Saturday, 6 December 2014

Welcome to Saturday chatter day!

Hi everyone,
 
How's your weekend coming along?
 
One of my fave weekly challenges likes their first challenge of each month to be a colour challenge and December is no different ... the talented ladies over at Simply Less Is More have gone with glacial blues this week ... want to see what I made?
 
The finished card
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet of white card coloured using Hero Arts neon blue, Distress Inks in tumbled glass, broken china and salty ocean which were "swiped" across my snippet a la paint sample!!! This did NOT look good but I didn't expect it to as I planned to use gesso as part of my master plan ...

  • I then used a circle punch to make my own stencil using a snippet of card


  • I sponged gesso through my "stencil", till I was happy with the effect created before I scrunched up some cling film and scrunched iridescent medium over my design (a la "faux mother of pearl technique") - to give it a slight texture and an interesting sheen

Here's hoping you can see the iridescent sheen in this one



And the overall design of the bespoke backing paper in this one!

  • I then stamped my Penny Black image using Versafine Imperial blue ink before spraying with Crafters Companion Spray and Shine (to protect in transit) and matting on a turquoise blue layer



And here is the colour inspiration - I didn't have exactly the colours so had to use a little poetic licence but I hope my fellow LIM-ettes will forgive me! I've left a sentiment off thinking it could be a birthday or a get well, thinking of you - it will fit all sorts of occasions in my mind

 
 

Happy Saturday everyone

13 comments:

Rosie Schirrmeister said...

A wonderful piece, Kathyk.

Have a lovely weekend

Lauren Hatwell said...

Very pretty and SO perfect for the challenge. I'm impressed. Lx

scrappyjacky said...

Great interpretation of the colour.

Di said...

Oh this is beautiful Kathy! I giggle each week as am sure you sit at your desk poised ready for the LIM challenge theme to be published :)

Hugs

Di xx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

What a lovely card Kathy! that background you made is lovely (and genius). thank you for your lovely comments on my blog today too! Have a great weekend1 Hazel x

Debs M said...

ooh great idea with the stencil x

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Beautiful use of the colours Kathy and your backdrop is literally a work of art. Thanks for describing your technique.
Thanks as always for taking part.
Sarah
Less is more

Lynne said...

Fabulous card Kathy and I love your background.
Lynne xxx

Loll Thompson said...

Wow! Love how you created your background Kathy ... so beautiful! Loll xx

Jan Ltc said...

Fabulous card xx Jan

Chrissie said...

That is SUCH a fabulous backdrop Kathy... simply stunning. Great card altogether!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Anne said...

Fab background you created Kathy, really wintry colours!
Thank you joining us at LIM this week
Anne
Less is More Designer

Carol said...

Love this Kathy and as you say so different to mine with the same technique. I've always added the "pearl" first to use as a resist, must try it this way too. Carol x