Friday, 17 October 2014

And welcome to another Friday peeps

Morning
 
Hope your week has been going just great - it's been fab here but then ..... for me, every day's like a holiday!!

Yesterday saw me out shopping and lunching with my good friend and neighbour, Sally. We nipped to a couple of places and picked up a few things (Sally cracked on with some Christmas shopping) and we then nipped to the Ale House for their meatloaf lunch special ..... we both brought home doggy bags - BIG portions!!! Guess what we're having for lunch tomorrow then???
 
Recently, our neighbours grandson was rushed to hospital with stomach pains .... CAT scan, blood works, the whole nine yards - when you're a young teenager that's a pretty scary thing to happen. So, not much I could do except break out some new stash and make the lad a get well card ....


My card ......

The co-ordinating insert and envelope


Materials used:
  • White gloss card stock DL card and matching sized envelope
  • White and black card snippets ..... the black strips were the perfect fit for the offcuts when breaking in to a sheet for 2 x 14cm panels, for my square cards - don't you love it when a plan comes together?!?!?
  • Kaleidacolour "denim" set of inks, loaded on to a brayer and rolled - at first I was disappointed with the blotchiness but ... it grew on me and I now think it's perfect for a lads card, with the addition of the grungey background stamps
  • Tim Holtz stencil with Distress Ink in faded jeans sponged through
  • Freckled Fawn (A recent prize and, to date, NBUS!) frame stamped on to white card using Memento tuxedo black and then a Fiskars  sentiment (new NBUS) stamped using Versafine Majestic blue (or is it imperial - blowed if I can remember!)  before matting on to black card
  • Stamplorations grungey dots stamped randomly using Distress Ink in faded jeans
  • Recollections "splatter" image stamped using Distress Ink in peacock feathers

As you can see I carried part of my design across the insert and envelope - wasn't sure the whole design would sit well with the insert or envelope though I did seal the card front using Aleene's acrylic spray sealant - anyone else use it? It's a pretty wet and ferocious spray I need to get used to! I've made the dye inks run a couple of times and had to start again - grr!

And I recently tried another new technique ..... with distress inks/gesso and a stencil and (as regular readers know) once I try a technique I like .... then I'll try it a good few times till it's stuck in my head so - guess what? Here's another!!! Memo to self though: If I use ordinary cardstock again for making my own stencil then I'll TRY to bear in mind they are SINGLE USE!!! I THINK you will see what I mean but hopefully it hasn't spoilt the card. See what you think


My card
And the co-ordinating insert and envelope


Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm and 14cm square white card panels (each size x 2 including insert) and snippets for image panel
  • Black card for matting
  • Distress Inks: picked raspberry, spiced marmalade, dusty concorde
  • Gesso applied through my home made stencil (see Wednesday's post) with a piece of cut and dry
  • Stampabilities sketch flower stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Alcohol markers to colour
  • Stardust stickles to highlight
  • Stamplorations sentiment builders stamped on to a snippet of white card (coloured using the same D.I.'s) using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Aleene's acrylic sealant sprayed to seal the project and then luminarte spray shimmer to bling it up
 
I'm going to be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. "Make your mark" challenge at Addicted to Stamps and More
  2. Photo inspiration at The Card Concept - I've gone with shabby chic/vintage with distressing/layers



And now for the Friday Funny which comes to you by way of Marsha, thanks mate, you're in the 2014 draw. ENJOY
 

Subject: : Ralph and Edna


 


Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.
Ralph and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Ralph suddenly jumped into the deep end.

He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed there.


Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled him out. When the Head Nurse Director became aware of Edna's heroic act she immediately ordered her to be discharged from the hospital, as she now considered her to be mentally stable.

When she went to tell Edna the news she said, 'Edna, I have good news and bad news. The good news is you're being discharged, since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping in and saving the life of the person you love... I have concluded that your act displays sound mindedness.

The bad news is, Ralph hung himself in the bathroom with his bathrobe belt right after you saved him. I am so sorry, but he's dead.'
Edna replied, 'He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry.
How soon can I go home?'
 

 
Have a great Friday


15 comments:

SARN said...

Two nice inky cards here Kathy.

Liked the FF.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

scrappyjacky said...

Do hope that the lovely card cheers him up.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome backgrounds!!

Clare Lloyd said...

fab cards Kathy. must try the gesso technique!

sandie said...

Love your Ralph and Edna story! And your forst card is perfect for a teenage guy and hopefully that will cheer him up..poor guy. And your second, the colours you have used in the flower really jumped out at me...great combo and the background looks just fab. Thanks for joining us at ATSM. Kathy...take a look at the Inkspirational challenge...designed for you and me I think, here is the link
http://inkspirationalchallenges.blogspot.co.uk

Kathyk said...

Sandie, just checked it out ... purple with grey and/or silver? It does indeed sound simply perfect for us both!

Kathyk

Cornelia W said...

Perfect card for a teenager - hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery! And a fabulous birthday card! Love the background you created! Thanks for playing with us at ATSM!
PS: Thanks for the joke, ha ha ha

Debs M said...

2 fabulous cards - hope he is better soon x

Deborah Frings said...

Both cards are lovely. I'm sure the get well card is much appreciated. Love the birthday card - so pretty! Great technique too. Thanks for playing along with ASM this week!

Rahmat said...

Oh I love this tall card, I guess purple does go well for boys, thanks for joining us at ATSM.

Hettie said...

Gorgeous cards there Karen.
Very funny.
xx

My name is Wynneth said...

That's a great get well card for a young chap. I do so hope that Sally and Roger's Grandson is OK now ?

Love your other card, that sunflower image is fabulous. I can't see what you mean about 'spoiled' it all looks fine to me.

Great FF too.

luv
wynneth
x

Yoonsun Hur said...

Wow!! both your cards are amazing. There are so much details! Thanks for playing with us at the Card Concept!

Deanna Dean said...

A couple of beautiful cards. So glad you joined us at The Card Concept.

Mary Marsh said...

I like the background you created on your card - thanks for playing along with the Card Concept sunflowers challenge