Saturday, 29 November 2014

Saturday and challenge day!!!

Morning all,
 
The Purple Princess is away from her desk today ..... and where (you may well ask) am I? Well, I'm meeting up with two crafting pals at the Stamp Attic in Wantage .... we'll shop and "do" lunch and natter and maybe shop some more!!! Wish us luck .... I imagine our credit cars are already cowering in our wallets! The three of us are leaving our partners at home and on self catering duty - those of you who know me personally will know this is no hardship to my hubby as he does over 90% of the catering in our house anyway!
 
Before I go though ... a little crafting to share with you - it's been a dry week on the crafting front and I blame Cherry!!! She set a monthly challenge over on Craftbubble 2½ (registration required) to produce something featuring both FOOD and SHADING. Now it's not that I didn't like this challenge more like I simply couldn't make a decision .... Christmas/non Christmas, Pro Markers/water colouring ..... I went with water colouring and then thought brushos/Distress Inks? See what I mean? I've even gone for shades of green ... simply because I hardly ever do and I do have quite a few greens in my armoury! - but ... actually? I really like it. Some of you may even recognise who this card may be for but it will involve keeping it a while!  Initially, I wasn't sure about the water colouring process but wanted to give it a go ... I'm just a little disappointed with the "bleed" around the neckerchief but, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with it.
 
 
My card
 
 
And a closer view which I hope will show some shading - chefs whites presented me with an issue but
D.I. weathered wood came through for me!

And my co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square panel of white and light green card
  • Offcuts of black and green card for matting and layering
  • Art Impressions "chef" image stamped on to water colour card and using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Distress Inks: antique linen, peacock feathers, iced spruce, weathered wood, black soot, wild honey, picked raspberry, squeezed lemonade and salty ocean - applied water colour style with a brush
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Shine to protect and seal the water colouring
 
I'll be entering this card for the following challenges:
  1. CASology - "EAT"
  2. Southern Girls Challenge - "CELEBRATE" - who doesn't celebrate birthdays?
  3. Simply Less Is More - 200th challenge!!! - "CELEBRATE - as above
 
Have a fab Saturday - I know I plan to! And, since it's only two more sleeps till December, I was rummaging in the box for the Christmas cards and came across some battery operated lights and my fibre optic USB tree so they're UP!!! SORRY!

 
 
 

25 comments:

Chrissie said...

This must be THE fastest linkup EVER to LIM.
Posted at 8am for a challenge that went live at 8am... you must be psychic Kathy!
It's great fun!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Lauren Hatwell said...

Ooh! What a fab card! Love the pale blue background and crisp black matting. It really highlights your gorgeous image. Did I mention the great sentiment?

Have a great day at Stamp Attic. I look forward to hearing stash updates later.

Lx

Anne said...

Blimey Kathy, that was speedy!!! What a fun card.
Congrats on your Showcase card yesterday, I loved this one, and have fun at my 'local', say Hi to Wendy and Colin. I'm going there too today, but more likely early on
Thank you for joining us at Less is More this week
Anne
LIM Designer

Annette22 said...

what a fun card,
you've even created the inner sides and so you did the envelope, I love that

xxx Annette

Squirrel x said...

Great card Kathy, I wonder who that might be for, lol. Love the image and your shading is fab (I would never be parted from my Weathered Wood). Have a great day hun. Hugs xx

Sue - said...

Love your card! I know someone it would be perfect for too!

Rahmat said...

Lovely card Kathy! I like how you did the envelope and the inside too, fantastic!

Lesley Thomas said...

So you should be sorry. Mine won't go up before about week before Christmas, and that's if I have the energy.

Love the snooty chef!

SARN said...

Super chef card and great watercolouring. Don't worry about the bleeding tie (so to speak) . . . that's what watercolouring is like!

Good job! xxx

Debs M said...

watercolouring is the way to go ;)looks fab Kathy x

Gerrina said...

Beautifully watercoloured! Love the stamp you used. You should try it ofter! It is a luxery problem to have to chose out of all the things we have to make beautiful things :) Enjoy the weekend, Gerrina

OH Babs said...

Such a cute card. My kitchen is decorated with the French chef motif.

Louise Wright said...

incredible card- your colouring is perfect. Wish I could master water colours like that...
Hope the three of you had a ball today- I bet you did ;-)
Wonder what you all bought???? Christmas inspired products or have you 'done' Christmas now? I bet you have made all your cards for 2014 and any made now are for 2015.
Happy Sunday for tomorrow x

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Fantastic card as usual Kathy! Beautifully done! Hazel x

Loli said...

Hola speddy purple girl :D...
Gorgeous your card, your chef is really glamorous:D, fantastic colouring Kathy, well done.
A hug from Palma

Joyce said...

What a fun card, and great take on the challenge word. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

Aileen said...

This is fab. Love the colouring. x

MaryH said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for reminding me to comment to Amazon. I did just that - via their online chat. I couldn't remember the blogger who'd suggested that. Love your watercoloring. You mentioned the bleed around his neck kerchief. It makes the watercoloring look even more 'watercolor-y' I think. I have a bit of 'anal' in me, and I have a problem when I do that too. Actually I'm told by the experts that this makes it look even more handmade, rather than perfectly printed. However it takes you, your card is very well done, love the coloring & perfect shading on his uniform with the grays...great shadows. I'd say you nailed the watercolor. Now I need to get some scoop on the brushos, and break mine out of the package. Hope you had fun on your craft outing and that your credit card didn't hide so far in the wallet that you couldn't find it!! Happy Sunday & TFS.

Loll Thompson said...

Awesome card Kathy. Love the subtle colours of the watercolouring. Such a fun image and I think I know who's it's for :) He will love it! Loll xx

Lynne said...

Love your chef Kathy, looks french to me (don`t know why) which has got me thinking of french cuisine and fine wine. Yummy.
Hope you enjoyed your shopping spree.
Lynne xxx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

WoW! 1st prize for speed Kathy ... you were certainly quick off the mark with this card! Got to be up early to beat you eh!
Superb image and beautifully coloured.
Thanks so much for joining our special 200th challenge this week and sharing your card with us.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Viv said...

Such a super fun card Kathy, I love all the pretty soft coloured watercolouring and that great image too...just love his expression ;)
Viv xx
Guest LIM Designer

wienerhoneymooners said...

Wow!!! What an amazing job coloring!!!! Love it!! Thanks for joining us this week at CASology!!!

Cathy P. said...

Yum! Love the image and your soft watercolors. Thanks for playing along with our 100th Challenge at the Southern Girls Challenge Blog. Hugs, Cathy xx

Carolyn Cochran said...

Great card-has that vintage feel to it! Thanks for playing along with us at Southern Girls Challenge as we celebrate our 100th Challenge!