Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning readers,

Welcome to WOYWDW AND Bonfire Night too ..... for those of you not familiar with the concept of Bonfire Night - check it out here

Some of you may have seen a "nonsense post" appear on Monday which just said blah blah (and even that wasn't spelt correctly!!! I started composing a post and then hubby got all "can I use the lappy .... NOW!" so I quickly uploaded the photos I wanted and hit post instead of save ... DOH! Don't you hate it when that happens?
 
Anyhoo, I started to make the card which appears below right ... had cut the layers for the insert and (as it happens) stuck it to the inside of the card. I stamped the image panel for the front and insert, sprayed with acrylic sealant and left to dry. Went off and had a beer ...... or two, came back and couldn't find my layers (guess who forgot they were already snuggled safely inside my card?) so cut more - can you say, OOPS!? So, I simply made a second card, especially as I quite liked the way it turned out. I tried to make them slightly different despite being the same colours and images. I leave it to you to decide which you prefer ...
 
 
My two accidental card makes!!

With their appropriate inserts and evelopes

Colours used
 
Materials used:
  • White C5 card blank and matching sized envelopes - I bought these blanks from Michaels "budget" range and you HAVE to mat and layer otherwise there is NO substance to them. That said, you get 50 for $5!!!, and, with a 40% discount coupon they are a bit of a bargain!
  • Kraft, tan and white card for matting and layering
  • I applied Distress Ink in pumice stone by just placing on my image panel and pressing lightly and then over inked with Hero Arts neon orange
  • Stampers Anonymous grungey grid stamped using Hero Arts neon green ink
  • Stampers Anonymous retro circles (and sentiment border) stamped using Hero Arts neon pink (STILL loving those neons!)
  • Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black
  • Aleene's acrylic sealant sprayed to protect my work whilst "in transit"

Design carried across the insert and envelope - as is my habit these days!

I'll be entering this card/cards for the "Anything Goes" challenges as follows:

Having been to a Craft Fayre on Sunday and Sally and I decided we could make our own ..... I had seen the thread used (or very similar) in Michaels (and even had some of it but not enough) so we headed off to Michaels to buy materials. Guess what? Michaels don't seem to have it any more ..... so I bought some beads and rummaged through my stash. It's not perfect (by any means) but you get the idea ... I'm going to crochet the next version (recycling this one for other craft purposes!) and have Googled and found a couple of patterns! This is VERY much just a practice run




Ok, so ... being totally honest, that was complete pants!!! Headed out yesterday afternoon and hit Joann's on the 192 - they had the ladder yarn so I bought a skein and a 5.5 crochet hook and had another go ....




Materials used:
  • Skein of Premier Yarns tea house ladder yarn ...... I crocheted about 60cm of chains and made eight lengths
  • 5.5mm crochet hook
  • Large diameter bead

This necklace is adjustable by about 15 - 20cm. I may have a third attempt once I have access to some smaller beads and will crochet them in to the necklace.

And we got to play tourist ... actually we were heading for Lake Eola and looking for the exit for E. Robinson Street. When we saw signs for Rollins College we knew we'd gone too far so went to Winter Park instead. Who knew they'd removed that exit ramp when other road construction was under way!! Still, it's been quite a while since we've been to Winter Park so .... enjoy playing tourist with us whilst viewing my pix.
 
 
Winter Park Rail Station


I know it's a Pottery Barn now ... but doesn't it LOOK like a 1930 style cinema to you too??????

Shopping's more of a pleasure on a street like this isn't it?


The "PARK" element of Winter Park!

And free parking for three or four hours too

We even got to see the new SUN RAIL commuter train pull in (and out!)

Stopped at lights and saw the TARDIS - guess this means the Doctor is IN!
 
And now for my work desk ...



Happy Wednesday peeps
 

12 comments:

SARN said...

Well the border accident is a happy one as you have 2 cards for the price of 1!

Love your tourist photo's.

Happy Wednesday to you.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Bright card today Kathy, love the pics too, and yes, it does look like a cinema!

scrappyjacky said...

Love the 'border' cards.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Both are LUSH Kathy. Couldn't pick one; that would be quite wrong. They are fab!

Loving the necklace too. Very clever! Love the idea of adding smaller beads and look forward to seeing Mark III :oD

Great pics (you're spoiling us today).

Laterz

Lx

Loll Thompson said...

So funny about you "losing" your project on your work desk :) ... I have done that many times!!!

Great thing, you now have two beautiful cards. Love the colours of these --- so fun and happy.

Love pics of the quaint town.

Loll xx

Debs M said...

love both of those cards! great pix and well done with the lovely jewellery x

Dangina Martinez said...

Love your card design! Pretty colors and circles. The necklace is gorgeous too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Loves Rubber Stamps this week!
Hugs, DT Dangina

My name is Wynneth said...

What a fully packed post from you today your Purplisciousness !

Love your BOGO cards, such a 'happy accident' as they are both awesome, for me the vertical design is very slightly ahead if I HAD to choice a favourite.

Oh I do love Winter Park, it would be so awesome to be shopping there and mr t would be in heaven with the fabulous trains running through the centre of town every day. I agree, the Pottery Barn does look ver much like a vintage cinema.

Luv
Wynneth
X

crafty-stamper said...

Both great CAS cards love the circles and colours-think the second one just pips it lol love the pics too-Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspirations
Carol DT x

Dana Joy said...

Fantastic project. Thanks for playing with us at Party Time Tuesdays!

Lydia said...

Beautiful work! Thank you so much for linking up with us at Loves Rubberstamps :)

Bonnie said...

Great card! Thanks so much for participating in our Party Time Tuesday Anything Goes Challenge.