I have found a few good deals on amazon with a free postage from the US. It depends what you're buying and also you have to keep an eye on them in your wish list as prices change so you have a good chance to get it for a good price. I find that supermart US are a good seller there. Worth a try..
Great desk full of craftiness.. I craft on my kitchen counter standing up so I love the idea of an untidy desk where I can leave my stuff and ready to go whenever. Donna was joking that brushos get everywhere and that My partner will appreciate his rainbow sandwiches for sure ;) lol
Xx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Kathy, you have so many things on the go, I can barely walk and talk at the same time! lol. Love all the techniques you're using. I gave the cling wrap a go yesterday...did NOT look as beautiful as yours! Great work :)

scrappyjacky said...

Love the frosted effect and the cards you made with it.
Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Crikey! You HAVE been beavering away haven't you. I just love the fabulous cling film technique. It is SO cool!

Such tidiness!!! Mine looks like a BOMB SITE! The worst kind of carnage!! I really must tidy up. You quite put me to shame Mrs ;oD

Lx

Loll Thompson said...

Wow ... all your "experimenting" turned out beautifully Kathy.

Love the technique with the different mediums you've used ... all are so beautifully and totally unique. And LOVE the stamping you did overtop.

I updated my post with the video yesterday, including the fact that there are different acrylic paints that could be used ... and definitely that distress inks would work perfectly for this technique ... and then there you've already done it! :)

Thanks so much for the shout out and the link to my video --- much appreciated. Loll xx

Clare Lloyd said...

Lots of fab makes kathy. Great technique wonder if PaperArtsy glazes would work? Something for me to add to the list!

Debs M said...

loving that effect!! great makes x

Darnell J Knauss said...

Your posts are getting as long as mine, KathyK! I enjoyed every single minute of this one and my eyes were delighted down the scope of the whole thing. I love that you included Loll's video and then made your own similar attempts with spectacular results! Thank you for that inspiration! Your brusho bursts of spun sugar color and gold were even better!! I'm pretty much sitting here with lockjaw now!!

Thank you for your comment at my place. Was that your way of asking for my address? Cousin I'd love to be card pen pals with you!! I'll send you an email; I think we have each other's addresses. Hugs, Darnell

Viv said...

Oh my you have been busy Kathy! great cards/shimmeriness too.I love everything ;) Viv xx

Bea said...

Hi kathy
great backgrounds and cards but I am so impressed with your tidy desk - oh how I wish I was that organised.
xx

Claire said...

Looks like you've been busy Kathy - I watched the cling film technique on You Tube the other day with Liquid Pearls...works a treat I think. All the cards look amazing - so unique!

Deepti said...

Seeing ur cards, I am inspired to try new mediums and techniques !! Love the results u achieved