Monday, 22 December 2014

Morning - it's the start of CHRISTMAS WEEK

Morning all,
 
You'd better be pretty much on top of "schtuff" by now ..... if not then you only have, like, three days left to achieve it ALL!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Me? I'm off to the hairdressers this morning for the pre Christmas primping - and I am soooooooooo ready for this having missed my last appointment because I was ill and then, just as I was about to reschedule I got a cold (they didn't deserve that!) so I didn't get around to rescheduling .... frankly it feels like my hair is half way down my back (it isn't) and my fringe (bangs) are almost down to the tip of my nose (that one IS true!).
 
As we approach Christmas and pretty much all of the presents and cards have found their new homes ..... so, why is it that I seem to find it impossible to STOP making Christmas cards???
 
For this one I have to lay the blame fairly and squarely with Barbara Grey!! She posted a neat card on her blog and outlined the technique and it really struck a chord with me. I've been TRYING to get more in to water colouring and I couldn't wait to give this a go!, thanks Barbara. Yes, I know I COULD have adapted it to make a card that wasn't a Christmas card but I just couldn't make myself do it!!! So, check out my make below and Barbara's blog post too. . . . .
 
 
My card

And my co-ordinating insert and envelope
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square white card panel
  • low tack tape to mask a strip
  • Distress Inks: festive berries, spiced marmalade. Adirondack ink in lettuce - applied with stencil brushes
  • Santa Rosa Poinsettia image stamped twice using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Water brush to remove colour from the poinsettia and leaves
  • Distress Inks: festive berries/aged mahogany and crushed olive/forest green applied with a brush to add the right colours in the right areas
  • Inkadinkado sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink (and boy how I wish I'd stamped the poinsettia image on the insert BEFORE I stamped the sentiment which, trust me, LOOKED level right up till the moment I added the poinsettia - which IS level!!!)
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Sparkle
 
I'll be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. JingleBelles - "Anything Christmas"
  2. Creative Inspirations - "Christmas or New Year"
  3. Little Red Wagon - "Anything Christmas themed" - my 2nd entry
 
Happy Monday everyone, stay safe today if you have to go out, it's a blowy old day out there!
 

12 comments:

Viv's Visuals said...

Just scrummy cards Kathy - one of my (many) New Year promises to me is to get better at watercolouring! I'm with you at the scissor place this morning - although it's blowing a gale here so likely by the time the wind has got to me head it'll look like I hadn't bothered!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

That is so pretty Kathy . . . I adore the watercolour background strip and the way the Poinsettia isn't affected! I must try that technique, great job! Hazel x

Carolyn Wolff said...

So pretty. Love the sparkle. Thanks for joining us at LRW!

Kathyk said...

Just checking whether the word verification (prove you're not a robot) thing is still active ..

Kathyk

Kathyk said...

And it's not - thank goodness!!!

Kathyk

SARN said...

Hi Kathy - no I can't see the Captcha number thing on your comments section either.

LOVING this technique . . .thanks for the link to Barbara Gray too. Your card is terrific.

Hope you're happy with your Christmas "do".

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Love the card Kathy, and I hope your primping makes you feel more comfortable. I've just got all my shopping in, so I'm done now. Just veg preparation and some tidying to do.

catherine said...

Looks fabulous Kathy and must have a look at the blog.
x catherine

LesleyG said...

pretty card, and fab coordinating insert and envelope....didn't even notice any crookedness. Have a fab christmas xxx

suzanne2 said...

wow these are are beautiful! I love the colouring on the first one, stunning. thank you for joining us and merry Christmas from all at creative inspirations xx

NGCARDS said...

This is a lovely creation! Thanks for playing at Creative Inspirations and we wish you a Merry Christmas! xxx

Loll Thompson said...

Wow ... such a beautiful Christmas card Kathy! Love this technique. And the shimmer adds so much sparkle --- perfect for Christmas time. Loll xx