Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Morning and welcome to What's On Your Word Desk Wednesday

Hi readers,
 
Can you believe that there are only seven more sleeps till Christmas? Excited? Me? Nah!! ! Ok, maybe just a little bit - I've always loved Christmas, what can I say!?!??!
 
As always, in the run up to Christmas most people find themselves trying to connect with all of their friends and I have to confess that I am no different. So, it won't come as any surprise to hear that I was meeting up with pals I've known since my primary school days! Back when Noah was a lad and hadn't even heard of woodworking(!) I met Andrea and Naomi and the three of us have been firm friends ever since. We met at 10:00, at a local restaurant that does a great range of breakfast items (in addition to their usual lunch and dinner menu which isn't half bad either) and had brunch whilst catching up and exchanging Christmas cards too. It was lovely to catch up - they both admired the crochet necklace I was wearing and asked if they might have one - so .... when I got home I decided to watch a Christmas movie and run them up which is EXACTLY what I did ..... I hope you will excuse my "models" but last time I  used a Pringles pack and it caused a number of smiles so I thought "why not try again?" .......
 
My "models"!!! hope they made YOU smile!

And one of the necklaces
 
Materials used:
  • Ladder yarn (black thru brown to grey shades)
  • Fancy purple yarn - literally NO IDEA what you might call it!!!
  • Size 5 crochet hook
  • Beads - two large (for the adjustable fastening) and about 12-15 smaller iridescent beads for each necklace
  • Scissors
  • Two beads with fairly large diameter centres - I think they were designed for Pandora bracelets originally!
 
I crocheted ten strands of simple chain stitch of various lengths (but around 24"), incorporating smaller iridescent beads in to the strands, leaving approximately 12" of yarn spare at each end. Once I had all of my strands I knotted all ten strands together at each end, then threading all 20 ends through my large bead (THIS is why it needs to be a fairly large diameter) and before knotting the 20 threads on the far side of the bead ... VOILA, one adjustable necklace. Takes approximately 20 minutes or so to make, looks cool, twinkly and weighs virtually nothing!
 
I'll be entering this over at a Little Bit Crafty where their current (and, sadly, LAST) challenge is "Anything Goes but not Christmas" as it's open to all crafts and not just card making and papercraft which are my normal go to craft!
 
And now, since it's What On Your Work Desk Wednesday, here's a peek at my desk:-
 
 
Uh-Oh! In need of a clear up - again!!!
Maybe over Christmas ........
 
 
Have a great Wednesday peeps - sent your letter to Santa yet?

8 comments:

Squirrel x said...

LOVE your models hun, lol, and the necklace is amazing work, your friends will be over the moon to receive these. But I have to say, your desk looks suspiciously tidy .... definitely needs more mess! Hugs xx

SARN said...

Very cute and cuddly models . . . nice to see some meat on their bones . . . none of this Size Zero rubbish!

Sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday.

Pretty neat desk I'd say! (Mine's neater of course, to please the neat-freak inside me!!!!)

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Ingrid Kristina V said...

:) your models are adorable but I'm in love with the beads! Gorgeous! :)
Xx

catherine said...

Your crocheted necklaces look fabulous Kathy - I unfortunately cannot crochet. I have tried several times to learn but just can't seem to get the hang of it!
Busy looking desk!
x catherine

scrappyjacky said...

Love the models....and the necklaces.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! They look great, and are greatly enhanced by your wondrous models :oD Lx

Debs M said...

lovely looking necklaces Kathy x

Lesley Thomas said...

I don 't know Kathleen, that desk is positively pristine compared to mine. Love the necklaces, and a great way to craft, with feet up and TV on!